02. Mother of Mercy
03. The Alchemist
04. Isle of Avalon
05. Starblind

06. Death or Glory
07. Tears of a Clown
08. The Man of Sorrows
09. Empire of the Clouds

These are two albums that I didn't much appreciate at first but have risen heavily in my favorites.
At this point The Final Frontier for me is definitely Top 5 and Book of Souls is definitely more appreciated now.

Funny thing, when you really like a band you will exhibit patience. My favorite 3 bands are Rush / Yes / Iron Maiden in that order.
One thing these bands have in common is that they have very complex - I'd rather say brilliant- concepts that don't necessarily translate to one easy listen.
But when you give them a fair listen you can appreciate brilliance.
My annoying flaw is that I have no patience for new bands. I should give them a fair listen, but most often I don't. Mia Culpa.

„The Book of final frontier souls”
  1. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
  2. El Dorado
  3. The Alchemist
  4. The Book of souls
  5. Speed of light
  6. Coming Home
  7. If Eternity Should Fail
Disc 2
  1. Isle Of Avalon
  2. Death or Glory
  3. The Talisman
  4. When the wild wind blows
  5. Empire of a clouds

Last edited:
Just noticed I haven't done this before. I think you could actually take both albums and make the reunion era's greatest album by far, although the albums are pretty different from each other. What it comes down to for me is that 75% of The Final Frontier is GOAT Maiden, but it has a couple clunkers. Book of Souls is a consistent listen, but very rarely reaches the stratosphere. So if you replace the Final Frontier fillers with Book of Souls classics, you've got a pretty excellent album.

I gave myself a couple of additional challenges:
1 - No double album.
2 - It has to follow the general "rules" for Maiden. In other words, The Talisman and The Book of Souls can't both be on there, only one acoustic Janick epic. Killing The Talisman was brutal, but The Book of Souls might be the best song in the reunion era.

1: If Eternity Should Fail
2: El Dorado
3: Mother of Mercy
4: Coming Home
5: The Alchemist
6: Isle of Avalon
7: Starblind
8: The Book of Souls
9: The Man of Sorrows (yes, really)
10: When the Wild Wind Blows

Back