Vatican issues new Ten Commandments

Natalie

Insect of Terror
Staff member
Yes, the Vatican has done so. Special ones for motorists, not to be regarded as binding as the traditional ones, but as guidelines for moral conduct on the highway (to heaven). http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-drive_wedjun20,1,3514032.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

VATICAN CITY -- The Vatican on Tuesday issued a 10 commandments for motorists to keep them on the road to salvation, warning drivers against the sins of road rage, abuse of alcohol or even simple rudeness.

The unusual document from the Vatican's office for migrants and itinerant people also warned that automobiles can be "an occasion of sin," particularly when used to make a dangerous passing maneuver or when used by prostitutes and their clients.

And it suggested prayer might come in handy -- performing the sign of the cross before starting off and saying the rosary along the way. The rosary is particularly well-suited to recitation by all in the car, it said, because its "rhythm and gentle repetition does not distract the driver's attention."

Cardinal Renato Martino, who heads the office, told a news conference that the Vatican felt it necessary to address the pastoral needs of motorists because driving has become such a big part of contemporary life.

He cited World Health Organization statistics that said an estimated 1.2 million people are killed in road crashes each year and up to 50 million are injured.

"That's a sad reality, and at the same time, a great challenge for society and the church," he said.

He noted that the Bible is full of people on the move, including Mary and Joseph, and that his office is tasked with dealing with all "itinerant" people on the roads, from refugees to prostitutes, truck drivers and the homeless.

The document, "Guidelines for the Pastoral Care of the Road," extols the benefits of driving, but it laments a host of ills associated with automobiles, including drivers using their cars to show off and the "easy opportunity to dominate others" by speeding.

It warned about the effects of road rage, saying driving can bring out "primitive" behavior in motorists, including "impoliteness, rude gestures, cursing, blasphemy, loss of sense of responsibility or deliberate infringement of the highway code."

It called for drivers to obey speed limits and to exercise a host of Christian virtues: charity to fellow drivers, prudence on the roads, hope of arriving safely and justice in the event of crashes.

Rev. Keith Pecklers, a Jesuit professor of liturgy at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome, said Martino is responding to an underreported social concern: an increase in traffic deaths in places like Italy and Spain because of speeding, as well as an increase in road rage, aggressive driving and drunken driving in places such as the United States.

"It may be surprising for people because we're accustomed to the church speaking out about sexual matters, capital punishment, immigration," he said. "The point Cardinal Martino is making is that driving is itself a moral issue. How we drive impacts on the lives of ourselves and others."

But for some, the document was reason to poke fun at the Vatican.

"Overtaking is a sin? Well, then I'm a murderer, I'll turn myself in immediately," quipped movie director Dino Risi, whose classic film "The Easy Life" ends with a car crash.

"I think the Vatican has lost its marbles," he added, according to the ANSA news agency.

There was no indication Pope Benedict XVI had even read the document. It was signed by Martino and his secretary, as is customary for lower-level documents from the offices of the Vatican's bureaucracy.

- - -

You shall not kill and 9 other rules

The Vatican's 10 commandments for drivers:

1. You shall not kill.

2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm.

3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events.

4. Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents.

5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin.

6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so.

7. Support the families of accident victims.

8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness.

9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party.

10. Feel responsible toward others.

-- Associated Press

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

Well, what better to do than to issue new commandments when you are experiencing no or few problems eh? Personally I'd rather see the Vatican issue a statement to the situation in Palestine but hey, road morals aren't bad either.

Well, this is quite interesting effort, but I'm afraid that most people is not able to follow the original ten commandments so why should they obey to another ten :) And as with the biblical ten, I think good persons behave nicely even without the knowledge of the ten commandments and they are probably also doing well on the road so it seems to me, this new set is not needed at all.

Okay, when people complain that the Catholic Church is not modernising, they don't mean this way!  Seriously, Ten Commandments for the road?  What's next; 'Ten Commandments for the workplace'? 'Ten Commandments for the football stadium'? 'Ten Commandments for doing household chores?'

Aside from the fact that the original Ten Commandments are very flawed, the kind of moral code that the Vatican is proposing will do nothing to alter the status quo.  Saying that murder is a sin didn't stop any wars, so why should these commandments change anything on the roads?  I'd be much happier if the Vatican pulled the finger out and actively began trying to make a difference where it counts [e.g. The Middle East, China, Eastern Europe, Africa], rather than attempting to adapt their outdated traditions to a modern world in an attempt to appear to be modernising.  This is a Mickey Mouse policy, the kind we've come to expect from the UK government (which spent over £2m on black tape for office desks to encourage tidiness).

Forostar said:
This community also has commandments.

Yeah, because I really break into 'Hallowed...' every time I hear a church bell...

'Bless me, father etc....'

But those Commandments are sacreligious in nature.  To me, issuing 10 Commandments for Driving seems like a market gag.  The sort of thing an aging rockstar puts out to bolster their credibility, you know?

A strong dedicated member of a community (religious or forum, doesn't really matter) takes its commandments (rules) seriously.

Raven said:
Okay, when people complain that the Catholic Church is not modernising, they don't mean this way!  Seriously, Ten Commandments for the road?  What's next; 'Ten Commandments for the workplace'? 'Ten Commandments for the football stadium'? 'Ten Commandments for doing household chores?'

I think I've seen books with those exact titles, not to mention, not a bad idea. Again, just because they are dressed as "commandments" it doesn't mean people should scoff at them, they are merely rules and regulations like any other.

Quite frankly I find it all rather ridiculous. As Raven said, I think the Vatican should issue meaningful statements about current issues such as the Middle East or Asia and not use a marketing gag to try and appease angry drivers. And in some countries swearing at other drivers while on the road is part of the tradition...I mean, Vienna wouldn't be quite the same if that didn't exist. :innocent:

Onhell said:
I think I've seen books with those exact titles, not to mention, not a bad idea. Again, just because they are dressed as "commandments" it doesn't mean people should scoff at them, they are merely rules and regulations like any other.

Rules and regulations which are essentially integral moral sense which does not need to be emphasised.  Plus, all these commandments are huge generalisations.  To take them as the final say in any situation is to treat every situation as black and white; there are times that breaking these commandments may be the right thing to do.  If you don't stick to the commandments, but use your own judgement, then what's the point of them in the first place?

Raven said:
Rules and regulations which are essentially integral moral sense which does not need to be emphasised.  Plus, all these commandments are huge generalisations.  To take them as the final say in any situation is to treat every situation as black and white; there are times that breaking these commandments may be the right thing to do.  If you don't stick to the commandments, but use your own judgement, then what's the point of them in the first place?

I find your post black and white. Why can't anyone do both, like on this forum? I use my own judgement, but I have to stick to some rules as the same time.

Forostar said:
I find your post black and white. Why can't anyone do both, like on this forum? I use my own judgement, but I have to stick to some rules as the same time.

Okay, so the Vatican is telling people that, even if they kill in self-defence, it's wrong?  Or, going back to the original ten (to which I was referring, mainly), stealing food if you're starving is wrong?  And telling a lie to protect someone else's life is wrong?  Most 'Ten Commandments' bring nothing new to the table, and just simplify the issue.  There's a big difference between the laws of the country (which you must abide by), and some vague moral compass that a church says you must abide by.

Well, the problem that I have with the laws of the country is that when you are born into a country and are young, you must abide by laws that you don't necessarily agree with, and which you can't change. Later of course you can vote for the party which most closely represents you but the chances that that party will come into power or will make substantial changes to the laws of the country are slim. And while there may be a big difference between laws and moral codes (especially in terms of consequences and enforcement), many laws are based on that 'vague moral compass' hence making it a criminal offense to kill someone.

Raven said:
Rules and regulations which are essentially integral moral sense

Since when? According to who are they "essential" or "integral" to anything? We are taught morality, we don't just "know it"

Back