The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 40-45

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I am yet again removing votes. In this case @TheMercenary voted twice in one matchup. Please stop doing this. Vote in all six matchups or not at all. No outcomes were changed.

The duality of man is that...he likes to be loved by a reptile? Lemmy, you and Motörhead were weird, bro. Thin Lizzy always jumps at a chance to make a jailbreak. I haven't been here forever, but The Cult has managed to earn sanctuary - barely - in this one. Well, without procreation, man will fall. Arcturus knows this to be true. I know some of you are numb to the charms of Rush, but the Canadian trio won this one handily. We're going all the way to the frayed ends of sanity here, but Metallica beats Dio handily.

Part II, Round 4, Matches 34-39

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 34​
Paul Di'Anno Division​
Yngwie Malmsteen - I'll See the Light Tonight
vs.
Bloodbound - Nosferatu​
Popoff 500
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -11
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 35​
Michael Kenney Division​
Rush - Tom Sawyer
vs.
Carcass - Corporal Jigsore Quandary​
Popoff 500
Nominators
1-0-0, 2 pts, +8
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 36​
Dave Lights Division​
Demon - Night of the Demon
vs.
Helloween - I Want Out​
@Perun
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -7
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 37​
Death on the Road Division​
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son
vs.
Cult of Luna - Waiting For You​
Popoff 500
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -7
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 38​
Dance of Death Division​
Nightwish - Last Ride of the Day
vs.
Rush - Limelight​
@Kalata
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -4
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 39​
Sign of the Cross Division​
Evanescence - Call Me When You're Sober
vs.
System of a Down - Aerials​
Youtube 50
Nominators
Youtube 50​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -16
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

I am yet again removing votes. In this case @TheMercenary voted twice in one matchup. Please stop doing this. Vote in all six matchups or not at all. No outcomes were changed.

The duality of man is that...he likes to be loved by a reptile? Lemmy, you and Motörhead were weird, bro. Thin Lizzy always jumps at a chance to make a jailbreak. I haven't been here forever, but The Cult has managed to earn sanctuary - barely - in this one. Well, without procreation, man will fall. Arcturus knows this to be true. I know some of you are numb to the charms of Rush, but the Canadian trio won this one handily. We're going all the way to the frayed ends of sanity here, but Metallica beats Dio handily.

Part II, Round 4, Matches 34-39

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 34​
Paul Di'Anno Division​
Yngwie Malmsteen - I'll See the Light Tonight
vs.
Bloodbound - Nosferatu​
Popoff 500
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -11
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 35​
Michael Kenney Division​
Rush - Tom Sawyer
vs.
Carcass - Corporal Jigsore Quandary​
Popoff 500
Nominators
1-0-0, 2 pts, +8
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 36​
Dave Lights Division​
Demon - Night of the Demon
vs.
Helloween - I Want Out​
@Perun
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -7
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 37​
Death on the Road Division​
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son
vs.
Cult of Luna - Waiting For You​
Popoff 500
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -7
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 38​
Dance of Death Division​
Nightwish - Last Ride of the Day
vs.
Rush - Limelight​
@Kalata
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -4
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 39​
Sign of the Cross Division​
Evanescence - Call Me When You're Sober
vs.
System of a Down - Aerials​
Youtube 50
Nominators
Youtube 50​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -16
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links
Can I vote in only 5 or 4 matchup ? I'm voting twice sometimes when I don't like both songs in some matchups.

BTW, if someone doesn't vote in all matches by mistake (which almost happened to me once), do you go with the "mistakes are permanent" or "removing votes" route?
(I'd say that a misclick resulting in eliminating all votes is kinda detrimental to both the voter and you)

Anyway

Yngwie needs more love. People keep singling him out as the "boring, stupid shredder", but man has some actual talent and variety. Not really sure if on this track, though. Still, my primary bias would be going with him as the basic choice, I usually find him rather interesting.

I was really hoping the Bloodbound song intro would turn into a murderous doom track, would make me vote for it by default; this NWOBHM-manneristic approach wasn't what I'd prefer at first, but I admit, derivative or not, the song fucking rules. Bloodbound.

-------------

Next match: what I said
I have a literal physical reaction to the opening lines of Tom Sawyer, the combination of the synthy sounds and Geddy singing those lines in that swagger manner, I just literally shudder with revulsion.

Really, I will vote for Dragostea Din Tei before Tom Sawyer.

I haven't heard Descanting the Insalubrious (and how many non-native speakers can spell that without looking it up, ha? HA? :ninja: ) in about twenty years and I admit I have rarely even felt the urge, even in my death metal moods, rare as they are. But still, the riff, the relative catchiness, the vigour. Would probably vote for Carcass even if the opposing song wasn't "mean, mean pride"

-------------

The Demon track is actually rather good. Very old-school, which is a plus, rather catchy. They're one of the bands I feel the need to check out sometime, feeling like I've neglected them a bit. Still, Hansen's I Want Out is - to me at least - better in all regards, the energy, the catchiness, the... well, feel. It's one of those songs you never really shake off - as proved by Hansen himself, who has tried to recreate it himself, most prominently probably under the title Send Me a Sign - but well, so what. I love Sign, I love I Want Out, anyway, even a lesser track off Keepers would probably get my vote until the very last rounds, let alone a bona fide classic. Helloween, of course. (but with my apology towards Perun, like I said, I really liked your song, would vote for it against a less magnificent track)

-------------

I used to be very much interested in Cult of Luna some ten years ago and if I were to pick something back then for this cup, I guess I'd also pick something off Salvation. Still, I have a hard time going back to that mood, listening to The Cure today in care, I feel like my post-rock/post-punk
tendencies are more then satisfied already. But I'm glad to see this picked by the forum's resident Anaal Nathrakh fan.
Kansas are not metal, but I'm kinda inclined to vote for them anyway, both because of my desire to troll the purists, because my boomer tendencies and tastes, because the rednecky spiritualism must be getting on many a man's nerves, because it's infectious as the clap and because I never before noticed Ehart drums and I find those particularly juicy today. Also, quite untrivial for a radio staple.
Kansas it is, the Boomer Hammer has fallen down.

-------------

NIGHTWISH.

Actually, Limelight is still one of my favourite Rush tracks and I'd probably vote for it, if it wasn't against my Top 5 band doing a really nice and emotional track from the era I miss almost as much as the Tarja-era. No, I won't be sitting down and thinking what previous Tuomas' song it regurgitates. Doesn't matter.

I vote for it even despite the fact it's one of the first harbingers of the current era's obnoxious "preachy Tuomas" tendencies.

"Once upon a night we'll wake to the carnival of life
The beauty of this ride ahead, such an incredible high
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead
This moment, the dawn of humanity
The last ride of the day"

Oh fuck, how well this fits in Floor's mouth live, between the drivel from EFMB and the bunny album. A match made in hell.

And even despite that, I'm voting for it, because until Imaginaerum, Tuomas was pretty much untouchable. I get goosebumps from the fucking intro alone. Like I said, one of my bands.

-------------

If Malmsteen needs more love around here, SOAD definitely do. As I've said before
Unfairly thrown into the "nu metal" bag, their weird mixture of almost Zappaesque craziness and contrasts, with tempo and loudness switching on a whim, much like the sardonic mixes with cheesily sentimental and wackily humorous in their work, with punkish shouts and Oriental tinge, yet it always feels structured and immensely catchy. They have been very influential in my own personal music taste and I will never forget that. And I absolutely love Tankian - a powerful, immediately recognisable voice that is just as fitting as the muezzin calling out for salat from the mosque as a jovial wacky weirdo that's probably molesting five-year olds... or at least pretends to in order to troll you.

That means, SOAD for me, definitely. Even a worse song of theirs would get my vote.

I used to own that Bloodbound album and it's indeed a catchy song but hell, unleash the fookin´ fury: I go with Yngwie this time!

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Rush
(Courtesy of @MrKnickerbocker )

Let´s throw @Perun a bone here because I can´t choose. Both are great songs btw. Demon

Kansas not metal? Could be but that riff is classic and timeless! Kansas by so far it isn´t even funny.

Rush, of course!

SOAD by default.

Carcass really deserve the win here. I love “Tom Sawyer” a lot, but it’s not one of the first songs I think of when it comes to Rush and metal. “Corporal Jigsore Quandary” is one of the best death metal songs ever, and it’s also incredibly catchy as well. My gateway into Carcass.

Dio's King Of Rock And Roll is classic 80's metal. The riff and verses are gold, it doesn't get any better than that. Frayed Ends Of Sanity is solid Metallica with great riffing, but King is much catchier. Like Jump and Numb.

I'll See The Light Tonight is one of my favorite YM songs, but sometimes I wish my nominee was a Maiden song, so... Bloodbound's Nosferatu.
Rush's Tom Sawyer music (melodies and drumming) is so solid.
I Want Out, no contest. One of the best power metal songs of all time!
Kansas is solid old school.
Limelight is very nice with great dreamy vibe, but Last Ride Of The Day is genuinely one of my favorite songs, that's why I nominated it. Nightwish at the top! Every part is so memorable.
Call Me When You're Sober, by default. Nice vibe.

BTW, if someone doesn't vote in all matches by mistake (which almost happened to me once), do you go with the "mistakes are permanent" or "removing votes" route?
(I'd say that a misclick resulting in eliminating all votes is kinda detrimental to both the voter and you)
If someone said it was a misclick, I would give grace for sure.

Can I vote in only 5 or 4 matchup ? I'm voting twice sometimes when I don't like both songs in some matchups.
You must vote once in each of the six matchups. Six votes, six matchups. The point is to have you listen to stuff you may not like and try to pick which of the two you like more. People are out here voting for growls they hate, Rush they hate, nu metal they hate, because they like it better, and I appreciate that deeply.

People are out here voting for growls they hate, Rush they hate, nu metal they hate, because they like it better, and I appreciate that deeply.
:wub:

Also, I know I'm taking the piss and calling him the "Dustman" ('cause it's garbage vocals here and garbage vocals there), but especially as I'm collecting the Opeth stuff from the forum, big kudos to @Jer who actually voted for Blackwater Park over Judas Priest in the final rounds of the Album Cup AND voted for The Leper Affinity over Ghost of Perdition in the Crusade of Epics, even though the former is much more growl-heavy. Respect, mate.

You must vote once in each of the six matchups. Six votes, six matchups. The point is to have you listen to stuff you may not like and try to pick which of the two you like more. People are out here voting for growls they hate, Rush they hate, nu metal they hate, because they like it better, and I appreciate that deeply.
If you didn't notice, I vote for one band only in every matchup yesterday. ;)

Alright, I'm enjoying this Malmsteen track more this time, especially the neoclassicisms and the guitar squeals. Previously dismissed it as a vehicle for the solo IIRC.
Big TMWWBK vibes from Nosferatu's intro. It's a good song overall but I'm not wowed. The guitars are a little too shiny. Still, bigger scope and great vocals so it can have this one.

You people can hate on Rush all game long, I'm not getting on that train when it comes to Tom Sawyer. I love everything about it, it's so slick. Unfortunately Corporal Jigsore Quandary is a masterpiece in its own right and yeah, more metal. That chorus riff is like a meatgrinder.

I want to give Demon a vote because I remember robbing it off one previously for trying to get away with one minute of repetition. Seriously, this isn't a live show, four times is plenty! Once again it's up against a monster of a track, possibly my favourite from both Keeper albums. I'll vote Demon to feel good with myself, it's losing anyways.

I really, really, really like Wayward Son. Dream Theater would have wanted to write this song. I'm all for good ambiance. No but, I expected to go with Kansas and didn't remember this song ruling so bad. Waiting for You

The Nightwish propaganda machine has worked its work on me, or however that phrase goes Google offers no help. Last Ride of the Day is a hell of a track. Limelight is great too, this is a tough decision. Listen, if I'm known here for anything, it's not for perfectly honest votes. I have no monitin to protect. Rush because I'm not voting against two Moving Pictures songs in the same round.

The change from Limelight to Call Me When You're Sober was weirdly jarring. Uh, it's a nice song for, catchy for sure. SOAD are way cooler and this isn't even a favourite of mine.

Last edited:
Also, btw, after 17? 18? years yesterday has sent me on a Kansas binge once again, so at least for once, thank you, Popoff (whose list is otherwise usually quite wack, to be honest).

Leftoverture is a masterpiece!
Haven´t heard Point Of Know Return in full yet.

They're all pretty underrated by the general public, methinks, primarily the 70s discography.

But then again, I've heard the same said about Styx and I definitely haven't been able to find the appreciation for them yet.

(when I was younger and stupider, my go-to prog bands were Gentle Giant, ELP, Gabriel-era Genesis, the Crims and partially Tull to a degree and a band that released Lady, Don't Let It End and Haven't We Been Here Before wasn't a band that would be welcome in a proper, gentlemanly conversation :D ) - maybe it's time to revisit them as well.

Malmsteen deservedly gets a lot of hate. He's a prick, his stuff all sounds the same, but this song is good. Soto is good. The bridge and solo are good. That said, Nosferatu is also a really cool track with a killer chorus. Does it basically just sound like pure Maiden worship with modern production? Yes. But I do love Maiden, so...Bloodbound.

• Rush bias x2
  • Night of the Demon
  • Kansas
  • System

The Maiden song from the Blaze era, if only Blaze could actually sing.
Carcass for so many reasons.
So sorry Per but I want out of that night of the demon, demon is a bit too tame for me, sorry again.
The more interesting band name. (Someone should start a gore grind band called Pernik btw.)
Tossed a coin, and flipped it too, honestly.
Lost my small mind, freed my life. Or whatever.

Most of these were a matter of voting against the non-Metal song. In the rounds where this wasn't a case, it mainly came down to my preference for NWOBHM deep cuts/Maiden worship over the competition.

Back