The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 28-33

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Mercyful Fate - A Dangerous Meeting vs. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Voting against my own nomination, it's not better than Paranoid Paranoid

Linkin Park - Papercut vs. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys

Not keen on either, Helloween much more to my tastes Keeper of the Seven Keys

Sabaton - Rise of Evil vs. Blood Ceremony - Daughter of the Sun

In the @Wogmidget derby, Daughter of the Sun is the clear winner, although I'm not mad about either Daughter of the Sun

Legend - The Wizard's Vengeance vs. In Flames - The Quiet Place

Legend isn't great but In Flames is too Korn-y to have any chance of my vote The Wizard's Vengeance

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side vs. Gamma Ray - Rebellion in Dreamland

I'm not mad about either track but both are a bit less stock Power Metal than I was expecting, Gamma Ray sounds much more like what I might listen to Rebellion in Dreamland

Queen - Stone Cold Crazy vs. Scorpions - Sails of Charon

Stone Cold Crazy is great but it's playing second fiddle here to an Uli Jon Roth masterclass Sails of Charon

Votes were removed due to inability to obey the rules. This changed no match outcomes.

Mercyful Fate were right to be paranoid about their dangerous meeting with Black Sabbath. You can't stop Helloween, the keeper of the seven keys, with a minor papercut. Sabaton doesn't care about the sunrise, just the rise of evil. Finally, Legend's wizard has their vengeance over In Flames. Gamma Ray hasn't imagined their dreamland rebellion. Scorpions have sailed through all of Queen's stone cold crazy.

Part II, Round 4, Matches 4-9

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 4​
Terry Wapram Division​
Celtic Frost - Circle of the Tyrants
vs.
Guns N' Roses - Estranged​
Popoff 500
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -12
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 5​
Clive Burr Division​
Gamma Ray - Gardens of the Sinner
vs.
Edge of Sanity - When All is Said​
@Jer
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -2
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 6​
Women in Uniform Division​
Quasarborn - Ne Mozes Imati Sve
vs.
Dream Theater - Learning to Live​
@Night Prowler
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -12
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 7​
Running Free Division​
Thorns - World Playground Deceit
vs.
Guns N' Roses - Mr. Brownstone​
@Shmoolikipod
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -21
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 8​
Ed Hunter Division​
Metallica - Whiplash
vs.
Megadeth - Rust in Peace..Polaris​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -5
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 9​
Paul Todd Division​
Anthrax - Indians
vs.
Armored Saint - Book of Blood​
Popoff 500
Nominators
1-0-0, 2 pts, +7
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Last edited:
Learning To Live is one of the coolest DT songs. Great instrumental, music and attention-grabbing vocal ideas. Great production too.

Gardens Of The Sinner is classic GR/power metal. Love the chorus, the tempo and the Maiden-esque melodies. It never gets old. I also appreciate the different calm middle part.

Easy win for Whiplash imo.

Armored Saint's music is very solid, Book Of Blood is a nice song.

Unlike many other songs by GnR, Estranged's charm is really of a much subtler kind and while it's not just this song that has helped me elevate the band in my eyes recently, it is certainly a factor. Also like the Stairway to Heaven shout-out.
I have made my peace with Celtic Frost (especially the exceptionally weird second album is definitely worth a listen), but apart from historical significance, they still don't do much for me, there probably isn't an aspect of their shtick that some other band wouldn't be doing better, so I'll go with the unmetal choice here and vote for Estranged, which is also weirdly moving (yeah, I can't believe it myself), which is definitely something that you could never say about Celtic Frost.

-----

So it comes to
Ah, Dan Swanö, the Todd Rundgren of extreme metal. I mean, it's genuinely impressive whatever the bloke can do, I just wish there was... you know... an actual person underneath.

vs discount Helloween.
I probably like Gardens of the Sinner more, but that death/doom track was actually quite nice and it's already nearly autumn here and I'm inclined to fight this forum's general growlophobia, so Swann O))) gets my vote.

-----

As a Slav, I get certain N-word privilegies, I suppose, so yes, whether it's Serbian or Czech
(BTW that one album is really good, despite the silly titeú

these languages sound a bit inherently funny and in the hyper-serious paradigm of thrash, there's again a certain dissonance that I can't help but feel. But the rest of the song is really great.

Aaaaaaaand here I come with the shocking swerve, worthy of M. Night Shyamalan in his prime. You'd guess I'll vote for DT, because of band bias and everything, right?

Well, no. Images kinda sucks. The drum sound is atrocious, Moore is everywhere (the fucking intro sounds more like arcade game than anything Rudess has ever dared to put out), the song has the typical "early-prog-metal-album-patching-together-parts-of-songs-without-rhyme-or-reason" problem (although LtL is much better about it than many other songs, by DT or other bands of the time) and possibly the most controversial of all - I don't like LaBrie's vocals before that food poisoning incident. Yes, you read that right. I am ashamed to admit that. I know, he's been inconsistent live since (and sometimes has sounded and nowadays sounds really atrocious), but in studio at least, he used to have this airy, wailing, histrionic oversinging quality (like early Kiske or Jon Arch) when you're not even sure if he's hitting the correct notes and, somehow, he's more annoying to me than he would be since Change onwards. So kill me, I can't help it.

Yeah, there's still band bias and technically speaking, LtL is probably still the better song, but I'll go with the presumed underdog and vote for Quasarborn.

------

I like metal and a lot of extreme metal, but Thorns are a bit too much for me today. I'm enjoying the boomery vibes of Mr Brownstone much more. Maybe next time around it's going to be the opposite.

-----

Whiplash is among my favourites from KEA, but I've always said the album is overrated. Rust in Peace is possibly also a bit overrated, but as an album is still amazing and silly vocals aside, the song is both fun (which Whiplash also is), but also technical (which Whiplash mostly isn't), so to Rust in Peace my vote goes.

-----

Armored Saint have better stuff. So do Anthrax. But Anthrax at least have Benante, if nothing else.

Also, I must say that I'm in general surprised at the level of dislike GnR usually elicit - and I mean the original version, not various Axl's resurrections.

We were listening to Illude Your Usage (my personal playlist where I interspersed UYI I and II's songs together - it has a surprisingly good flow and it feels kinda fresh) in the car recently and sure, I can see how Axl's acerbic screech can get on someone's nerves (though I'd personally take him over Plants whiny, raspy moans any time of the day) and you can say Slash is very basic and in general, that the band encapsulates the hedonism of the 80s era combined with the pretensions of some of the 90s groups in the worst possible way... but then again you could say that they gelled together really nice, musically, they got stellar production (one that was actually clear, but didn't take away the edge), they really knew how to write a non-stupid melody and whether they were revelling in the filth like on the first album or were actually trying to be somewhat highbrow like on Illude, they were, for all intents and purposes and for all their mainstream success, an intriguing band. There are missteps and they used to be overrated back in the day, but for a band with so little output and such a loathsome image, they were damn impressive.

I loved the both UYI´s and had them on tape.
Think I prefer the first.
Guess I prefer them over Appetite too.

Last edited:
I used to prefer the first for the longest time as well, but maybe because I played it more back in the day, I now maybe enjoy the second one more, especially for stuff like Estranged, Yesterdays, Locomotive and some of the lesser tracks that I haven't heard as many times. But the mixed playlist is really the best, it combines the raunchy vibes of the first with the subdued, more balladic atmosphere of the second. The only problem is, it really drains you near the end :D

1. Meh.

2. Ugh.

3. Learning to Live. I mean, come on. The keys may sound silly but this is a prog metal classic, and that outro is iconic. Probably the strongest song on an album where every song is very strong.

4. Ooof.

5. Rust in Peace is ten times the album that Kill ‘em All is, and this song is an example of that. In fact, Metallica’s debut is my least favorite non-St. Anger album by the Hetfield & Ulrich project. I’d rather listen to the country twangs of Load and Reload than the endless mind-numbingly boring open E straight 16th poor songwriting of (most of) Kill ‘em All. Exceptions are made for Hit the Lights, Four Horsemen, No Remorse, and if I’m in the mood, Seek and Destroy.

6. Armored Saint over Joey-era Anthrax any day of the week, and twice on Wednesdays. Book of Blood may be weaker than every song on the magnum opus that is Symbol of Salvation, but it’s still a great song, and I love that ascending doodoodoodeedeedoodoodundundundundeedeedoodoodundundundundeedee part.

I'm no Celtic Frost fan, but if I'm continually forced to consider Guns N Roses in this tournament I will most likely vote for the actually metal choice each time (especially what it's a 9 minute ballad).

Both songs in the second match sound like B or C tier representatives of their genres, but I'm feeling cheesy today so I guess Gamma Ray.

I actually enjoy this Quasarborn track a bit, but Learning to Live is a stone cold prog classic.

Alright, I shall now contradict myself. If you want me to vote for Guns N Roses, I guess pit them against something like Thorns. Mr. Brownstone is a good classic rock song.

Rust In Peace...Polaris beats most songs on Kill 'Em All combined.

Book of Blood is both rad and also better than Joey Belladonna.

Well, no. Images kinda sucks. The drum sound is atrocious, Moore is everywhere (the fucking intro sounds more like arcade game than anything Rudess has ever dared to put out), the song has the typical "early-prog-metal-album-patching-together-parts-of-songs-without-rhyme-or-reason" problem (although LtL is much better about it than many other songs, by DT or other bands of the time) and possibly the most controversial of all - I don't like LaBrie's vocals before that food poisoning incident.
Your angry face emojis mean nothing to me after this take.

Celtic Frost - Circle of the Tyrants vs. Guns N' Roses - Estranged
Celtic Frost was quite bad, so obviously voting for my own, which is the best track in this round anyway Estranged

Gamma Ray - Gardens of the Sinner vs. Edge of Sanity - When All is Said

Don't like either track, but Gamma Ray probably closer to my tastes Gardens of the Sinner

Quasarborn - Ne Mozes Imati Sve vs. Dream Theater - Learning to Live

Quasarborn is pretty good, DT has some sections that are good, but as @JudasMyGuide has already said, they are just slapped together without any regard for song structure or dynamics Ne Mozes Imati Sve

Thorns - World Playground Deceit vs. Guns N' Roses - Mr. Brownstone

The guitar tone on Thorns is abysmal, meaning the track had little chance of getting my vote, it was much worse than Mr Brownstone anyway Mr. Brownstone

Metallica - Whiplash vs. Megadeth - Rust in Peace..Polaris

Both these tracks have 3 of the same verses before the "middle 8" which is usually a verse too many for my tastes but they get away with it. Rust in Peace has more going on musically but isn't have as fun Whiplash

Anthrax - Indians vs. Armored Saint - Book of Blood

Armored Saint track is pretty good, but Indians is Anthrax's best track (edited intro on the youtube clip isn't doing it favours though) Indians

BTW, this Saap's post from one of the last pages of the Greatest Metal Album Cup

I’m being Captain Obvious here but it’s impossible to feel any camaraderie in this game. When you vote for JP over Opeth, you’re a bastard for supporting old farts. When you vote Opeth over JP, you’re a bastard for not supporting a legendary classic. When you go for the probable underdog in Helloween against Dio, you’re not worshipping the best singer in metal. When you vote Dio, a power metal fan will get pissed at you. All logical, perhaps, but I’m still a little disappointed that people won’t tire of pointing out what a scumbag you are for voting for anything at all.

still feel poignant in this game, methinks.

That said, we really got better with the personal attacks and the arguments and the meanness in the meantime, mates, this is a much more pleasant game throughout (thankfully I collected everything Opeth there, don't need to revisit the older thread anymore)

Last edited:
Well, Celtic Frost has been estranged from a win by GNR. Gamma Ray has said everything in their gardens of a sinner. Quasarborn has yet to learn to live, but maybe Dream Theater can teach them. The deceit in Thorns vs GNR was that Thorns had a chance. Don't get whiplash, but Megadeth beat their own thrash rivals in Metallica. Anthrax wins a squeaker over Armored Saint.

Part II, Round 4, Matches 10-15

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 10​
Powerslave Division​
Iced Earth - The Coming Curse
vs.
Testament - Disciples of the Watch​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -3
Record