Were you raised by wolves and are now having monkey babies?

Well, what's for certain is that two hybrids can't have offspring.

Perun said:
The DNA of human beings and chimpanzees are identical by 98%. I would say it is very likely that a human can fertilise a chimp and vice versa, it has only never been tried.
One fact that you missed is that hybrids are always sterile. A mule can not have children. A human-chimp hybrid could not have children as well.

But Per, I just read back in the other posts that humans CAN NOT fertilize monkeys.  I based my conclusion there.

We don't know if humans can or cannot mate with our closest primate relatives. logically we can as we share so much DNA, at the same time, we are different species so we might not be able to. And since nobody in their right mind (some mad scientist might) would "experiment" we will never know.  Or we could all just read Congo and take Chrichton's word for it :D

This is a popular anecdote in evolutionary biology (I've read this in several books now and heard it from two of my professors as well):
The DNA of Homo sapiens (modern human) and Pan troglodytes (common chimp) is identical to 98% (as I said above); usually, biologists speak of one common genus in such cases, meaning either the chimp should be a homo (i.e. homo troglodytes) or human should be a pan (pan sapiens). One of the most prominent advocates of this idea is a certain Jared Diamond (whom I have slagged on this board a while ago, but who has somewhat regained respect from me since).

So it looks like in order to know for certain, one of us will have to go an get laid with an ape...   

Anyway, I've bee proven to be wrong on my first conclusion, afer all, I'm only human, but, what about the possible solutions this might produce, let's say we are able to produce a "humanzee" (a term used by scientists studying things regarding this topic), for a short while, we will forget about ethical issues and stay focused on the possibilities like finding cures to certain deseases, or making some transplants much more easier

Guys, I'm starting to believe something I thought couldn't happen, just imagine the possibilities...

Actually my school's headmaster proves that apes can fertilize humans,  lol.  I don't think it's polite to upload a pic of him,  though :( :p.

Does he look like this, by chance?

orangutan_thumb.jpg

:p

If I look at that picture, I have to say, despite the fact that I like them, orangutans are among the silliest looking animals on this planet. They won't beat the saiga antelope, but still.

ant_lushch_pop.jpg

GREAT! Thanks Khan. It is amazing how insensitive people can be, this woman was in the jungle for 19 years and all the police can say is, "she's weird." Well no shit sherlock.

Back