Star Trek: In what order should I watch it?

Mega

Ancient Mariner
So I watched the new star trek film, and thought it was pretty cool, so now I wanna watch the entire original series.
My problem is that there are 80 episodes and like 5 movies, so in what order should I watch them and where do they fit within the series?

I hope there are some trekkies here to answer this.

80 episodes and 7 movies related to the Original Series only... not to mention there is The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager, plus 3 movies related to TNG alone.

If you want it chronologically, Start out with the Original Series and watch it entirely. When you're done with that, watch the first six movies (Star Trek: The Motion Picture through The Undiscovered Country). Then, start with The Next Generation, and somewhere in season six (I believe), start watching Deep Space Nine additionally. When you're done with TNG, and while still busy with DS9, watch the Star Trek: Generations, then back to some DS9 and start mixing it with Voyager (not sure when exactly, but pretty soon). Meanwhile, watch First Contact and then, when you're done with everything, the last two TNG related movies.

That ought to keep you busy for the next two or three years. :D

It depends on the following: what do you find important about an order, in case you're planning to see them all anyway. Good ones first, worst ones last? Now what's cool about that? Who likes a great starter and a crappy desert?

My advice: If you really want to see it all, and really want to follow an order, I'd follow the chronological order to see the developments in the stories, characters and technique.

What's also interesting in my opinion is to watch the worst recommendations first (and who knows you might even like those films hehe) and end up with the best recommendations. Like this, it's hard to be disappointed.

:)
My 2 cents.

The very best of Star Trek is beyond a shade of doubt First Contact, the film.

The very worst is The Final Frontier. In fact, the latter movie is so despicably bad that you can just skip it, and nobody is going to blame you.

However, I would recommend anyone wanting to start with Star Trek to watch the Original Series first. It is very campy from a modern point of view, and some episodes are in fact pretty bad, but it lays the ground stone to everything to be in the future, and is simply essential to understand things in future series and films. You can safely skip a few episodes here and there, but you should be familiar with the series as a whole before you start anything else.

It's impossible to describe how important Star Trek: The Original Series is to how we developed technology. So much stuff on that show is around today. Remember it's from the 60s and you will enjoy it, thoroughly.

Guys, I just wanna watch the original series for now, no need to go into too much detail.
So complete the series, then the movies. Got it.
I'll ask again in several months if I decide to watch the next generation and what not.

'Till then, general Star Trek thread?

Have fun with that!  TOS is great tv watching and you'll have a blast with it.  It is def more light-hearted than any of the Trek that comes along later. 
Ok, one other thing-- I know most here don't like it, and I even remember the quote from SMX  'sucks sweaty donkey balls', but the series Enterprise was kinda interesting, in that they explained some of the reasons that things happened.... why Klingons went from looking like dirty humans to having massive ridge brows and the like. 

Umm, that's why I asked if this should become it. I just had to change the title.
Oh well.

Perun said:
The very worst is The Final Frontier.
How weird is this.

I had the TV on in the background showing the cycling - not really that keen on the sport, but it was on. Then I read this post, picked up my DVD copy of this film and read the blurb about it to remember the story line. As I was reading the bit that said:

"Captain Kirk faces two challenges: climbing Yosemite's El Capitan and teaching campfire songs to Spock."

What should come up on the TV after the cycling? A trailer for the Oxford/Cambridge boat race. What song did they use as a backdrop for this trailer? "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." I kid you not. :D

Back