The Pilgrim

How good is The Pilgrim on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Underrated as hell! The verses are completely fine, maybe a little routine. Then we get the first chorus which builds up the tension, and then the main chorus explodes in all its dissonant glory. And that's not even the best part, because after that we have the classic instrumental section. Straightforward but damn do I love this one. 8

He said he researched it in the library, so I'm possibly jumping to a conclusion that he wrote lyrics, or maybe he even wrote all the lyrics?
From DOD tourbook:

Adrian: ''I remember going out to a library to get lyrical ideas and the very first book I saw was on the battle of Paschendale. The title alone just captured my imagination. I gave the music to Steve and I explained where it was coming from and what I thoguht it should be about and he was off writing the lyrics''.

One of Maiden's most underrated songs, The Pilgrim is one of my favorites from the reunion era. To me, it's just a better version of The Wickerman.

The opening is unique and quickly grabs your attention. It's got a 'marching' quality to its tempo which fits the theme of a long Pilgrim's journey.

The main verses' melodies are incredibly simple but somehow powerful and emotional, at least to me. There's a kind of anxiety and trepidation to it, around the point where Bruce says, "...the ailing kingdom doomed to fail," and so on afterwards. Again, very fitting for the theme.

Bruce's pre-chorus vocal harmonies are kind of haunting and almost atonal. It's something that's stuck with me for a long time, years after I first heard the song. The chorus that follows is of course beautiful as well.

Then maybe the best part of the song kicks in with the sort of "middle eastern"-style instrumental, which is both mesmerizing and foreboding. When they play it through the second time, Nicko adds this cymbal crash that emphasizes the entire section and makes it even more suspenseful.

Then it wraps up with a repeat of the intro and the whole damn thing is so perfect to me. One of my favorites of the shorter Maiden jams from their entire catalogue. Unfortunately like AMOLAD itself as a whole it doesn't seem to get much attention.

Last edited:
Back