What goodies for the POM 40th anniversary do you expect to be released?

Dick Brucinson

Bruce Dolci
What stuff do you think seems realistic they'll come up with in context to the 40th anniversary of POM? I mean, the party already has started by a few shirts in the official store (the grey one is really nice, ordered mine yesterday), but I was wondering how realistic some audio release would be. I personally don't need a cassette, but a big vinyl thingy like the triple Beast last year would be something I'd definitely go for. As far as I know there is no unreleased/lost track about the official POM release like it was with Total Eclipse in 1982, but there's an interesting bootleg recorded - again - at Hammy, which I think is far superior to Dortmund.

Speaking about Dortmund '83: From time to time the release of "the Dortmund gig in it's entireity" has been debated though I'm not even sure if they really played a full set according to their World Piece Tour setlist back in the day. Did they, or wasn't Dortmund a shortened show?

Anyway, what do you think to expect?

Did they, or wasn't Dortmund a shortened show?
There was only a shortened set list, the whole debate about the full set was because Iron Maiden was not broadcast on German TV, so the set that was on video bootlegs was "short" compared to what the band played that night, but the whole show was also significantly shorter than the full POM setlist.

I believe the set list was not the same on both nights.

RE: what goodies will be released

I'd rather they do nothing for these anniversaries if they don't have any unreleased material to put out.

I wouldn't mind having a live album of a full show from the World Piece Tour, but it's not a must. There are some excellent bootlegs out there (Hammersmith '83 is probably one of the best Maiden bootlegs overall), both audio and video, and I doubt an official release could add to that.

I wouldn't mind having a live album of a full show from the World Piece Tour, but it's not a must. There are some excellent bootlegs out there (Hammersmith '83 is probably one of the best Maiden bootlegs overall), both audio and video, and I doubt an official release could add to that.
There is a video from Hammersmith 83?

I am not holding my breath but I would really like them to put something together. There’s quite a bit of content from that era that would be good to release. For one thing, there are quite a few underrepresented songs from that album in terms of live recordings. We don’t have any live recordings of To Tame a Land, we don’t have a recording of Where Eagles Dare from that lineup, and any more recordings of Still Life/Die With Your Boots on would be welcomed. I also really like the stage show. Unlike other tours, the show was really well lit and the simplified stage makes the band more of a focus.

For video content, I really want to see full video of Dortmund. I’m holding out hope that it’s still somewhere in the vault. Hammersmith 83 would be nice if it exists, but really anything from that tour would be welcome. I’ve said it before but I also have no problem with them releasing soundboard bootlegs commercially as well. Lots of bands do that.

There are no known “lost tracks” but there is Cross Eyed Mary which is one of their more known covers plus a version of I Got the Fire. If they wanted to put out an expansive POM box set it wouldn’t hurt to include those as they haven’t been released in digital form and any CDs that contain them are long out of print.

I believe the set list was not the same on both nights
Are there bootlegs of the first warmup show? Whenever I’ve found something claiming to be the first night, it’s actually the second night mislabeled.

Probably nothing. I am always amazed by their reluctance to dig into the archives. The Early Days DVD was so good and it gave me hope of future outstanding archival releases. Sadly nothing has really come close to it. Maybe the stuff is just not there.

If they don't have video footage of a full show - live versions of Where Eagles Dare, To Tame A Land, Prowler and Drifter (the rest of the first 4 albums can be found on LAD and ME) is what they can do, instead of a live album.

Back