The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 34-39

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Ultimate Sin is also my favorite Ozzy album. For being an Ozzy album from the 80’s, it’s still criminally underrated. There’s an upper echelon of heavy metal albums in my life that I wish ALL heavy metal albums could sound like - and The Ultimate Sin is in that tier for me.

That sweet hard rock sound with bits of AOR, hair metal mixed with slight power metal leanings. I love the fantasy sounding lyrics in Killer of Giants. My favorite song though is Fool Like You, a crowning achievement for Jake E Lee - the best his guitar ever sounded in a song (to my ears).

EDIT: I believe it to be the first Ozzy album with NO filler or fluff. I remember some weird kind of prog stuff from Blizzard and then a couple clunkers a piece from Diary and Bark at the Moon.

Ultimate Sin is also my favorite Ozzy album. For being an Ozzy album from the 80’s, it’s still criminally underrated. There’s an upper echelon of heavy metal albums in my life that I wish ALL heavy metal albums could sound like - and The Ultimate Sin is in that tier for me.

That sweet hard rock sound with bits of AOR, hair metal mixed with slight power metal leanings. I love the fantasy sounding lyrics in Killer of Giants. My favorite song though is Fool Like You, a crowning achievement for Jake E Lee - the best his guitar ever sounded in a song (to my ears).

EDIT: I believe it to be the first Ozzy album with NO filler or fluff. I remember some weird kind of prog stuff from Blizzard and then a couple clunkers a piece from Diary and Bark at the Moon.
And amazing artwork!

Well, suite sister Mary sure knows where to bury the bodies, huh? Queensryche wins here. Slayer still sleeps at dawn due to Metallica's sandman. The gates of Babylon are slammed on Nocte Obducta by Rainbow. You know that Mr. Crowley was going to win when it comes to sex type stuff, and so does Ozzy. It's a clean sweep for Black Sabbath! Well done as they shoot down UFO. In the last matchup, Ozzy is the not-so-secret loser against AC/DC.

Part II, Round 1, Matches 61-66

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 61
En Vivo Division​
Opeth - Deliverance
vs.
Bolt Thrower - Through the Eyes of Terror​
Rolling Stone 100
@MrKnickerbocker, @JudasMyGuide
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 62
Phantom of the Opera Division​
Burzum - Jesu Død
vs.
Breaking Benjamin - The Diary of Jane​
DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@Magnus
Nominators
Youtube 50​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 63
Still Life Division​
Judas Priest - The Sentinel
vs.
Kreator - Endorama​
Popoff 500
@The Dissident, @MindRuler, @MrKnickerbocker
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 64
Alexander the Great Division​
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
vs.
Holocaust - Heavy Metal Mania​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, Radio EHS 100, VH1 40, Best Music Art 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 65
Run to the Hills Division​
Slayer - Angel of Death
vs.
Meshuggah - Bleed​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@Magnus, @KiDDo
Nominators
Rolling Stone 100​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 66
If Eternity Should Fail Division​
Mayhem - Freezing Moon
vs.
Mercyful Fate - Curse of the Pharaohs​
Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Burzum - Jesu Død
vs.
Breaking Benjamin - The Diary of Jane​
images

Deliverance is generally considered an Opeth masterpiece, and I can really see why. It doesn't quite work for me, it feels too disjointed and for whatever reason the growls don't connect. I've been finding Opeth growls more easy to enjoy of late but this one doesn't fly so much. On the other side we have the mighty Bolt Thrower, one of my favourite death metal bands. This song isn't one of my favourite, and it does have the blast beats growl, but otherwise the guitar work here is great. I'll go with Bolt Thrower accepting that Opeth is going to win in a cakewalk.

I don't like Burzum. I don't like Varg. I don't like what Varg stands for. I don't particularly like this song. And while I don't love Breaking Benjamin (frankly, I find the name a threat), this song is fine, and that's enough to vote Breaking Benjamin.

Kreator is fine, this is one of the better Kreator tracks, but The Sentinel is a fucking classic. I prefer Priest to Kreator and The Sentinel to Endorama. Judas Priest.

Holocaust (the band) is more fun, the song is more fun, and Smoke on the Water is too rocky for me for this game, even though it's timeless.

I found myself liking Bleed more than I remembered. I enjoyed how proggish it seemed under the growls. But Angel of Death is a titan for a reason. Slayer in a cakewalk.

Mayhem over Mercyful Fate here. There's some really interesting riffwork and sounds in the buzz of the Mayhem track, and this one KD is getting really on my nerves.

Round 3 guys! Nothing better than making your Valentine's Day brutal by blasting some metal ballads ;)

I don't like Burzum. I don't like Varg. I don't like what Varg stands for.
Well I don't like Varg or whatever he stands for (hard to say since he's changed his mind so many times) either but I do like Burzum.
90s Burzum, more precisely.
Also voting for Mayhem (with Varg on bass, incidentally) of course.
The best Freezing Moon version is the early one with Dead on vocals btw
, pity it doesn't qualify.

Back