The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 67-72

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Shite- missed this, had written it up and listened to everything so will post anyway

Judas Priest - Tyrant vs. UFO - Love to Love
I'd vote for the Unleashed in the East version of Tyrant over Love to Love, but not the album. Love to Love

Mötley Crüe - Kickstart My Heart vs Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Kickstart is a good Crue track but not within an asses roar of being on the same level as potential winner Heaven and Hell Heaven and Hell

Iced Earth - Melancholy (Holy Martyr) vs. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

Both are not my thing, Iced Earth slightly more palatable Melancholy (Holy Martyr)

Gojira - Global Warming vs. Anthrax - Caught in a Mosh

Gojira wasn't great, Mosh one of the better Anthrax tracks Caught in a Mosh

Angra - Nothing to Say vs. Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose

Neither great, Soundgarden had a bit more edge and a better singer Jesus Christ Pose

Megadeth - The Conjuring vs. Mastodon - The Czar

The Czar was pretty good, very 70's vibe overall with an Iommi-ish soloThe Conjuring has the best riff of all time (approx 3 mins mark) and a couple of others that aren't any slouches either. The Conjuring

I’ve seen them 3 or 4 times and, as a non-fan, I would never say they stink. They perform their music well and 3/4’s of them are decent enough showmen. I just don’t really get their music.

And yeah, Brent’s vocals are bad.

I saw them open for Slayer and Maiden. The Slayer gig they were just an average sort of performance, a bit underwhelming as they were supposed to be the flavour of the month at the time. For Maiden, they were just as underwhelming, but also had the bass drum skin break which caused a ten mniute delay. I've seen plenty of bands have such disasters like this down through the years, and there's usually a bit of banter or something to fill the dead air, e.g. Bruce playing the William Tell overture on his face, Scorpions doing Holiday acappella etc., but they just turned their back to crowd and did fuck all.

I saw them open for Slayer and Maiden. The Slayer gig they were just an average sort of performance, a bit underwhelming as they were supposed to be the flavour of the month at the time. For Maiden, they were just as underwhelming, but also had the bass drum skin break which caused a ten mniute delay. I've seen plenty of bands have such disasters like this down through the years, and there's usually a bit of banter or something to fill the dead air, e.g. Bruce playing the William Tell overture on his face, Scorpions doing Holiday acappella etc., but they just turned their back to crowd and did fuck all.
That makes sense. They definitely have a bit of a "too cool for school" attitude (Brent especially).

UFO loves to love, but has no love for tyrants. Black Sabbath sends another opponent straight and overwhelmingly to hell. Iced Earth sates their hunger with a strong win. Anthrax doesn't worry about global warming, they're too busy moshing. Angra has nothing to say after a one vote win over Soundgarden. Megadeth has conjured up a very narrow win over Mastodon.

Part II, Round 3, Matches 19-24

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 19
Kevin Shirley Division​
Monster Magnet - Powertrip
vs.
Mercyful Fate - Evil​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +1
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -4​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 20
Wildest Dream Division​
Black Sabbath - After Forever
vs.
Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Best Music Art 100
@LooseCannon, @KiDDo
0-1-0, 0 pts, -5
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +18​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 21
Empire of the Clouds Division​
Black Sabbath - Killing Yourself to Live
vs.
Judas Priest - Living After Midnight​
@srfc
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, Best Music Art 100​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +3
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +10​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 22
A Real Dead One Division​
W.A.S.P. - The Idol
vs.
Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500
@srfc , @Kalata , @Poto
1-0-0, 2 pts, +2
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -4​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 23
The Book of Souls Division​
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
vs.
Megadeth - Peace Sells​
@The Sentient
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, VH1 40, Best Music Art 100​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -7
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +10​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 24
Be Quick or Be Dead Division​
Avantasia - The Seven Angels
vs.
Korn - Freak on a Leash​
@Poto
Nominators
Radio EHS 100, VH1 40, Youtube 50​
0-0-1, 1 pts, +0
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -8​
Links

Powertrip has a fun groove and nice dynamics, but the vocals are pretty tired. Fun enough tune, though. Evil has far cooler music and, for once, King Diamond resides in (mostly) his least laughable range. Great riffs, though. It's a begrudging vote for Mercyful Fate, but it is still a vote.

Bellz is a classic with impenetrable vibe, darkness, and power. After Forever is lame, "groovy, man" Sabbath - which I have zero time for. Also, no thanks on the lyrics. 'Tallica

It's honestly pretty funny how both Killing Yourself To Live and Living After Midnight rock along to a very similar boom bap beat. Sabbath have a far more adventurous instrumental, but Priest crafted a perfect pop metal tune here. Killing Yourself is the more interesting song, easily, but I would also argue that it is less successful. I don't know. I'm fine with either song winning, but I have to go for Priest even though just typing the words "Living After Midnight" makes me tired of hearing it.

Dio by a thousand miles or more.

Megadeth with one of their most overplayed, but perfect, songs ever. Won't Get Fooled Again might make the Top Ten Best Classic Rock Songs Ever, though.

Avantasia by default of not being KoRn.

The stoner non-Smurf
Jesus (and Geezus)
Geezus^2
J.I.M.C. (Jewish? Italo-Moravian Catholic)
This Song Representing the Who Is a Disgrace (i.e. Deth)

And... *clears throat*

Screenshot_20240604_184826_Reddit.jpg

Last edited:
I know we hate nu metal here but I thought a big pile of cheese might not do as well, and I was wrong.

Mercyful Fate's Evil. Despite the vocals (they work here), the music is very good.
After Forever is quality BS with Ozzy (the riff!), but For Whom The Bell Tolls is classic Metallica. The groove is mesmerizing. The vocals too.
KYTL's riff is so good, but the song is not Living After Midnight... melodic and catchy metal.
Big classic from WASP vs my nominee. The Idol is a great and special song (the chorus is amazing, the solos too), but when I listen to Dio's big songs like Don't Talk To Strangers, I feel a certain epicness that is difficult to describe with words. With its intro, riff, vocals and solo. A very very close call.
Peace Sells because it's more metal and the music is good.
Avantasia's Seven Angles, no contest for me. 14-minutes of interesting and enjoyable music. Great chorus, riffs, melodies, calm parts.

Monster Magnet - Powertrip vs. Mercyful Fate - Evil
Powertrip wasn't the Mae West, any song that starts with "I was born in the cemetary" is fine by me. Evil

Black Sabbath - After Forever vs. Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls

After Forever is a solid Sabbath deep cut, whereas Bells is setlist guaranteed from the biggest band in Metal For Whom the Bell Tolls

Black Sabbath - Killing Yourself to Live vs. Judas Priest - Living After Midnight

Voting against my own nominee here, KYTL is great obviously, but it's hard to top a feel good hit. I remember reading a review of LAM that said it's bizarre that Rock N Roll had existed for 25 years before someone wrote that riff, sometimes writing a simple catchy tune can be so much harder Living After Midnight

W.A.S.P. - The Idol vs. Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers

This is a tough one for me, I didn't nominate The Idol but I came pretty close to, and think I probably only went with Chainsaw Charlie to tailor it to this forums tastes. Don't Talk to Strangers is just better though. Don't Talk to Strangers

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again vs. Megadeth - Peace Sells

I think you have to pick Peace Sells in the context of this cup, but genuinely I couldn't choose otherwise. Peace Sells

Avantasia - The Seven Angels vs. Korn - Freak on a Leash

Avantasia is not for me, but Korn are the worst band of all time. The Seven Angels

"Power Trip" vs. "Evil": Not super keen on either track, but the Monster Magnet track is simpler and treads more water, while the Mercyful Fate track goes to more interesting places and is generally better overall. Winner: Mercyful Fate - "Evil"

"After Forever" vs. "For Whom The Bell Tolls": The Sabbath track is uneven at best, while the Metallica track is one of the band's very best. A very easy call for KooseDinnon's nominee here. Winner: Metallica - "For Whom The Bell Tolls"

"Killing Yourself To Live" vs. "Living After Midnight": The Sabbath track is pretty good, certainly better than most Ozzy Sabbath to my ears, but the near-perfect simplicity and catchiness of the Priest track is undeniable. Sorry, @srfc, but the list nominee takes this one. Winner: Judas Priest - "Living After Midnight"

"The Idol" vs. "Don't Talk To Strangers": The W.A.S.P. track is very good after it gets past its unfortunate dinner theater opening, though it never fully takes flight, while the Dio track is much more uneven and feels half-baked in the end. Sorry, Polackasrf, but I prefer the list nominee here. Winner: W.A.S.P. - "The Idol"

"Won't Get Fooled Again" vs. "Peace Sells": Both of these songs are great, and are totally worthy contenders in this game. The Who track is arguably richer, but the Megadeth track is clearly more metal, and that's probably just enough to tip the balance here. Sorry, @The Sentient, but I'm going with the list nominee here. Winner: Megadeth - "Peace Sells"

"The Seven Angels" vs. "Freak On A Leash": The Avantasia track isn't super great, but it has its strong points, while the Korn track is just trash. An easy call for @Poto's nominee. Winner: Avantasia - "The Seven Angels"

Today, it's Mercyful Fate going on a powertrip. An evil powertrip. Muahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! Metallica has tolled the bell for Black Sabbath. Judas Priest is killing themselves to live after midnight. Dio reminds W.A.S.P. to avoid strangers. Megadeth has sold peace. Huzzah! Seven angels have leashed the freak for Avantasia.

Part II, Round 3, Matches 25-30

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 25
Andy Taylor Division​
Symphony X - Through the Looking Glass
vs.
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It​
@Shmoolikipod
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, Radio EHS 100, Youtube 50​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -12
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +3​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 26
Nicko McBrain Division​
Machine Head - Davidian
vs.
Queensrÿche - Eyes of a Stranger​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@DJ James, @MindRuler, @Jer, @Black Bart, @LooseCannon
0-1-0, 0 pts, -10
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +23​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 27
Paschendale Division​
HammerFall - Templars of Steel
vs.
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane​
@Kalata
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, VH1 40
@The Sentient
0-1-0, 0 pts, -4
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +5​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 28
Lord of the Flies Division​
Gamma Ray - Valley of the Kings
vs.
Savatage - Gutter Ballet​
@Black Bart
Nominators
Popoff 500
@MindRuler, @Poto
1-0-0, 2 pts, +1
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +13​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 29
Melvyn Grant Division​
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
vs.
Metallica - Battery​
Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +1
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +17​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 30
Tony Moore Division​
Disturbed - Down With the Sickness
vs.
Judas Priest - Painkiller​
Youtube 50
@KiDDo
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Radio EHS 100, Rate Your Music 100, Best Music Art 100
@Spambot, @Jer, @Stardust, @Black Bart, @____no5, @Wogmidget, @LooseCannon, @KiDDo
0-1-0, 0 pts, -2
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +25​
Links

Last edited:
Symphony X over anything by Twisted Sister.
Big fan of "Eyes of a Stranger" but "Davidian" is a great song and a bit of an underdog so I'll give it a vote.
Scorpions over anything by HammerFall.
Savatage over anything by Gamma Ray.
A great Metallica song over a good Megadeth song.
"Painkiller" obviously. One of Disturbed's best though.

Back