The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 2, Matches 76-81

What is your favourite song in each match?

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Metallica - Harvester of Sorrow -->There are better songs in Alice in Hell imo.
Gojira - Global Warming -->The better of two. Vote didn't register
AC/DC - Sin City -->More authentic and straight fwd.
Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold (Tempus Edax Rerum)
Jag Panzer - The Crucifix
Arcturus - The Throne of Tragedy -->The best discovery and proposition of this round, thanks @Magnus :edmetal:

Well, at least your special someone has better taste than you do! :p (Or perhaps my plea of “Oh, @Lamia020281, please, I’m down on my knees!” was successful!)
Well, I don't know about better taste, as my favorite songs (like Motorbreath) get badly bashed by other voters. I didn't even know that one was generally so disliked. But the song Jer nominated was really good, so I voted for it, although I actually like Blind Guardian! But most of the time, I guess MindRuler's taste is more distinguished than mine.

I wouldn´t call it distinguished though, I have some weird taste (for instance I prefer the 80´s synth era of JethroTull over their folky 70´s, Kreator´s Endorama gothic approach over their classic thrash sound, Ozzy´s Ultimate Sin album over the Rhoads years and so on...)
Also the older I get, the less metal I consume, oh the irony voting in the GMSC.... :D

Annihilator have an okay track with truly terrible transitions, but Harvester of Sorrow is an absolute beast of a song. One of the most memorable, weighty tunes in their whole discography. Metallica, verily and easily.

There is almost nothing enjoyable for me in the second match. Endless pot banging and awful harsh vocals are two of my pet peeves, so about 80% of Against The Gods is a terrible listening experience for me. I don’t get Gojira. The vocals are annoying. That main riff is annoying. Drummer’s great, though. I guess I’m voting for Gojira simply because their drummer is preferable to the competition. Otherwise, this song is hollow.

Third match is a toss up. On one hand, AC/DC sound like AC/DC and that’s just fine, if boring. On the other Queen are way more interesting and musically diverse, but I don’t know if I could argue that Ogre Battle is a better song. Ah, oh well. I’m going with pomp and “ahhhhh’s!” and Queen.

Thorn is an alright tune off of a classic album. As with all Blind Guardian it is overwrought and overstuffed with noise, but the quality still shines through. Absolute peak nerd metal. I have also never heard Sacred Outcry before but this was impressive. Great playing all around, a great cheesy singer with serious range, stand out bass guitar work, and yet…it’s truly too long. The ending is fantastic, but everything after the 9 minute mark should be another song. It’s a lot of tacking on for the sake of epicness. Still, it is very compelling and I’d be lying if I said I preferred the musical choices in Thorn. A wild card vote for Towers of Gold.

Jag Panzer have a cool musical creation in The Crucifix, with good riffs and great atmosphere. It’s like a slightly beefed up Maiden. The vocals during the first half are serviceable, but when Conklin gets too high at the end it’s very caterwauling and occasionally flat. Angra is better in every way, with Kiko displaying his usual flair for interesting shred. As above, the vocals are the weakest part here, but it’s a strong song with some really cool dynamics and proggy twists. I love the book-ending riff, too.

Holy basement dwellers, Batman! Arcturus sounds like an ultimate fanboy messing around in the basement with the Zelda theme song and a Casio keyboard. Far and away the most amateur thing so far. The person behind the mic (I struggle to refer to them as a vocalist) is horrendous. Jinn sounds like Tool as produced by Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson, which it turns out is a decent combination. The song is a bit too one-dimensionally melancholic for my general tastes, but it’s solid nonetheless. I would say that Soen won this match, but that is to imply that they had any competition.

I'm not the biggest Alice in Hell fan, and Harvester is a classic song from Metallica's best 80s album.

I was fully prepared to vote against Gojira since I typically dislike them, but this song is actually really good.

Sin City is a cool tune, but Ogre Battle is one of the better hard rock songs by Queen.

Sacred Outcry's song was fine but I felt it really dragged on and on. BG's Thorn is an underrated gem, surely one of the bigger growers on Nightfall.

Jag Panzer was also just fine, nothing really special, but still enjoyable. Nothing to Say is a great song and features a great Matos vocal performance with memorable keys as well. Angra easily.

Arcturus vs Soen is easily the weakest matchup of this round with both songs being just kinda eh.

Holy basement dwellers, Batman! Arcturus sounds like an ultimate fanboy messing around in the basement with the Zelda theme song and a Casio keyboard. Far and away the most amateur thing so far. The person behind the mic (I struggle to refer to them as a vocalist) is horrendous.
Batman-slapping-Robin-Meme-Blank.jpg
I hope you´re not offended @MrKnickerbocker but after you mentioned Batman I couldn't resist...

Some catching up necessary it seems:
Edge of Sanity, easy. Do they always have this sound, or do they usually go more towards typical death metal?
Ah. Their very early stuff is, more or less, typical death metal, later is, dunno, post-death? melodic death? progressive death?
That song is atypical in any case.
@Magnus, were you aware?
Well yeah, I'd even say it's basically the same song, with different lyrics and different sound. The Storm one was released a bit earlier as far as I remember.
(@Magnus , you're going to vote the same, aren't you?)
Yeah, I owe them. I remember seeing them live in Paris in 2007 I think it was, and they were playing after Watain and before Enslaved. So obviously that's when I went out for a beer and a pee and an unexpected bump into Watain's singer.

Very strong thrash match-up here. "Human Insecticide" is a contender for the best song on Alice in Hell (alongside the title track); the guitar work is absolutely FURIOUS and I love the way they utilize melody in the brutality. Absolutely takes no prisoners and is a thrash classic. I like "Harvester of Sorrows" more than I remember sometimes, it's quite a song to bob your head to. That said, it's one of those songs where I like the core elements a decent amount but find the way it's assembled to be a little lackluster. Some of those transitions are too much, the start-and-stop motions hurt more than they heal, and the noticeable lack of bass gives it a very demo-like feel. But I mean when James yells "All have said their prayers; invade their nightmares!" I'm so onboard. Ultimately one song here is more well-rounded over all, and that's Annihilator's. With a little more time in the oven and a little less production fuckery, though, "Harvester" could've eeked out the win.

There were some solid moments in "Against the Gods" and I enjoyed the extended outro, but Gojira really brought it. "Global Warming" is a very repetitive song, but man I love that swirling guitar that keeps coming back, and the outro refrain is cool as hell. Might not be perfect, but it's up my alley and better than Keep of Kalessin, who admittedly did have a bit more variety.

In the hard rock battle we have, on the one side, AC/DC. A lot of their early stuff gives me the sense that if you've heard one song, you've heard them all, and "Sin City" really has all their usual trademarks. It's fun, but it just doesn't grip me. On the other hand, we've got Queen, one of the classic rock bands that kinda just annoys me. Usually. I'm really surprised at how good "Ogre Battle" is! It's from their second album, and I'm more used to their more polished hits, but I really love Brian May's guitar in this track (kind of feels justified to include this song in the game), and Freddie isn't as grating on me as he usually is. Shockingly voting Queen here.

The monster centerpiece match-up is a couple of really strong power metal tracks. @JudasMyGuide had basically convinced me of "Thorn" even before I listened to the song myself, thanks to his really good write-up. My impression is that it's a strong song with a good ballad structure that still knows it's really rocking hard. Didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it. After the, to be frank, dud of a Gamma Ray track in "Gardens of the Sinner", I was a little skeptical to hear @Jer 's next power metal nominee, but holy shit was I blown away from beginning to end. My one complaint is that the vocalist is a little thin (shall I jokingly say the song could use some harsh vocals for variety?), but when he sets his mind on something it's fucking cool, and he knows how to layer his voice well, too. I mean the whole thing never stays in one place for very long and keeps you on your toes, and it's already good right from the beginning but after the 9 minute mark it's phenomenal. Everything from the bass interlude to the very end is just... chef's kiss. Blind Guardian were good, but this is an easy vote for Sacred Outcry.

After two strong power metal tracks, we now have two... aight power metal tracks. I think "The Crucifix" was a more interesting song overall, but damn that vocalist sounds like he's a member of a hunting party, it's noon, they haven't caught shit, and he's already layed into the liquor. The instrumental parts are pretty cool, but his voice is just a big nope from me. Andre Matos isn't much better, I know he's a Brazilian legend but he kind of grates on me. The song is more rounded overall, though, and has some higher highs than Jag Panzer, so... yeah, it's a rough vote for Angra. The guitar and keyboards are really what cinch it for me, very cool shit.

The final match-up is tough. Neither of these songs are my thing, but both have good qualities. Soen's song was a bit boring, I definitely get the Opeth comparisons, but the vocal melodies towards the end were great. Meanwhile Arcturus was just a what the fuck moment from start to finish. I mean, it starts off sounding like a more normal black metal song, but along the way I get this whiplash of smooth jazz, Depeche Mode, and even Russian dancing, all while sounding evil as shit. Crazy song. I was a bit torn, but @MrKnickerbocker put Arcturus down so hard that I'm honestly voting for them just in response to his post. Thanks for the help!

Strange, I always thought vocals are a strong point of Jag Panzer’s The Crucifix, kind of Bob Dylan ugly /beautiful type, there’s lots of character there.

Looks like I voted for the losers this time, but I can't be mad. This was probably the strongest batch so far, every song was great except for Angra which I found lackluster.

Sacred Outcry was impressive and I wanted to see how it fares in the round robin stage so I went with it despite liking Thorn more. I'll remember to give the album a listen, right after I remember to hear the new Soen :p. Speaking of which, La Masquerade Infernale is the other album @Magnus won me over with in the GMAC. I considered nominating Master of Disguise but this is my second favourite.

...And I guess I never got to the end of Alice in Hell because this song just slays and I didn't recall it. Holy brutality man, AJFA gets me going like no album does but this certainly competes!

Never got a chance to listen to that round.

The only round I already knew both songs, I would have voted for Harvester of Sorrow over Human Insecticide, I like both but Harvester is a classic, plus was a great 12 inch back in the day with Breadfan and The Prince on it, one of the best ever metal singles. Also, I don't know the Queen track but I'd say there's no chance I'd not have voted for the classic Sin City. It's a classic from the best Bon Scott album plus the version on AC/DC Live was recorded in Dublin too.

Gonna have to call for kicks on AC/DC vs Queen. First person to respond with a band will get to pick the winner.

Does my post in favour of AC/DC from earlier today count? It was post the closing of the poll, and I never voted either.

Back