The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 88-93

What is your favourite song in each match?

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I don’t enjoy this Slipknot song and I don’t enjoy this Ozzy song. Generally, I’d vote for Ozzy in something like this, but his performance is terrible here (especially those echoed lines at the end) and the instrumental does not mesh with the lyrics at all. You’ve got lyrics about suicide and the reaper, yet the music sounds like shopping at the mall for a new purse. Wait And Bleed at least achieves what it is trying to do, however lame that is.

There’s a lot of flaws in White Pearl, Black Oceans, but it’s not a song about “rocking and rolling all night” and, more importantly, it’s not Kiss.

Child In Time has pretty great dynamics, but it’s also way too long. It goes off on a massive blues/rock jam tangent and then settles back down…just to repeat the first part of the song with more falsettos. It’s cool, sure, but Purple continues to whelm me. Perfect Strangers, however, is boring as hell with the exception of that riff in the middle (and outro). It’s pointless, otherwise. I guess Child In Time.

A thrash titan from one of the greatest metal albums of all time, Disposable Heroes pummels your ears from the jump and never lets up for 8 minutes. It’s not my favorite Metallica song, but it’s still awesome. The Stooges do not belong here.

Whole Lotta Love has a classic blues riff, but it’s also a pretty annoying song. Those sound effects are grating and Plant is at his most obnoxious. Speaking of annoying: the two minutes of bongos and orgasms can die a cold, cold death. More Human Than Human once again draws lucky here and wins for me (despite also having too much orgasm audio).

Achilles Last Stand has really cool music, I cannot deny. It’s got the gallop that inspired our favorite band, I get it. That said, I still find half of Plant’s vocals to be pretty ill-suited to the song (and again with the orgasming shit). I know it has zero chance here, but Warzone is such a groovy, kickass tune! Of course, I’m biased with Armored Saint, but I have more fun listening to this three-and-a-half minute banger than the nearly eleven minute Zeppelin ramble.
All of this minus the Kiss slander.

"Wait And Bleed" alternates between annoying whiny vocals and annoying screamy vocals. The vocal lines aren't very good, though the screamy bits are at least rhythmically interesting. The rest of the music is completely forgettable. No thanks. "Suicide Solution" has a slightly edgier take on a Purplesque groove, and the vocal lines are pretty good, though Ozzy sounds bored. I like the atmospheric interludes in this one. Not a great song by any means, but it easily wins against a weak competitor. Winner: Ozzy Osbourne - "Suicide Solution"

"Rock And Roll All Nite" has insipid lyrics, but the vocal melodies are pretty good, and the song has a simplistic but appealing upbeat groove. It's just lightweight pop-rock junk food, but it's good for what it is. "White Pearl, Black Oceans" has a pleasant opening, if a bit twee. There's something a bit odd about the singer's accent that doesn't quite sit right with me, but he otherwise sounds good except when he gets raspy. There's this persistent Broadway feel to all of the vocals that's a bit much, and the vocal melodies meander a lot without really making their point, like a wimpy version of Blind Guardian during their overblown '00s era. The piano interludes are nice, though. The Sonata Arctica song is certainly more elaborate, but sorry @Spambot, I think I would actually prefer to listen to the list nominee here. Sometimes a generic diet soda is more refreshing than an overly complex red wine. Winner: Kiss - "Rock And Roll All Nite"

I’m not particularly wowed by “Child In Time”. The verses are nice and the jam is nice, but the high-pitched “ah-ahs” are pretty cringey and it’s not all that interesting structurally. It’s good with some weaker elements, I suppose. I think I like the abbreviated Blackmore’s Night rendition better, as the female voices carry the high notes more cleanly and the song has more atmosphere with a more acoustic approach. "Perfect Strangers" features a perfectly serviceable Purple groove and OK but uninspiring vocal lines. I like the change of feel for the chorus, but the chorus itself falls pretty flat. The staccato riff in the interludes is cool, though. Not thrilled with either track, but in this tired dad rock battle I guess the older track by the younger version of the band is a bit better. Winner: Deep Purple - "Child In Time"

“Disposable Heroes” has riffage that rolls over you like a freight train, with some fun rhythmic change-ups along the way. The vocal lines are pretty good through the verse and pre-chorus, and the chorus and bridge are great. The extended multi-part solo section is flat-out awesome, especially with the sweet little harmonized leads punctuating the whole thing. The verses start to feel a little repetitive over time, but it almost feels petty to mention that given how great the rest of the song is. "Search And Destroy" is super raw, and not in a good way. There are a few good vocal melodies here, and the guitar work is surprisingly great, but otherwise the performances aren't anything special. Sorry Iggy, but you will die when @Diesel 11 says you must die -- back to the front! Winner: Metallica - "Disposable Heroes"

"Whole Lotta Love" has a pleasant enough groove, and Plant's performance is strong as usual, but the lyrics are stupid, the vocal melodies aren't very memorable, and the song goes off on an LSD trip for half of its runtime. "More Human Than Human" has a dope synth-infused groove. Zombie's voice sucks, there's barely any melodic line at all, and the song is repetitive as shit, but at least it carved out a semi-unique sound for him. And if forced to listen to one of these songs multiple times, it's pretty obvious which one would stand up better to repeated listens. Winner: White Zombie - "More Human Than Human"

“Achilles Last Stand” has a great solo and outro, but is otherwise unremarkable. "Warzone" has great riffs, and the verse vocal line is pretty good, but the vocal melodies kind of fall apart on the pre-chorus and chorus. The solos are good, but not great. The soft, neutered bass tone also isn't my favorite. But sorry, @Stardust, I think @MrKnickerbocker's nominee is the stronger song here. Winner: Armored Saint - "Warzone"

"Warzone" has great riffs...The soft, neutered bass tone also isn't my favorite. But sorry, @Stardust, I think @MrKnickerbocker's nominee is the stronger song here. Winner: Armored Saint - "Warzone"
I'm very glad you voted for Armored Saint, but...

Say whaaaaaaat?! I would never describe Joey Vera's bass tone as "soft" or "neutered". Compressed here, sure, but you can actually hear the bass, which is more than can be said of half the bands in the game. Those octave jumps in the intro are practically jumping out of the speakers. I would also argue that his tone is part of the reason why the guitars have so much distinction.

Child in Time is a behemoth proto-metal track, but I'm slightly leaning Perfect Strangers. That keyboard riff in the middle! Perfect Strangers is a strange (in a good way) album. It's like Deep Purple already knew they were an older metal act by the mid 80's and just kinda reinforced that they were gonna do things their way. Great stuff though.

Child in Time is a behemoth proto-metal track, but I'm slightly leaning Perfect Strangers. That keyboard riff in the middle! Perfect Strangers is a strange (in a good way) album. It's like Deep Purple already knew they were an older metal act by the mid 80's and just kinda reinforced that they were gonna do things their way. Great stuff though.
Yeah, these are two immortal and worthy tracks by the band, although I picked Child In Time myself. I'm amazed at the fact that people in this thread don't seem to like either of the songs. I guess I'm one of the old school rock/metal fans now! :D

I would never describe Joey Vera's bass tone as "soft" or "neutered". Compressed here, sure, but you can actually hear the bass, which is more than can be said of half the bands in the game.
Yes, you can hear it, but it has this soft, thwumpy feel like he's playing in a jazz band instead of a metal band. It has presence, but it has no punch, IMO.

This Armored Saint song has a great heavy riff! TCW vibe to it, methinks.

I prefer Perfect Strangers to Child In Time. Both are iconic, but that keyboard riff in the middle (and the vocals) is too good for me.

Sonata Arctica's White Pearl, Black Oceans is definitely better in terms of ideas than the studio version of Rock And Roll All Nite (and it's a different style). One of their best songs imo. I like both, but I guess sometimes the simpler song wins.

Yeah, these are two immortal and worthy tracks by the band, although I picked Child In Time myself. I'm amazed at the fact that people in this thread don't seem to like either of the songs. I guess I'm one of the old school rock/metal fans now! :D
I only know their big songs but Child in Time and Perfect Strangers are my top two, easily. The comments shocked me too.

Seems like Deep Purple isn't that highly regarded on this forum in general, sadly. To me they're one of the greatest bands ever, and absolutely vital in me getting into rock and metal back in the day.

Missed this round, but my votes wouldn't have changed any of the outcomes anyway.

Ozzy's suicide solution was just to wait and bleed. It looks like KISS can rock and roll all night, but not on Sonata Arctica's black ocean. It's Child in Time, Deep Purple, they aren't perfect strangers. Who are Izzy's stooges? Just some disposable heroes. Metallica. Led Zeppelin's got a whole lotta love for the, uh, more humans? Armored Saint knows that Achilles will eventually get his ankle pierced in their warzone.

Part II, Round 2, Matches 64-69

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 64
Alexander the Great Division​
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
vs.
Dream Theater - The Spirit Carries On​
Popoff 500, Radio EHS 100
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 65
Run to the Hills Division​
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
vs.
Myrath - Wide Shut​
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 66
If Eternity Should Fail Division​
At the Gates - Suicide Nation
vs.
Manowar - Warriors of the World United​
Popoff 500
@Spambot
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 67
Virtual XI Division​
Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen
vs.
Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow​
Popoff 500, VH1 40
Nominators
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 68
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son Division​
Gamma Ray - Avalon
vs.
Annihilator - Alison Hell​
@KidInTheDark666, @Kalata
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 2
Match 69
Sanctuary Division​
Guns N' Roses - November Rain
vs.
Metallica - The Thing That Should Not Be​
@Poto
Nominators
Popoff 500​
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Bohemian Rhapsody is fascinating, catchy, innovative... but kind of a mess, let's be honest. Also, overplayed, at least to me. The Spirit Carries On might be overplayed as well, but the Oldfieldean guitar solo would get my vote even if the rest of the song was bollocks and it really isn't. I admit it doesn't work as well outside the context of the album, but ballad or not, it was among the first Dream Theater songs I heard and the first I really liked. Sue me.

Myrath's Eastern-tinged symphopowermetallicisms over Ministry's annoying datedness any time of the day.

Manowar are cheesy, no doubt about that (in fact, I voted against them several times in this cup), but still closer to my general worldview than At the Gates, I guess.

The next match is pure artist bias - I like neither song, but since I'm a huge fan of Alice Cooper, I'll give him the edge here.

With apologies to Per, I can't help but vote for the okay power metal track over the admittedly stellar thrash one. I know it's unfair. Again, sue me.

TTTSNB is a plodding, constipated mess of a track that kinda brings the first half of the MoP album down (much as Leper Mesisah brings down its second half); it has its charm, definitely, but especially with the anti-GNR bias of this forum (or at least it seemed to me that way) I think I'll go with the unabashed sentimentality and the certain cheese of November Rain.

My only comment on this round is that while I feel bad for voting for Manowar, at least it is in service of voting for one of the handful of songs they made that doesn't sound just like a constant rehash of everything they did; it is one of the songs they have spent 30 years rehashing instead.

DT for the first - and I hope last - time, because nominated by a member.
Ministry all the way.
Ditto At The Gates.
Alice.
Alison.
Goodbye Guns, You Should Not Be.

I love The Spirit Carries On, despite all of its cheesy lameness. The solo is one of the most beautiful musical moments in all of prog. But can I reasonably argue that it is a better song than Bohemian Rhapsody? I can not.

Jesus Built My Hotrod is a joke, right? It’s like a South Park song? Anyway, Myrath with the supremely better song.

I actually like the music in Suicide Nation, but, shockingly, Manowar gets a win here for being their most down-to-earth self.

I’m Eighteen is neither amazing nor metal, but this Suicidal track just sounds like children.

Avalon sounds like someone shoved a Sabaton chorus into Dream of Mirrors, and I kinda dig it. Way too long, but fun. But, IDK, there’s something so endearing about Alison Hell. Every time it pops up here it surprises me and I have a grand old time with it.

November Rain is a bloated ego strokejob and The Thing That Should Not Be is an absolute powerhouse - the first time we heard how truly heavy Metallica could be.

Back