Thin Lizzy

The link above mentions Me and the Boys on the Rainbow CD but a lot of the sites don't have it listed, I'd be raging if it's not on it.

Unlike many, I like most the first Thin Lizzy period 1971-73, with Eric Bell as sole guitarist. When he left, he was replaced by Gary Moore without any recording (at that time) then enter Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson and the classic era begun.

Clifton Grange Hotel, 1st album, 1971

Baby Face, 2nd album, 1972

The Hero and the Madman, 3rd album, 1973

Unlike many, I like most the first Thin Lizzy period 1971-73, with Eric Bell as sole guitarist. When he left, he was replaced by Gary Moore without any recording (at that time) then enter Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson and the classic era begun.

Clifton Grange Hotel, 1st album, 1971

Baby Face, 2nd album, 1972

The Hero and the Madman, 3rd album, 1973

I saw Eric Bell a couple of times, they have a Phil Lynott tribute every year in Dublin and I used to go quite regularly. He was great every time, particularly one time when him, Brian Robertson and Noel Bridgeman who was the drummer in Skid Row played a load of blues songs. I can't remember who played bass.

The link above mentions Me and the Boys on the Rainbow CD but a lot of the sites don't have it listed, I'd be raging if it's not on it.

Have you been able to confirm if Me and the Boys is finally included on the Rainbow CD?

Have you been able to confirm if Me and the Boys is finally included on the Rainbow CD?

Not yet, but it's incoming so should know soon enough!

Been dying to get a digital version of that for years

EDIT: some tracks have been popping up on Spotify, and they all sound great. The whole album is probably there now but I'm going to wait until I get the real thing. Wonder will Visconti claim Phil came from beyond the grave to record a few overdubs for this version.

I’m looking at iTunes music the super Deluxe 8 disc edition and Me and the boys it’s not there from the Rainbow theatre.

Me and the boys … :
Disc 3: live at the Hammersmith Odeon , 15th Nov 1976
Disc 4: live at the Hammersmith Odeon, 16th Nov 1976

Disc 6: live at the Philadelphia Tower Theatre, 21st Oct 1977
Disc 7: live at the Seneca College Fieldhouse, Toronto, 28th Oct 1977

I’m looking at iTunes music the super Deluxe 8 disc edition and Me and the boys it’s not there from the Rainbow theatre.

Me and the boys … :
Disc 3: live at the Hammersmith Odeon , 15th Nov 1976
Disc 4: live at the Hammersmith Odeon, 16th Nov 1976

Disc 6: live at the Philadelphia Tower Theatre, 21st Oct 1977
Disc 7: live at the Seneca College Fieldhouse, Toronto, 28th Oct 1977

Ah shite, hopefully one of those other versions is as good as the one from the video.

Just picked it up, package is amazing.

After a quick listen to it Me and the Boys from the video is not on it, I presume the Rainbow gig wouldn't all fit on 1 disc.

However, the versions from Philadelphia and Toronto are pretty close to it. I guess I'll just have to figure out how to rip the audio from the dvd.

After listening to all the discs in that Live and Dangerous deluxe set, the main thing about Tony Visconti's production I took away from it was there was quite bit of editing of instrumental sections, crowd sing-a-long sections etc.

And this was usually an improvement, e.g. The Rocker had an extended solo similar in length to the original Eric Bell studio version, but the shorter duration works better. Also the Cowgirl Song section of Rosalie had two verses and extended banter that doesn't work as well as the edited version.

He also picked the best version of each song from the available gigs.

Back