The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 10-15

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Never got into Opeth, that guy sounded amazing on that one Bloodbath album though (the one with Eaten on it). Eaten especially has great vocals. For me, there’s two ends of the spectrum I like: 1. I like guttural vocals where the vocals are understandable (how Bloodbath and Bolt Throwers vocals are). 2. I also like when the vocals sound like a drunken, violent mess (early Obituary and Autopsy for the win!)
On that album specifically Dan Swanö did the vocals. Pedantry because their growls are nearly indistinguishable to me :lol:

On that album specifically Dan Swanö did the vocals. Pedantry because their growls are nearly indistinguishable to me :lol:

Ah, Dan Swanö, the Todd Rundgren of extreme metal. I mean, it's genuinely impressive whatever the bloke can do, I just wish there was... you know... an actual person underneath.

---

Waitasec, the album with Eaten on is Nightmares Made Flesh and on that one, Tägtgren (of Hypocrisy fame) did the vocals, no?

Ah, Dan Swanö, the Todd Rundgren of extreme metal. I mean, it's genuinely impressive whatever the bloke can do, I just wish there was... you know... an actual person underneath.

---

Waitasec, the album with Eaten on is Nightmares Made Flesh and on that one, Tägtgren (of Hypocrisy fame) did the vocals, no?
What!!! My life is a lie. Does that make me a growl-ist?

@JudasMyGuide

I’ll check out Swallow the Sun!

As for misheard lyrics, I’m still a huge fan of the classics like “deadly badgers” and “fresh made tacos of the earth, diabolical beans.”

I'm the complete opposite. I typically like screaming, but Mikael's growls are just too much. Too bad their music itself got worse when the growls stopped...
There’s something to me about Mikael’s growls that no one else can capture; a Tyrannosaurical depth that I’ve never heard anywhere else. Judas brought up Master’s Apprentices, so I’ll roll with that. The first few minutes of the song sound like a massive dinosaur prowling through the forest, and if it sees you, you gon get eaten.

I’ll check out Swallow the Sun!

If you do, I'd recommend to try 2015's Songs from the North first - it's a triple album (daunting, I know, but don't worry), with the first disc being their usual mixture of death and doom, clean and harsh, with some pretty groovy catchy melodic vibes and excellent atmosphere; the second disc is all mellow, soft, folksy stuff (but very captivating) and the third disc is full on funeral doom, with only harsh vocals and long, slow songs and oppressive atmosphere of dread and despair, but very tasty (and actually rather colourful/diverse, within the limits of the genre). You can always just go with the first disc, which is representative and great even on its own.

I still can't believe how good that album is, we spin it with wifey in car regularly, even 9 years later (I have actually bought that as a physical original). In fact, it might just be my favourite metal album of the entire 2010s.

Diesel did a review, relatively recently, he didn't love the album as passionately as I or Night Prowler do, but even he was rather positive on the album.

Last edited:
For whatever reason I always thought the guy from Opeth did vocals on Nightmares Made Flesh. I probably should have googled that before posting. Good album though

I'm back! Here are winners:

Heart, Megadeth, Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Nightwish

Part II, Round 3, Matches 97-102

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 97​
Maiden England Division​
Slipknot - Psychosocial
vs.
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss​
Youtube 50, Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, Best Music Art 100
@Stardust, @Black Bart, @____no5, @Confeos
0-0-1, 1 pts, +0
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +4​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 98​
Rainmaker Division​
Uriah Heep - Gypsy
vs.
Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
@Jer
1-0-0, 2 pts, +6
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -6​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 99​
Bruce Dickinson Division​
Judas Priest - Grinder
vs.
Metallica - Seek and Destroy​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Radio EHS 100, Rate Your Music 100
@____no5
0-1-0, 0 pts, -6
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +14​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 100​
The Final Frontier Division​
Megadeth - Washington is Next!
vs.
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name​
@KidInTheDark666
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Youtube 50
@KiDDo
0-1-0, 0 pts, -5
Record
1-0-0, 0 pts, +12​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 101​
Steve Harris Division​
Blind Guardian - Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)
vs.
Dio - The Last in Line​
@KidInTheDark666
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@LooseCannon
0-1-0, 0 pts, -5
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +12​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 102​
Tim Broadstreet Division​
Dream Theater - Breaking All Illusions
vs.
Queensrÿche - Queen of the Reich​
@Wogmidget
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, Best Music Art 100​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -16
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +8​
7Links

“Psychosocial” vs “Seasons in the Abyss” is rough, but I gotta give it to Slayer. Musically their best song, and those guitar solos are incredible. I don’t think anyone would have expected the precision from Jeff and Kerry given the rest of their career. They really reined it in for that performance.

Also “Gypsy” > “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” for the simple reason that Byron is a better singer named David than Lee Roth is. Source? My name is David. I approve of this message.

Also “Gypsy” > “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” for the simple reason that Byron is a better singer named David than Lee Roth is. Source? My name is David. I approve of this message.

However, Ain't Talkin' has hands down the best beginning to a song ever recorded. Better than Expresso Love, better than A Change of Seasons, better Into the Void.
Search your heart, Anakin, you know it's true.

EDIT: However and whatever, for the fact you voted for Noldor, I'd literally give you a kiss.

I'm no great fan of Slipknot, and both Damian Priest and Edge have come out to Seasons in the Abyss at Wrestlemania, therefore it is an easy choice for Slayer.
I do enjoy Uriah Heep.
IIIIIIIIIIITS STING!!!!! Sting comes out to Seek and Destroy, so it's gotta be Metallica.
Definitely RATM with one of their most classic songs.
Blind Guardian because I saw them live in May.
Theater.

However, Ain't Talkin' has hands down the best beginning to a song ever recorded. Better than Expresso Love, better than A Change of Seasons, better Into the Void.
Search your heart, Anakin, you know it's true.
It’s an amazing riff, one of my favorites from VH. But it’s also a case of “I liked this a lot more when I was younger and it doesn’t have the same spark as it once did.” Whereas “Gypsy” is still a stomping good romp.

EDIT: However and whatever, for the fact you voted for Noldor, I'd literally give you a kiss.
Well it was a pity vote but I appreciate the sentiment lol.

Some stiff competition this round, but some easy votes for me.

I'm no big fan of Slayer, but I can certainly appreciate this song (and album) far more than literally a single second of anything created by Slipknot.

Uriah Heep over VH any day. All bands over VH every day.

Seek And Destroy is overlong and repetitive, but it beats Halford searching for meat to beat.

In general, I'm a much bigger Megadeth fan than I am a RATM fan. However, Killing In The Name Of is a sheer force of nature and Washington Is Next is just more Mustaine blathering.

We're the last in. We're the last in. We're the last in. WE'RE THE FIRST IN LINE!

Breaking All Illusions
is both a majestic, spellbinding, incredible song and it also does not have Geoff Tate.

Back