Various versions of Iron Maiden CDs

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I recently visited amazon.com hoping to find some Iron Maiden CD I might have missed. I found that there are various versions of Iron Maiden CDs available.
Some are called "Limited'
Some are called "Enhanced"
Some are called "Limited, Enhanced"
Some are called "Remasters"
Some are called "Vinyl Replica"
Some are released in 1998 and some in 2002.

What's this mess all about? Most of my Iron Maiden CDs are CD Extras with additional multimedia content. Which category do they fall under. I am sure they are remastered. I hate any CD with the word 'remaster' written on it. It always is a badly mixes LOUD version of the original mix (well, by the time I started buyinn Iron Maiden CDs, they had taken the old version of the shelves, and amazon wasn't selling any "vinyl Replica"s.) I don't have enough money to buy the vinyl replicas.

One final question. Are the remastered version of the CDs badly mangled up? I hate this, but I may actually buy the vinyl replicas (those which are available) when Ihave the cash. What do you suggest? Are the new CDs so bad that I have to buy the entire collection all over again (subject to availability)?

Thanks.

In 1998 Maiden remastered their back catalogue into CD, putting enhanced multimedia sections on them. Limited things are usually records released in a strictly limited edition (note that most things that is "limited edition" is not very rare at all). Vinyl Replicas are usually CD's made exactly like the vinyl looked.

There's nothing wrong with the remastered Maiden albums, a few booklet errors but nothing major really.

The thing I didn't like about the 1998 remasters was that new artwork for the first album.

But then, most of my CDs of the early albums are the Fame reissues from 1985 so I could do with getting the remasters at some point.

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Apr 6 2004, 08:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Apr 6 2004, 08:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The thing I didn't like about the 1998 remasters was that new artwork for the first album.

But then, most of my CDs of the early albums are the Fame reissues from 1985 so I could do with getting the remasters at some point. [/quote]
AM?!
why do you have shadow's pic!?

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Vinyl Replicas are usually CD's made exactly like the vinyl looked.[/quote]

That's it? I mean, do they just LOOK like vinyl, or do they even SOUND like vinyl? Many people say that vinyl sounds superior to the CD. I would love to listen to Iron Maiden CDs with the vinyl sound, but not all the albums are available in that form anyway.

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Apr 6 2004, 06:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Apr 6 2004, 06:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]There's nothing wrong with the remastered Maiden albums, a few booklet errors but nothing major really.[/quote]

Do you really think I am okay with the remastered CDs? I simply worship Maiden and can't live with the thought that I have CDs that are inferior to a die-hard Maiden fan who happened to discover Maiden a few years before I did. Not fair [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

You guys and gals please let me know what you think about the sound quality of the remastered CDs as compared to the original releases. Obviously, loudness does not translate to improvedsound quality. A few very good records have been totally ruined due to remastering (Eg: Judas Priest-"Defenders Of The Faith"). Did they kill Iron Maiden records in a similar fashion? You tell me.

Up The Irons [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

All my CDs are the remastered versions (obviously with the exception of BNW, RiR, and DoD.). They sound great.

There's nothing wrong with the remastered CD sound.

As for AM's comment, I didn't like the new Iron Maiden cover either, it's very pointless. But the new artwork for No Prayer For The Dying was a lot better.

The remastered Cds are great (for example the original sound of 7th Son is not very loud) but sometimes, there's some errors on the "glass master" : on Powerslave, the title song, the "pharaonic part" before the drums enter is at the end of the song "Back in the Village". [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

But the booklets are amazing !

The Limited 1995's reissues are also great with the bonus Cd featuring the B'Sides. But the booklets are like original Cds.

But, to enjoy the vinyl sound, there's nothing better than vinyl ! [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
ALL the Maiden albums are avaliable in this format !!

[!--QuoteBegin-Willum+Apr 15 2004, 12:34 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Willum @ Apr 15 2004, 12:34 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I've seen "mini vinyls" advertsed...whats that about? [/quote]
On Maiden album ? or other bands ?

Yeah it was Iron Maiden. They were on whatrecords.co.uk, Vitrual XI and A Real Dead One were listed.

[!--QuoteBegin-Willum+Apr 15 2004, 12:59 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Willum @ Apr 15 2004, 12:59 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Yeah it was Iron Maiden. They were on whatrecords.co.uk, Vitrual XI and A Real Dead One were listed. [/quote]
apparently, there are not vinyls, but Cds (I don't know any vinyl with ehanced multimedia section [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )
Maybe the sleeve is like a vinyl sleeve, and not a jewel case (or digipak). I don't know.

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Apr 15 2004, 01:14 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Apr 15 2004, 01:14 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] apparently, there are not vinyls, but Cds (I don't know any vinyl with ehanced multimedia section  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )
Maybe the sleeve is like a vinyl sleeve, and not a jewel case (or digipak). I don't know. [/quote]
Yeah, that must be it. Comes with a special booklet though, I might check one of these out sometime.

Back