Today I learned that there are people who are willing to pay over £30 for homemade Maiden discs containing downloaded MP3 files

These people obviously have internet access to bid on ebay. So are they too afraid or unknowledgeable to download their own MP3s?

I can understand paying maybe £5-£10 for the convenience, but £30 is just stupid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-175724_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221002-175724_Chrome.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 38
Not everyone is super tech savvy or even knows what an "mp3" is. They see a disc with shows/songs on it they like, it's not too expensive, and they buy it. It's not a mystery.

Not everyone is super tech savvy or even knows what an "mp3" is. They see a disc with shows/songs on it they like, it's not too expensive, and they buy it. It's not a mystery.
Tech savvy enough to access Ebay, but not tech savvy enough to download an mp3. Interesting.

It's unlikely though, that someone would pay 30 quid for a product advertised as sn mp3 collection despite not knowing what mp3 is.

Last edited:
Tech savvy enough to access Ebay, but not tech savvy enough to download an mp3. Interesting.

It's unlikely though, that someone would pay 30 quid for a product advertised as sn mp3 collection despite not knowing what mp3 is.
I work in IT and have seen every level of incompetence when it comes to anything remotely computer related. A 55 year old man who wants to buy some old ass antique, who’s son showed him how to use eBay, wouldn’t necessarily need to understand how MP3s work.

There’s also the case to be made that a person just might not care. They get a cool product to put on their shelf, inexpensively, and don’t have to hunt down the files themselves. They probably didn’t even know the bootleg existed until they found it on eBay, after which, maybe some folks go search out the file, and some don’t.

But my original post was mainly that, just because a thing doesnt make sense to you, doesn’t mean everyone sees it the same way, or shares the same knowledge.

I work in IT and have seen every level of incompetence when it comes to anything remotely computer related. A 55 year old man who wants to buy some old ass antique, who’s son showed him how to use eBay, wouldn’t necessarily need to understand how MP3s work.

There’s also the case to be made that a person just might not care. They get a cool product to put on their shelf, inexpensively, and don’t have to hunt down the files themselves. They probably didn’t even know the bootleg existed until they found it on eBay, after which, maybe some folks go search out the file, and some don’t.

But my original post was mainly that, just because a thing doesnt make sense to you, doesn’t mean everyone sees it the same way, or shares the same knowledge.
Paying £30 for a DVDR containing files easily downloaded yourself is silly. Yes, people might think it's a good idea for whatever reason, but they are mistaken.

Are they not bootlegs?

Paying for bootlegs, and making them available in mp3 format, is obviosuly something you shouldn't be doing but I can understand why someone not that tech savy may want to buy these items particularly if some of the material is hard to find online.

Back