The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 94-99

What is your favourite song in each match?

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Anywhere in the galaxy, it seems, except Guns N' Roses's jungle. It's not July yet, but when you're stuck in Hangar 18, there's not going to be any mornings. Megadeth. AC/DC shook Therapy? all night long, which doesn't seem good for getting help, but hey. To be honest, my version of paradise city would include an orgasmatron, but I guess GNR are prudes. Well, this One isn't trapped under ice. And finally, Pantera might be broken, but still gets to beat Venom.

Part II, Round 1, Matches 115-120

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 115
The Parchment Division​
Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death
vs.
Megadeth - The Skull Beneath the Skin​
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@DJMayes
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 116
2 Minutes to Midnight Division​
Metallica - Blackened
vs.
Ayreon - The Fifth Extinction​
Popoff 500
@Spambot, @MrKnickerbocker
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 117
Blaze Bayley Division​
Opeth - Blackwater Park
vs.
Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On​
DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@Shmoolikipod, @MrKnickerbocker, @Diesel 11
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 118
Wrathchild Division​
Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
vs.
Carcass - Death Certificate​
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Best Music Art 100​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 119
Senjutsu Division​
UFO - Rock Bottom
vs.
Judas Priest - Rock Hard Ride Free​
Popoff 500, Best Music Art 100
@The Dissident, @Stardust
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 1
Match 120
Where Eagles Dare Division​
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
vs.
Dream Theater - The Mirror​
Popoff 500, Best Music Art 100
@____no5, @LooseCannon
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Last edited:
"Beyond The Realms Of Death" is a very emotional song. You think it's a ballad with all these nice melodies and this quiet aura. But, when the chorus comes, Rob Halford's voice arrives and this is suddenly a burst of power. There is a great work of songwriting behind this song and it tells a story that it's very sad, about people who don't want to live anymore and who are artificially maintained alive. In the opposite, "The Skull Beneath The Skin" is very agressive and without any memorable moments and chorus. Technically, it's a very solid song and I like the heaviness and the power in it. But, it's not everything and I sometimes prefer a simpler song with beautiful melodies and delicacy. Judas Priest gave it to me with the 8th track on 'Stained Class'. So, this time my vote goes to "Beyond The Realms Of Death".

As I wrote previously, I prefer albums with a lot of atmospheres and filled with a bunch of emotions. 'And Justice For All' is one of these kind of records that makes you cry sometimes, despite its heaviness and the agressiveness. That added to the fact that this 4th album by the Four Horsemen is the 1st one with Cliff Burton on bass. That counts a lot for me. In the other side, I like Ayreon, at least the Universal Migrator double CD. The other records by Lucassen's project are very nice to listen to. But, I must admit they sound all the same. Especially '01011001'. I prefer to listen to something from Dream Theater or Symphony X or DGM or Masterplan, for example. So, this time I'm for "Blackened".

The third battle is a little more difficult for me, even though I'm a big Purple fan. Technically, Opeth is better. It's heavy and prog'. But, I rarely listen to bands with singers screaming like barbarians. So, that's why I'm not so much into death and black metal. Conversely, "The Battle Rages On" is a pure jewel, very groovy with nice Ian Gillan's vocals and great solos by Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore + the legendary jumping rhythm by Ian Paice. The reunited band has recorded a very pleasant album ('The Battle Rages On') in 1992. I was a very happy fan when this album came out. So, this is "The Battle Rages On" the winner.

I don't like Carcass. So I never really listened to this band, just one song. Death metal is not really for me, except bands like Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth or In Flames. Diamond Head is either a band that I don't listen to very often. But, as I'm a fan of 70's and 80's hard rock and heavy metal, I know this song very well. And 'Borrowed Time' is a real classic, as the song "Am I Evil ?". The intro is very doomish, Black Sabbath-esque and then it turns to majestic NWOBHM with a personal identity that inspired Metallica in the riffing and the way James Hetfield is singing. So, without Diamond Head no Metallica, that's for sure. My vote is clear : "Am I Evil ?" by Diamond Head.

This battle is the most difficult for me as UFO is unique and "Rock Bottom" is a huge classic of pure british hard rock. I love this song. BUT, I prefer Judas Priest. Rob Halford is a god, his voice is celestial and KK Downing and Glenn Tipton are a pair of unbeatable guitarists. They helped to forge heavy metal sound along with Dave Murray and Adrian Smith. Ian Hill and Dave Holland are great too. And 'Defenders Of The Faith' is a cult album along with 'British Steel' and 'Screaming For Vengeance'. It's only filled with gems and "Rock Hard, Ride Free" is a very heavy, agressive and inspired song with very high vocals, which I absolutely love. That's a fact. So, I vote for Judas Priest and "Rock Hard, Ride Free".

Finally, even if I'm a fan of Dream Theater, especially for the complexity of the songs structures and Mike Portnoy's drumming, I really can't stand James LaBrie voice. It upsets me a lot. On 'Images And Words' in particular. 'Awake' is a nice album, with good songs and some not very goods songs. The sound is weird. IMHO, the best Dream Theater has begun to exist in 2002 with the hugeness of 'Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence'. After this one, all DT's repertoire is majestic. Savatage, as Diamond Head, is not a band that I'm listening to often, because I'm more into Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon, all NWOBHM, Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Accept, Scorpions, etc and NWOTHM. Nevertheless, I consider 'Hall Of The Mountain King' to be one of the best progressive heavy metal albums ever. Jon Oliva is a very talented singer, Criss Oliva was a very great guitarist, the bassist Johnny Lee Middleton and the drummer Steve Wacholz also did a very big job. The eponymous track is just enormous and I really can't describe it in full. That's why my choice goes to Savatage and "Hall Of The Mountain King".

Easy win for the all-time classic Beyond The Realms Of Death.
Blackened, because of the riffs.
I prefer The Battle Rages On much more. One of Deep Purple's best 90's songs imo.
Diamond Head, by default.
UFO's Rock Bottom is class, but Rock Hard Ride Free is more exciting for me. I love the melodic riffs. One of Priest's most effective songs imo. All the solos are great.
Hall Of The Mountain King is a bit more interesting for me.

Michael Amott played in Carcass before starting Arch Enemy. Heartwork as a whole album is very much in line with where he’d go further with Arch Enemy, so…
Thanks for the advice. :) Nevertheless, I don't know, there is something with Carcass I don't like... Maybe the name, maybe the vocals, maybe the music itself. Don't know... :blink:

I’m drawing the fucking line here. “You Shook Me All Night Long” is a perfect rock song, one of AC/DC’s best, but there is nothing metal about it.
Then why is it at least as heavy as "Sweet Leaf", or half of the other early Sabbath songs that have made the list? Why is it heavier than any Zeppelin or Deep Purple song we've heard so far in the GMSC, when those two bands are often mentioned in the same breath as Black Sabbath as the progenitors of heavy metal?

Sorry, Mr. Train Engine, but I call bullshit on your calling of bullshit here...

"Beyond The Realms Of Death" has a very pretty 12-string opening and a pensive verse, with a really effective kick up into a heavy chorus. The verse melody is great, and while the chorus melody doesn't stand out as much, it still gets the job done. Great extended melodic solo through the middle, and a peppier one at the end. Great stuff. "The Skull Beneath The Skin" is one of the highlights of Megadeth's debut album, bursting with undeniable groove and killer riffs. That explosion into the riff with the fast soloing on top slays me every time, and the interlude with the descending riff and ascending fills is great too. This is a tough one with two worthy competitors, and I'd be fine with either one winning; but sorry, @DJMayes, I'm feeling @Stardust's nominee a little bit more at the moment. Winner: Megadeth - "The Skull Beneath The Skin"

"Blackened" has that killer harmonized fade-in and punchy main riff that keeps dancing back and forth around the beat. The verses are strong, as is the chorus, and the "-tion" bridge has a cool groove. The harmonized interlude is great and the first solo's pretty good, but the second series of solos is much better. Great stuff. "The Fifth Extinction" has some nice clean guitar bits and in-your-face synths, and some interesting vocal harmonies, but it sure takes its sweet time to get going. I don't really like the twee pre-chorus(?), but I'm totally down for the synth solos and the string interlude. This song is easily twice as long as it needs to be, and it's certainly not the greatest thing I've ever heard; but it's competent enough. Unfortunately, @Shmoolikipod, that's nowhere near enough to take down MrSpammerBotter's nominee here. Winner: Metallica - "Blackened"

"Blackwater Park" is musically a flat-out masterpiece, but with really hideous extreme vocals. "The Battle Rages On" has a surprisingly dark and driving main riff. Not thrilled with the vocals here, and the melodies aren't the best, though the chorus is OK. Great solo and interlude. Ew, minus one point for the synth horns toward the end. Yeah, this is some great guitar work in search of a better song. Sorry, @Wogmidget, but even with the Muppet tax this is a very easy call for MrShmoodickerPodder 3.666's nominee. Winner: Opeth - "Blackwater Park"

"Am I Evil?" has a dark and epic opening evoking comparisons to Holst's "Mars, Bringer Of War". Some fast soloing and harmonics give way to a simple but appealing groove. The singer's performance isn't the best, though he hits the notes. The vocal melodies are generally good, though the singer's weird detours detract from them a bit. The solos are pretty strong, and I like how they dabble with neoclassical feel a bit. Good stuff overall, though Metallica's cover is still the superior version. "Death Certificate" is pretty dope complex thrash with expectedly bad non-melodic vocals. The solo section is also refreshingly melodic without losing its edge. Great music with bad vocals, but still not as bad as most extreme metal in that department. These are both pretty good in their own way, but I'm feeling the Diamond Head track a little more. Winner: Diamond Head - "Am I Evil?"

"Rock Bottom" has an interesting riff and a strong verse, but the chorus is a repetitive dud. The bridge is nice, and the jam through the middle of the song is good with some great soloing. Very good overall, mostly on the strength of the instrumental parts. "Rock Hard Ride Free" has a cool ominous opening, and nice soloing and harmonized guitar passages. The verse is punchy, the pre-chorus is pretty good, and the chorus is big and effective. The reprise of the intro with odd timing is pretty cool too. Very good overall. This one is sort of close, but sorry The Darridunt, I think @srfc's nominee is a more complete package that sticks harder. Winner: Judas Priest - "Rock Hard Ride Free"

"Hall Of The Mountain King" has a cool, ominous opening riff with some nice soloing. The verse riff is also cool, but the singer is all over the place rhythmically, and I'm not a fan of the timbre of his voice. The chorus is also kind of a nothingburger. The interlude is interesting, though I could do without the vocal "eh, eh, ehs". Strong soloing, and I like how the backing guitars keep going back and forth between distorted and clean sounds under the solo. OK, the singer is getting super annoying by this point. The queasy clean outro is cool, though. Hmm, this is about half of a great song with a bunch of unfocused bullshit mixed in. Oh well. "The Mirror" has interesting rhythmic play, and it gets a bonus point for using pipe organ. LaBrie trying to sound tough is laughable, the vocal lines are uneven, and I'm not super fond of the nu-metal feel of the rhythm guitars, but the rest of the music is good. Sorry, ____noo5eCannon, but I think the list nominee has the edge here. Winner: Dream Theater - "The Mirror"

Then why is it at least as heavy as "Sweet Leaf", or half of the other early Sabbath songs that have made the list? Why is it heavier than any Zeppelin or Deep Purple song we've heard so far in the GMSC, when those two bands are often mentioned in the same breath as Black Sabbath as the progenitors of heavy metal?

Sorry, Mr. Train Engine, but I call bullshit on your calling of bullshit here...

I've only listened to Ayeron song so far of the ones I don't know, and You Shook Me All Night Long is much more metal than it, a great riff and lyrics about filth not something about "demonstrable sentience"

• Love
Reactions: Jer
I've only listened to Ayeron song so far of the ones I don't know, and You Shook Me All Night Long is much more metal than it, a great riff and lyrics about filth not something about "demonstrable sentience"
With how some of the matches are going right now I agree that "demonstrable sentience" is not very metal. -_- joke

With how some of the matches are going right now I agree that "demonstrable sentience" is not very metal. -_- joke

I'm only having a bit of a joke myself, in case anyone takes that seriously.

But can we leave all the what is and isn't metal stuff to a different thread at this stage? We all might like and dislike various different genres etc. and have differing opinions on what is and isn't metal, but I think it's pretty much clear that everything that has appeared in the game can be considered to be on some level at least to be under the wider umbrella of what metal is, in a way that Taylor Swift, Johnny Cash or Scooter clearly are not under that umbrella.

Overall I don't mind if someone wants to vote against a song because they don't think it clears a bar. But we can never really agree on where the bar is, so it does become challenging. "It's not metal enough for me" is fine.

Beyond the Realms of Death, Blackened, Blackwater Park, Hall of the Mountain King , and Am I Evil all represent the best those bands have to offer and would make a pretty solid top 5. I voted for all except Am I Evil, mostly because I think the Metallica version is better and I prefer Carcass, but that was a tricky choice. Rock Hard Ride Free is one of my favorite mid-tier Priest songs - it's not a mega hit but it is among the band's best work. The instrumental section is so cool, love the changing time signatures.

Beyond the Realms of Death has amazing vocals from Halford, killer dynamics, and one of the bands best guitar solo sections. Just a killer song through and through. Skull Beneath The Skin, while a highlight on the underrated Megadeth debut, does not have the same kind of emotional power. It has riffs for days, but Priest take this one.

The Fifth Extinction is the usual from Arjen: a great, massive slab of Broadway metal featuring some of the best singers in the business. I love it. It’s awesome. But Blackened is one of the tightest, most ferocious and best thrash metal masterpieces. Metallica are firing on all cylinders (well, we can assume Newsted was firing on all cylinders despite not being able to hear him) and the song just kicks non-stop ass.

Look, The Battle Rages On is fine. It’s a cool Deep Purple tune. But Blackwater Park is a contender for the top five here. Every single riff is 100% perfect. Every mood, every production choice is top notch. Not to mention, Akerfeldt sounds like a goddamn tyrannosaurus. It’s a masterpiece.

Am I Evil is a stellar classic metal tune. Death Certificate has some great instrumental work, but it doesn’t really grab me in any way.

Rock Bottom is a slick tune with a really cool, slinky main riff. Vocals are solid as always with UFO and the guitar work is great. It has really nice dynamics, too. Rock Hard Ride Free has an amazing intro and I really enjoy the guitar work throughout, especially the delay and reverb drenched leads. I actually think UFO have stronger vocal melodies than Halford in this match, but Rock Hard Ride Free wins on the strength of its twin guitar attack.

Hall of the Mountain King is an absolute beast. The riffs, the aura of maddening darkness, the wacky ass vocals…it’s so cool. I do agree that the “eh, eh, eh” bit is annoying, but also so silly it kinda works. I love The Mirror, but Dream Theater can do much better and I’m not sure the same can be said of Savatage.

Back