The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 118-123

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• Kyuss - Green Machine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ----------------------------

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
This round looks like The Greatest Megadave Song Cup.
Anyway: two votes to them but the first is no contest although FFF is a pretty good song. But none of the songs in this round have a chance against Damage Inc.

I threw @Jer a bone but I almost voted for Def Sugar. Mr. Scary in the end is a Geoff Tate chest hair better.

It is what it is so W.A.S.P.

The most forgettable was UFO versus The Who.
I went with the latter but both songs are the weakest here.

Reactions: Jer
Not a fan of both songs, but Metallica, always.
Tough draw for my nomination. I nominated KK's song last and wanted something unexpected and I like the song (nice surprise from him), but this W.A.S.P. song is just something else. Especially the chorus.
Dokken's instrumental is pretty good, but Rock Of Ages still sounds great.
The Who song is just iconic.
This Megadeth song has a bit of a NWOBH vibe to it, so it gets my vote.

Megadeth - FFF vs. Metallica - Damage Inc
FFF is a decent enough track, from an album I like a lot, but you'ld be picking Trust and probably a few others too to represent that album long before FFF. If Megadeth wanted to take a pop at Damage Inc. they'd need a far higher standard of track. Probably Metallica's heaviest song. Damage Inc

WASP - The Idol vs. KK's Priest - Return of the Sentinel

I'm surprised I didn't nominate this one, as I definitely would have nominated a W.A.S.P. track, and it definitely would have been one off Crimson Idol, and The Idol is basically, the centrepiece of the whole album concept. I guess I must have went with Chainsaw Charlie with it being the main single??? Return of the Sentinel is ok, it might have been more enjoyable if I wasn't focused on the fact that it was referencing a far better track, either way I reckon I might have been still voting for The Idol if it was The Sentinel itself in this round The Idol

Megadeth - Wake Up Dead vs. Slayer - Chemical Warfare

Chemical Warfare is the track that Slayer played live on a regular basis from the Haunting the Chapel E.P. and I never got why, as I've always enjoyed Haunting the Chapel itself and Captor of Sin much more. It's still great though. Not quite great enough though when Megadeth show up with one of their big guns. The riffs are top notch, with the arrangement never repeating a riff once it's moved on from it. Wake Up Dead

Def Leppard - Rock of Ages vs. Dokken - Mr. Scary vs. Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me

I've never heard Mr Scary before (well I've heard the name so I assume it has a bit of a rep) but it's pretty good, good enough that I'm intrigued to want to check out more Dokken. Also, Roy Z is clearly a fan too as he's ripped off the main lick for Laughing in the Hiding Bush. However, I'm not voting for a pretty good instrumental over two well known classics it's just I'm not sure which Leppard classic to go with, I've used the "big hit is a big hit for a reason" logic before but I think this time I have to go against that logic as I just like Rock of Ages more. Rock of Ages

UFO - Too Hot to Handle vs. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

Too Hot to Handle is a pretty great UFO track, but Won't Get Fooled Again is THE Who track Won't Get Fooled Again

Megadeth - My Last Words vs. Exodus - The Toxic Waltz

This is a tough one, My Last Words is the more accomplished track but Toxic Waltz is just dumb fun The Toxic Waltz

It always seemed to me that unlike the general public (66 % on MA), I don't hate Cryptic Writings, on the contrary, I always felt like I was the album's (and, to a degree, Risk's) apologist. Honestly, I don't even mind thrash bands doing this type of punk-ish throwback, since I for example utterly love Anthrax's Got the Time. Also Friedman sounds really great. In fact, the song sounds quite a bit like a more mainstream version of Toxic Holocaust (who would come later, but have the same throwback energy)

And I mean that as a compliment.

Damage, Inc. is a great hectic closer, which admittedly helps salvage the B-side of the album, since Disposable Heroes are overlong and kinda pale next to the title track, Leper Messiah with its constipated feel really kills the momentum and Orion... is a bit incoherent and overlong too. Excepting the intro, which should have been much shorter or even cut altogether, the song is appropriately frantic, the riffs are awesome and the start-stop method is rather cool.

These songs are more similar to each other than I would expect from a random number generator and both should, indeed, be here, since there have been much worse ones previously, I might just as well vote for either, but I'm feeling like supporting the underdog here. Megadeth.

-----

Ah, the famous Crimson Idol album. I admit it is one of my bigger omissions in the metal world, however you can't really blame me - what would an Italian-descended Czech Catholic be doing listening to a band that puts their White Anglo-Saxon Protestantism right there in their name? :ninja:

I'm not really sure what I expected, taking into consideration the album's immaculate reputation and the length of the track, but it surely wasn't a "love, set me free" power ballad. Really, I like it, it's perfectly crafted, catchy, very sentimental, very beautiful. And yet, my immediate reaction was "that's it?" Of course I would bring out the lighter to swing it with gusto, but with me, you never can tell whether it's not just that aforementioned Italian heritage giving me a certain predisposition to liking the sticky sweet, the sentimental and the kitschy.

I am somewhat surprised that nobody has voted for the KK song as of yet. I mean, I weren't exactly inclined to check the band out, seeing as I don't listen even to Priest proper much nowadays, let alone this spin-off, but this song is rather good, in fact I could definitely do with tracks like these on the somewhat overrated Firepower album. I'm honestly surprised at both how the lesser guitarist from the JP can captivate me with merely the guitars so much, at how great Ripper Owens sounds - and always have and probably always will - and at how sufficiently epic this all feels. To speak complete truth, I think that they should have come back from the subdued section, ending the song on a faster/heavy note again... but then, maybe not, that would be much more clichéd approach and this gives it a certain untrivial feel, like the one I appreciate on 'Arry's Hell on Earth.

Quite intrigued to check out both albums as I am, I can't help myself but to go against the landslide and vote (quite unexpectedly) for KK's Priest, because the song definitely deserves not to end up having zero votes altogether. Also, for better or worse, it is the less "American" of the two songs. :ninja:

-----

The next match is ridiculously easy - Wake Up Dead is one of the better tracks off Peace Sells - just listen to the guitars! - the jagged, always sarcastic attitude is invigorating and quite addictive and yes, while not the best track ever or anything, it's about a million times better than Chemical Warfare.

I don't like Slayer and I especially don't like early Slayer. Araya sounds way too often like an inebriated Chad Kroeger, there is absolutely nothing memorable whatsoever, like I said - when I want brutal thrash, I usually check out the Germans or Morbid Saint or even the early death metal albums, this is just too much neither here nor there. I guess I could get used to it, but why bother?

Megadave.

I'll try to put Part 2 here soon.

I've never heard Mr Scary before (well I've heard the name so I assume it has a bit of a rep) but it's pretty good, good enough that I'm intrigued to want to check out more Dokken.
It was a big deal in the music press at the time, so much so that the media started referring to George Lynch himself as "Mr. Scary" from that point on. His homemade guitar brand is "Mr. Scary Guitars" to this day.

In my view the best Dokken albums are Tooth And Nail (1984) and Back For The Attack (1987), and both are worth checking out. "Mr. Scary" is from the latter, and I have an upcoming nominee from the former. (If you like those, then Under Lock And Key (1985) is also worth your time, though it has some sickly sweet vocal harmonies on it which I feel are overdone.)

FFF is one of the more ass-kicking songs on Cryptic Writings, but the riffs are so basic (and so Motorbreath) that I have a hard time classifying it as “the best” of anything. It’s not even close to being the best song on Cryptic Writings. Also the lyrics are simply far too relevant to Mustaine’s current conservative politicking for me to enjoy it as much as I used to. The best part is that weirdly effected chorus riff. The worst part is the half-assed “fight!” chant in the bridge. Damage, Inc. is one of many near perfect songs on Master of Puppets. It’s a thrash metal classic and absolutely superior song in this match. I’ve always loved the whisper of the chorus during such an intense song. The bridge riff and (shock! awe!) grooving, odd-metre drums underneath, plus Hetfield’s killer vocals there, are peak early Metallica. That section alone probably inspired 3,781 other metal songs.

The Idol is a song I’ve never heard before, but it is a great slab of epic power balladry. Catchy, melodic, and with some amazing lead guitar work. I could do without the terrible bits of theatre, but it’s a small gripe and I’ve heard worse. KK’s hype monster retread nostalgia cash grab is perfectly average in every way. There’s nothing bad about it from an instrumental standpoint, other than Ripper’s existence and the shoddy melodrama of the outro, but it’s completely forgettable and lame. Good guitar work, but it’s a vote for Blackie Lawless here.

Wake Up Dead murders Chemical Warfare in its sleep. There is no comparison here.

Mr. Scary kept my attention the whole way through, had some killer playing, and most importantly was not literally dripping in sticky syrup like it’s two competitors.

Too Hot to Handle is a solid classic rock song with a good blues solo and good vocals. Won’t Get Fooled Again is one of the most iconic classic rock songs ever and features a legendary scream from Roger Daltrey. It’s a bit too long and repetitive, but still fun all the way through. Easy vote for The Who.

My Last Words is an underrated early gem in Megadeth’s discography. From the spooky, intricate intro to the rollicking verses to the final crowd chants at the end, it’s an absolute banger all the way. Special shout out to Ellefson’s bass playing, which is on fire throughout the song. Easily one of my favorite early Megadeth tracks. The Toxic Waltz is a thrash classic in its own right, but not a thing can compare here. It’s repetitive, the vocals are possibly worse than Mustaine, and minus a big point for name dropping the band. Solos are good, though.

"FFF" is probably one of the least Megadeth-sounding Megadeth songs I've heard, but it's undeniably catchy and has great energy. On the other hand, I've always felt "Damage Inc." was the worst song on Master of Puppets - I actually don't care for the whispered chorus. Voting for Megadeth.

The second match is between two songs that I... honestly don't really care about. "The Idol" is too theatrical and generally over the top, while "Return of the Sentinel" felt stock and never took off - the outro is way too long. I'm not keen on either tune, but I guess "The Idol" as a whole showcases better songwriting, so it's a reluctant vote for WASP.

"Wake Up Dead" is just great fun and packed with amazing guitarwork. "Chemical Warfare" is just Slayer sounding like Slayer, but I still feel I've heard better songs from them. Megadeth again.

I'm getting incredibly tired of Def Leppard - there's something about the vocals in particular and that horrible drum sound that really rubs me the wrong way. "Rock of Ages" is just awful, while "Pour Some Sugar on Me" at least is a bit catchy. I'm not familiar with Dokken, but "Mr. Scary" undeniably had some cool guitarwork, even if it felt like it just went on and on. Quite a weak matchup, but I'm definitely not voting for Def Leppard, so Dokken wins by default.

"Too Hot to Handle" is completely forgettable (I do like UFO though), while "Won't Get Fooled Again" is a classic tune (and The Who is my father's favourite band, so, y'know, nostalgia). The Who.

I had somehow forgotten just how good "My Last Words" is - shame on me! "The Toxic Waltz" is a decent piece of thrash metal, but absolutely inferior to Megadave's masterpiece. Megadeth again-again.

RNG has indeed been kind to Mr Scary, so far. Have to see if it holds, I think that'd be a huge upset. Also, once, someone asked Jesse Ventura to put more laws in restricting snowmobilers after a couple got themselves killed snowmobiling on lakes and he said "You can't legislate stupid" and I like that approach.

Reactions: Jer
"FFF" has pep and a punky attitude, and a pretty cool solo, but it's ultimately like a forgettable musical snack that doesn't really stay with you. It isn't even close to being the best song on Cryptic Writings, let alone the best Megadeth song or metal song in general. On the other hand, "Damage, Inc." is riveting from start to finish, from its ominous intro through its pummeling riffs, sweet solos, and memorable vocal melodies. It also has a punky attitude, and I'm actually a fan of the whispered chorus. No contest here. Winner: Metallica - "Damage, Inc."

"The Idol" has some unfortunate dinner theater in the opening, but what follows is a thoughtful ballad with some nice vocal melodies and great solos. It feels like the song never quite fully takes flight or hits its full potential, but what's here is still very good. "Return Of The Sentinel" has a lot of nice guitar parts, but the vocals are poorly phrased and mostly delivered with boredom. The left-channel solos have a surprising number of whiffed notes, too. I really enjoy the music of the extended sad coda, but most of the vocals there feel too rough and out of place. This one has the musical bones of a potentially great song, but the final product is a disappointment. Sorry, @Kalata, but I think the list nominee is the superior choice here. Winner: W.A.S.P. - "The Idol"

"Wake Up Dead" has amazing guitar work throughout, and the vocals fit the material well. Some parts are repeated a little too often, but otherwise the song is killer. Love the rhythmic change-up near the end, too. "Chemical Warfare" is typical Slayer (weak vocals, bad solos, uninspired songwriting), but with less interesting riffage than usual, and it pretty much wore out its welcome by the 4 minute mark, but kept going for another couple of minutes afterward, including a completely overblown outro. The choice here is obvious. Winner: Megadeth - "Wake Up Dead"

"Rock Of Ages" is full of musical hooks in the guitar licks and vocal melodies, and the chorus is an earworm, though the song is a bit disjointed and sometimes feels like it's held together with duct tape and bailing wire. There are certainly better songs on Pyromania than this one, though it is good. "Mr. Scary" is a seminal metal instrumental from guitar god George Lynch, putting his technical skill on display while showing how to constantly build and release tension without losing momentum. Brilliant runs, great song construction, breathless from start to finish. No wonder I nominated it! "Pour Some Sugar On Me" is another hook-laden and even poppier number from Def Leppard, but I think it's a better-written song than "Rock Of Ages". I would certainly vote for this song over a number of lesser ones we've heard so far in the GMSC, but in this particular three-way there's only one actual metal song on the ballot, and I believe it shreds its competitors both in terms of songwriting and technical merit. Winner: Dokken - "Mr. Scary"

"Too Hot To Handle" has appealing riffs, nice solos, and a nice vocal line through the verse, though the chorus and bridge feel a bit flat. "Won't Get Fooled Again" got overplayed during the CSI: Miami years, but there's so much to like here, from the atmospheric synth intro through the memorable vocal lines, nice bass and drum fills, and sweet extended instrumentals, with that iconic scream that brings things back at the end. Good memories of trying (and failing) to play some of the drum parts on the higher difficulties on Rock Band, too. Another easy decision. Winner: The Who - "Won't Get Fooled Again"

"My Last Words" is one of my favorites from Peace Sells, with that killer clean intro with the distorted leads underneath, that deliciously busy main riff with equally busy bass, great vocal delivery from Mustaine, and the awesome change-up for the final third of the song, with a smoking solo and that "you, next victim!" chant. Love it. "The Toxic Waltz" has some nice riffage, but the vocals are nasal and annoying and the song doesn't really go anywhere. I dig the solos, though. Honestly, it sounds like a better take on the somewhat punky Anthrax sound (yes, I know Exodus came first). Another easy call here. Winner: Megadeth - "My Last Words"

FFF is one I wasn't really familiar with before and it isn't bad. It's a solid song with really good writing and hooks but the production is rough and it's kinda hard to believe that the Rust in Peace lineup eventually regressed to playing essentially punk rock songs. It's like the musical progression from Kill Em All to Master of Puppets but in reverse. And, to that end, Damage Inc represents Metallica at a pinnacle. Amazing riffing, breakneck speeds, this is quintessential thrash. I kinda see this track as a swan song to the pure thrashy Metallica. Tight, fast, relentless. They never really wrote another song like it again and this is arguably the best rendition of that sound. The breakdown after the second chorus... :notworthy:

I respect WASP for aiming higher in the 90s and I think they did a good job keeping themselves relevant when most hair metal bands fizzled out during this time. They were able to carve their own direction and quietly continue to exist without attempting to go full grunge or just falling apart like pretty much every other band of that style did. So I respect them for trying, but man it's not for me. Blackie's voice is grating, to say the least, and even if lyrically the songs are more meaningful musically I feel that this album has very little to offer. It's still thin sounding glittery hair Metal, but now the songs are super bloated and kinda pretentious. I mean, how many times have we heard the washed up rock star sob story? It's just not as interesting as Blackie thinks it is.

With all of that being said,I will listen to The Idol every day of the week before I listen to Return of the Sentinel again. I had avoided KK's Priest on principal until now - it seemed like such a sad attempt to recapture Judas Priest glory and like the entire project existed solely as a middle finger to KK's former band. The song is pretty much what I expected. On the positive side, there are some interesting riffs in the beginning and the drumming and bass playing is really solid. I don't really care for Ripper's vocals in general, but he sounds particularly ridiculous on this track. That whole acoustic outro is one of the worst things I've subjected my ears to. I'm sorry, but that long vibrato that Ripper frequently does sounds like a dying animal. I don't know how anybody could take that seriously, plus the bad double track/harmony editing where notes go in and out of tune or one ends early. The screeching. Ugh. Guitar playing is OK although the solos are really sloppy. I know KK isn't the smoothest player in general and I've never loved his lead playing, but it sounds like he is actually flubbing lines in his solos and it just sounds really amateurish. I'm surprised it got past the production stage, but at the same time I'm not surprised because this whole project seems like it was quickly slapped together and like the musical quality is really not a priority. This is to say nothing about the lyrical subject which is just stupid, but I'd be more willing to give it a pass if the music was interesting. As it is it's just a bloated mess with cheap callbacks and bad performances, particularly from the two members who are supposed to be the main components of this band (KK and Ripper).

Wake Up Dead is Megadeth at their best. Awesome riffing, great time changes, and a song that gets to its point right away without any belabored sections. This has always been one of my favorites. The only real flaw I can identify is that the lead guitar playing isn't great, but that goes for the entire album. Like I said when The Conjuring was here, Megadeth really needed Friedman to become a great band. But Wake Up Dead gets really close, the seeds of greatness are there. However, if this is a contest about lead guitar playing, it's not like Slayer has much more to offer. I do really enjoy Chemical Warfare and it's nice to see some classic Slayer in the game. Great riffing and pure energy, but not a lot of memorable musical qualities, at least not on the level of Wake Up Dead.

Mr Scary mostly serves as proof that George Lynch was/is a musician at a much higher caliber than the band he was in. Dokken was definitely one of those bands that were really solid but kinda got swept away in the glam thing. They have a lot of great songs but I think as the band went in a more poppy direction the guitar playing became more of a side show. Lynch can shred, but unlike other bands with virtuoso guitarists like Van Halen or Extreme, the songs tend to be quite lacking. Mr Scary is a good example, it's just a guitar solo showcase. It's cool, but beneath the shredding there isn't much in the way of memorable melodies or musical interaction with the rest of the band. I'll take it over Pour Some Sugar On Me easily, but I prefer the more holistic Rock of Ages overall (one of my favorite Leppard songs as well).

Too Hot to Handle
vs Won't Get Fooled Again is a joke matchup.

By My Last Words I'm feeling pretty burned out on Megadeth, especially since this is yet another track that is decent but I have a hard time seeing how it belongs in any top Metal songs list. There are so many more memorable Megadeth songs let alone other thrash songs that it just seems like a sort of random choice. Decent middle section riffing, but the rest of the song is pretty forgettable. Toxic Waltz is just the opposite. Memorable riffing throughout, tight transitions, a much more exciting song overall and one that has solidified Exodus as one of the great second tier Thrash metal bands. The lyrics are cheesy but hilarious and awesome. There's a lot of humor in thrash metal, something that is often forgotten about, but I think it's OK to have fun once in awhile, and thrash can be great party music. Bands like Exodus and Anthrax remind us of the genres punk/street roots.

If you're gonna pit Megadeth against Metallica you might as well have evened the playing fields, eh? "FFF" is a short, solid rocker with a chorus that is nothing special (it's got the best vocal performance from any of the Megadeth songs in this round, though), while "Damage, Inc." is a juggernaut, a powerful closing rager and arguably the most brutal thing Metallica ever wrote. Those riff are fucking killer, such an easy vote here.

In 2000, M. Night Shyamalan released a movie called Unbreakable which was a brilliant film about a man finding out that he's basically a superhero, and has to learn how to harness his newly discovered powers. This was before Shyamalan became the industry's biggest twist-factory, back when he was riding on the success of The Sixth Sense, which was also a brilliant film with one of the best twists in cinema history. Unbreakable also has a twist ending, and it actually comes quite close to that same level as it pulls the rug out from under you at the very end and leaves you re-examining everything you'd just seen before. But in Unbreakable, the twist is really just the cherry on top of an already excellent film. You watch a character regain his sense of control over his life, and it's incredibly beautiful. You fall in love with him over the course of the picture.

16 years later, Shyamalan released a film called Split. In a lot of ways, this one regained a lot of his credibility as a storyteller. I liked the film quite a bit, although I'm highly critical about the harmful light it casts on people with dissociative disorders. I do think that the underlying message about children and abuse is pretty powerful. Tucked away at the tail end of the film, though, it is revealed that the film takes place in the same universe as Unbreakable, bringing back our beloved hero from that first film once more. Better yet, Shyamalan was set to write a third film to tie everything up into a neat little trilogy. Fantastic! Can't wait to see it!

So. Glass fucking sucked. I get it on an artistic level but there was so much in this film that did not resonate with me on an emotional level. Worst of all, our Unbreakable hero gets resurrected for some more time in the spotlight and ends up... being drowned in a puddle. What the FUCK man?? The problem with Glass isn't that it's a completely bad film without any merits. The problem is that bringing back this character only to kill him off was completely wasteful. You should've just kept it as one film, Unbreakable, great from beginning to end, instead of closing the narrative in such an unsatisfying manner. Certainly without another sequel in between to make the ending feel a little deserved.

Well the mistake that Shyamalan made with Glass is the same one that KK "All's Well That Ends Well" Downing makes with his monster nine-minute closing epic to Sermons of the Sinner, "Return of the Sentinel". If you'll recall, "The Sentinel" is a character from the Judas Priest song of the same name, originally released on 1984's Defenders of the Faith. Not only is this character one of Priest's most iconic, his song is a massive contender for the best in the band's entire catalogue. The guitarwork is fucking sick and scorches you with its intensity; and Rob Halford gives one of his greatest performances. The final chorus is amazing. It's one of those songs that makes you feel so fucking empowered. It's why you listen to metal in the first place, to feel cool, to feel excited, to feel powerful. Love this fucking song.

And like everything I love about the original "Sentinel" is absolutely missing from this sequel. It's overlong, every riff feels stock, and instead of Rob Halford's piercing shrieks we get Tim "Victim of Changes" Owens. This poor guy. I'd almost feel sorry for him if his voice didn't get on my fucking nerves. He just never learned to properly sing, he tries to be all powerful and melodramatic but he doesn't know how to use his vibrato or just connect one note with the next. So many goddamn dips and turns, and there's even a part in here where it sounds like they got some guy at the pub to imitate Jag Panzer. His high notes are pretty much the one thing that stands out and even then he's a poor man's Halford (or Barlow, depending on what singer he's replacing in which band at whatever moment in time). Thank god Steve Harris went with Blaze instead.

Vocals and music aside, KK "Antipriest Superstar" Downing just has nothing interesting going on in the lyrical department, either. Again, the mistake here is resurrecting the Sentinel only to instantly kill him off. I'm sorry, I don't want a song about an aged Sentinel unable to defeat his foes. His final line is kinda cool, but it doesn't pack much of an emotional punch because it's a character that never had any extra storylines and therefore his defeat feels... thrown together. Like you've taken the Terminator and turned him into Don Quixote. Like you've taken David Dunn... and drowned him in a fucking puddle. Like, damn man, you had a heavy hand in writing the original "Sentinel" and now you've gone and fucking destroyed it??

And that's the thing that really strikes me about all this - it's clear to me why the current incarnation of Priest is the one with the Judas Priest name, and not this, frankly, cheap knockoff version. It feels to me like KK wants to assemble competent enough musicians and then pump out enough songs that he can compete with his previous band without putting in enough effort to keep the songs at that Priest standard. Compare this song to ANYthing on Firepower. Those fourteen songs are tight and furious and rival anything from the band's history. KK's Priest... is not that. If "The Sentinel" is a blockbuster action movie, then "Return of the Sentinel" is the direct-to-DVD attempt at bringing in a few extra bucks. Boring. Lifeless. Devoid of anything that would make me want to return to it.

And "The Idol" isn't the best song on The Crimson Idol, but damn, it's a really tight power ballad with a killer emotional chorus and some cool guitar work. It's a formidable song in its own right, but up against KK "Mr. Judas Prieez Nutz" Downing, it's the easiest vote in the world for W.A.S.P.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Anyway, more Megadeth! "Wake Up Dead" is a favorite of mine. I love how the it's an almost-instrumental. There's a verse, a bridge, and an outro refrain, which add just enough flavor to the song to give it structure. The rest is just a gold mine of fantastic Megadeth guitar work. Oh my god, the riffs are absolutely awesome. Definitely a contender for the best song on Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? Meanwhile, "Chemical Warfare" is a strong early Slayer song, but I'm mostly a fan of Reign in Blood and their other work doesn't quite grab me quite like that album does. They still had a ways to go before they'd decimate the thrash scene with that nuclear bomb, while Megadeth here have a tight-as-hell offering and a true thrash classic, and also my vote.

Next up it's a hair three-way between Def Leppard, Def Leppard, and De- I mean, Dokken. Who's the odd one out here? "Rock of Ages" is a classic hard rocker, super fun and catchy. "Mr. Scary" is a really cool guitar piece, but I don't think it ever hits its full potential. It keeps returning to the same spooky riff too much and the solos aren't interesting enough to bring that up. It's good, but it's certainly not their best song. Then there's "Pour Some Sugar on Me", which is a pop-metal juggernaut, incredibly catchy (to the point that I'm singing the fuck along), and has a really great riff that brings up memories of younger me listening to it on the radio. I like all three songs, but "Sugar" is the one I have the most emotional connection to nowadays, and therefore I'll be voting for it.

"Too Hot to Handle" is a stock rock song that doesn't do much for me. "Won't Get Fooled Again" is eight minutes of classic rock excellence that is forever cemented in history thanks to that phenomenal closing two minutes. The keyboard, the drum fill, the iconic scream (11 years before Bruce Dickinson would recreate it in the metal history books in "The Number of the Beast"), and even "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss", which is one of those lines I'll happily quote any chance I get... I mean, it's less metal than UFO, but The Who rock out way harder.

Finally, another Megadeth song vs Exodeez Nutz. ...shit, I already made that joke once before in this post... I'm voting Exodus; it's not the greatest song in the world but artistically I can appreciate them writing a '50s dance track in the form of a mosh pit anthem. It's pretty fun. Meanwhile "My Last Words" has a cool closing refrain and some solid guitar work, but the transitions are a bit off and my god are the verses a clusterfuck. Really needed some more time on this one, good lord.

KK´s Priest 0 - W.A.S.P. 20
:lol:
Isn´t this the most massive slaughter in the game so far?
You know I really should have nominated something else. :lol: Not only this song, but I knew the outcome when I was choosing it. Tough draw though.

I'm not feeling very well - nothing serious, just some kind of cold that pests the entire family - so I'll just write down the second half of my choices:

I'll go with Dokken, sure, why not.

If I had the mind to nominate something by The Who, about a million other songs would come to mind before WGFA, but it is what it is and I've never been a fan of UFO, so...

My Last Words was actually my ringtone for about a year and a half (the solo and that switch into the finale) around 2014 or so. The best song off that album, one of my favourite 'Deth songs. So, yet another Megadave, especially since I don't like Exodus, like, at all.

Back