Trend of bands playing a signature classic track by a different band over the PA before a gig

srfc

Ancient Mariner
You know what I mean, Doctor Doctor being the obvious one. I'm not talking intro tracks like Ecstasy of Gold, but the track just before the intro.

The question is did Doctor Doctor start the trend and which bands do it and how long have they been doing it for?

Doctor Doctor goes back to the pub days for Maiden, https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/iron-maiden-all-intros-on-all-tours.71243/page-3#post-804665 , but we'll take 2003 as the starting point of when it was first used in the current style, i.e. a way to get a bit of atmosphere going and let people know Maiden are coming on soon.

So has anyone done it before 2003?

I saw KISS use Won't Get Fooled Again a few times, do they do this always and how long have they had it?

Metallica used It's a Long Way to the Top the other night and Anthrax used The Number of the Beast when I saw them recently. What other bands?

I know a fair number of bands have been using Back In Black before shows. When I saw Kiss they didn't have Won't Get Fooled Again played prior to going on stage but instead added a snippet of it into Lick It Up, for reference this was in 2019

Angra opened its Fireworks tour concerts (1998-1999) with "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)".
Edguy used to open with the funny cover of a French comedy franchise song, "La Marche des Gendarmes".

Back