Songs not meant to be played live

I'm sorry for the thread bump, but the topic is quite interesting.

Maiden songs not meant to be played live imo (no, it's not Alexander The Great):

Empire Of The Clouds - piano, 18 minutes long.
Starblind - difficult song?
Isle Of Avalon - because of the proggy solos?
The Legacy - insane vocals, although they played it.
Face In The Sand - double bass.
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate - because of the vocals in the verses and the brutal high vocals in the latter part of the song?
The Prophecy - because of the back and forth vocals in the verses.
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - the chorus is a bit specific for live performances, like the chorus of Childhood's End.
The Duellists - difficult harmonies for 2 guitars back then?
To Tame A Land - it's not a good live song, it's perfect for the studio.
Prodigal Son - same as above.

There is another factor:
Some songs will never be played because they are ''fillers'' or not popular enough or are not from the band's most popular albums:

The material from Killers is not that suitable for Bruce. From the debut album, yes (without Strange World).

Material from their least popular albums - NPFTD, FOTD, TXF and VXI, although they can play fan favorites like: Clansman, Futureal, Sign Of The Cross, Judas Be My Guide(!), No Prayer For The Dying (Tailgunner, Public, Daughter). Songs like Fear Is The Key (a really atypical song for the band) and Chains Of Misery and Apparition (Steve is not a fan of them) have no chance. Steve wanted to play Fugitive. I think Weekend Warrior could have been played back then. Some of the Blaze songs are also not suitable for Bruce's voice (Judgement Of Heaven, 2AM, Unbeliever, When Two Worlds Collide, Educated Fool, Como Estais Amigos).

From TNOTB and POM: they will never play Invaders, Gangland or Quest For Fire because they are not fan favorites. A song like Sun And Steel has a small chance though. To Tame A Land is not played live (again) because of its lyrics - it seems so from Bruce's answer in this interview. Still Life should be played again. The rest of the songs are all fan favorites.

From Powerslave, SIT and SSOASS: they can play any song and the fans will be very happy. Steve is not a big fan of Flash Of The Blade. And it seems they rehearsed Back In The Village back then? Only The Good Die Young is a perfect live song.

^ The same can be said about BNW, although I think they didn't want to play all songs from it live (like SSOASS).

From the other Reunion albums: they could have played any song they wanted on their supporting tours -

DOD: I think Paschendale and the title track (Journeyman too... fully acoustic song) overshadowed the rest of the songs and this was their 2nd album tour after the Reunion, so they wanted to play more of the classics (they still omitted 2 Minutes and Evil That Men Do!).
AMOLAD: they played all of the songs and most of the fans would be happy with most of the songs to return.
TFF: I think because of the 2010 tour they didn't play more songs from it - at least 2 more (Alchemist and/or Mercy, King).
TBOS: 7 out of 11 songs - it was great. And they omitted great live songs like River and Shadows Of The Valley.

From Senjutsu: I think all songs are great for live performances.

The Prophecy - because of the back and forth vocals in the verses.
It's also an insanely difficult song to sing due to how the vocal melody goes (high and what I would describe as kind of hard to grasp) and the numerous key changes.

The Duellists - difficult harmonies for 2 guitars back then?
The vocals in the chorus are pretty ambitious too but yeah, you'd want three guitarists to do this one properly. Also, the simple fact is that it's kind of plodding and long with no good singalong hooks and a long instrumental section. That alone disqualifies it, most of the audience would be getting really tired of it by the 4-minute mark.

The vocals in the chorus are pretty ambitious too but yeah, you'd want three guitarists to do this one properly. Also, the simple fact is that it's kind of plodding and long with no good singalong hooks and a long instrumental section. That alone disqualifies it, most of the audience would be getting really tired of it by the 4-minute mark.

The Parchment?

The Parchment?
Consider that it's 2023, not 1984 where Iron Maiden was still a young band only starting to peak in terms of their popularity in the western sphere. These days I really doubt they care that much. If they did they wouldn't have opened LOTB '22 with three new songs and especially the rather plodding title track.

Back