Trooper on 2 cellos

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
(preceded by William Tell Overture) :shred:
This is not (entirely) live since at certain moments you hear more than two instruments at the same time, so better regard this as an enjoyable music video with a cool arrangement and performance! Love that atmospheric ending (before the crowdsurfing ;-) ).

Last edited:
I really dislike those guys. Have you seen their Thunderstruck?

Same plot set in the early 1700s.

My problem with them is that they're using cellos as gimmicks. They're a visual gag more than a real musical act. Every time I see their videos, I wonder how many times they stopped shooting to make sure they had enough broken bow hairs.

The audio is interesting. The best thing I can say about it: they clearly have a grip on unorthodox bowing techniques.

They're playing in a way that attempts to approximate guitar sounds. They dig their bows into the strings to make the abrasive sound of the rosin clearly audible. For very fast single-note riffs, they use their bows more like drumsticks at times. It's interesting, but feels like a parlor trick.

That's the first Maiden I've seen them do. I remember when they first did videos of Smooth Criminal and Smells Like Teen Spirit. I did wonder about the broken bows, in some of their videos a bow will have masses of snapped hairs sticking out one second, and then look okay the next.

They are definitely music videos, but they also are playing the cellos in that fashion. I find it interesting, even if they are clearly cashing in.

But then again, look where they're from, who can blame them from cashing in.

Back