Ancient Mariner
Here's what Maiden members names would be if they were all Irish speakers,

Stiofán Mac Éinrí
Daithi Ó Muireadhaigh
Aidrean Mac Gabhainn
Briuis Mac Risteard
Nioclás Mac an Bhrithuainn
Seán Gers

Murray and McBrain are already from the gaelic language Murray if the scots gaelic translation is used derives from the place name Moray, if the Irish version is used it means Grandson of Muireadhaigh. McBrain means Son of the Judge.

I can't seem to find any information on the surname Gers, I found a thread where a pole speculates that it is unusually short for a polish name and therefore may be derived from a longer name.

Is there no direct Irish for 'dick?'

I'd presume there is, but I'm in work and don't want to be googling irish dick.

also, the spelling of Briuis comes from Robert the Bruce so there's a bit of The Clansman thrown in too.

I see an Irish person translating all these names, getting to "Janick Gers" and just going, "Ah, fuck it, he's Sean Gers now."

LOL

I had assumed he would be completely untranslatable, but I couldn't believe my luck when I looked up the meaning of Yannick and seen it was a variation of the name John. It's a shame I can't find the meaning of Gers to get the full house of the band.

Rod Smallwood might translate as Ruairi Coille Beag, but that's more for comedy purposes than actually being in the format of an actual surname.

I'm in work and don't want to be googling irish dick
I can't imagine why not.

This thread is already gearing up to be worthy of mention in the funniest/weirdest/favourite Maidenfans moment thread.

Google tells me that the Irish for Dick (name) is either 'Dick' or 'Risteard.'
It also tells me that a word for dick (penis) is 'bod,' pronounced 'bud.' This interests me as some people round home would call a cock a 'buddly.' Now it makes more sense.

'Risteard.'
Hey now, I think we’re supposed to say “mentally challenged” these days...! :p
It also tells me that a word for dick (penis) is 'bod,' pronounced 'bud.' This interests me as some people round home would call a cock a 'buddly.' Now it makes more sense.
...and suddenly so do all of @John Silver ’s posts! :ahhh:

Erin's Maiden
Killerkenny
The Numbháir O' The Bhaest
Piss O' Máindh
Paddyslave

Back