The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 76-81

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• Pantera - Fucking Hostile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ----------------------------

• Iced Earth - Prophecy

• Dark Tranquility - Punish My Heaven

• Faith No More - Caffeine

• Queen - The March of the Black Queen

• Slipknot - The Devil in I

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Listen here, ya'll, Sabotage is a far better and more impactful (and fun) song than Lorelei. But I simply cannot vote for Beastie Boys in this game.

Gangland is cute, and no doubt responsible for a ton of Maiden and Metallica songs we've heard (and it is certainly far better than the Maiden track of the same name), but At The Heart of Winter is a classic for a reason. Yes, the vocals are godawful, but the music is great (despite the aggressive blast beats).

Blind Guardian over Def Leppard any day.

I love The Who. Sol Invictus really needs better production, but it's still a nice slab of prog/classic metal.

Opeth. Always.

Some Porcupine Tree works for me, some I find too Floydian. This lives somewhere in-between. It's a great song, but there's certainly only one metal thing about it (that single note riff in the middle). Dark Moor certainly fits the bill more, but it's also a bit stock, a bit twee, and those vocals are lame. Dark Moor throw everything at the wall here but they could have done with even less.

Listen here, ya'll, Sabotage is a far better and more impactful (and fun) song than Lorelei. But I simply cannot vote for Beastie Boys in this game.

I knew you would say just that. The moment I voted for Sabotage, I thought you would vote it out not based on song’s merits but because Beastie Boys ain’t metal.
Understandable.

I knew you would say just that. The moment I voted for Sabotage, I thought you would vote it out not based on song’s merits but because Beastie Boys ain’t metal.
Understandable.
It's a great song, as are a lot of Beastie Boys songs. It's an even greater music video. It just has no place in this game.

Won't get a chance to listen and don't know most tracks, but since we're short of votes, I'll search the thread for my previous comments or bluff a bit, and make a decision based on that.

Lorelei I remember, I checked the album after listening, pretty good, they got a follow on spotify off me, Sabotage is great too Lorelei

There's a great Tygers of Pan Tang track on a compilation I have, and I'm unlikely to prefer black metal to them based on that, Gangland

Not a big fan of Love Bites, but definitely Leppard over euro power metal any day of the week Love Bites

I like The Who without being familiar with too much of their stuff, this is what I thought of Atlantean Kodex first time "This is a name I've seen on forums for a good while but never heard any music by. Intro sounds ok Tull/Greensleeves-esque. Don't like the guitar tone when it kicks in but otherwise it's good, vocals good way better than the average European OTT delivery. Guitar melodies nice. Gear shift chorus change at the end is my pet hate though :mad::lol: I'll check out the whole album" - not sure that's enough to beat a band I like. My Generation

Never been taken by Opeth in these games but they've always had at least something in my ballpark in their tracks, my previous comment on Vintersorg tells me nothing other than they beat Marduk Master's Apprentice

Porcupine Tree are not the Mae West from what I've seen in these games but my previous comment on Dark Moor is less flattering "With Power Metal bar 1 or 2 bands I don't really see what sort of originality is being brought to the table and this Dark Moor track definitely falls into this category, it could easily be any one or more of the many other power metal bands that have been in this game." Even Less

Ah fuck it, I'm voting for Sabotage. That song is fun!

I'm bored of NWOBHM, and the Tygers of Pan Tang song, while pretty good, is doing very little for me. I'd rather explore Immortal.

"Oh, Love Bites! I like that one. I wonder what it's up against... oh." The first power metal song I ever loved. Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill).

My Generation is not metal (and I don't enjoy it too much anyway). I'm voting for the okay Atlantean Kodex song over it.

The Vintersorg track was more melodic and atmospheric than I expected. I'm throwing @JudasMyGuide a bone and voting for it over Master's Apprentices. If it were Deliverance or A Fair Judgement, I'd have voted for Opeth.

Even Less is my favorite discovery of this round. It's my first time hearing pre-In Absentia Porcupine Tree, and I really like it! Maid of Orleans was a good metal song too, but I'm in the mood for Porcupine Tree.

Does anyone else have the urge to hear Beastie Boys cover Master’s Apprentices, and for an Opeth rendition of Sabotage?

Those are my favorites this round. The former is my favorite tune from Deliverance, and the latter is my top Beastie Boys track (of the five I’ve heard).

It's a great song, as are a lot of Beastie Boys songs. It's an even greater music video. It just has no place in this game.

I think it does.
I was talking with a friend of mine a few years back about songs that pushed metal fwd. He said without hesitation Sabotage first. My reaction was: Beastie Boys? Com’on! Then I had a listen and that’s how I rediscovered it.
This song has such a raw brutal energy and a bass line that would put Lemmy to shame.
If Korn, Limp Bizkit or Rage Against the Machine songs have a place here, this one has a place too.
As would do Beatles’ Helter Skelter.
We don’t vote for tags and labels we vote for music.

It's a Theater of Tragedy, what they did to the Beastie Boys here. Tygers of Pan Tang are simply not Immortal when they get to the heart of winter. Blind Guardian don't love Def Leppard, they actually think they bite. It is now the generation of Sol Invictus, according to the mighty Atlantean Kodex. Opeth continues to gather apprentices. And finally, Dark Moor got even less votes than Porcupine Tree.

Part II, Round 4, Matches 76-81

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 76​
Ghost of the Navigator Division​
Meshuggah - Broken Cog
vs.
Pantera - Fucking Hostile​
@Night Prowler
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -20
Record