Software, Hardware & Information Technology

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I don't think we had a thread like this and it could be useful. Plus it's easier to talk about stuff here than in 1m thread :p

I'll start by recommending this program (for Android users at least, but it might exist for iOS too):

Swipe for Facebook

Official FB app eats away at RAM and physical memory like crazy and isn't as customizable as this one. My mom was complaining about lacking memory on her phone the other day, so I replaced the official FB app with Swipe and it freed up like 500 MB.

Can anyone rename this thread to "Software, Hardware, Information Technology", please?

I've been doing some snooping around Windows 11. Completely skipped Windows 8 and 10. I've been using Windows for games and DAW. I've set to convert to open source DAW tools, games problem persists.

It seems like all the pervasive security "features" are actually in the shell. Which is 'explorer.exe'. At the moment it's still possible to make Windows run another shell right after the user logs in. I've tested it now on 2 day old Win11 preview release in a virtual machine.

I do not believe Microsoft is going to try to cheese the basic system of user login that's been around for ages, after all, if you do not run Microsoft Explorer, you do not get any of the 'cool UI features' that new Windows bring.

For us others that do not need glassy desktop connected to the Microsoft Central, looks like old school open source shell replacements like Cairo Desktop might do the trick. Hell I might do even without a shell per se, you can launch straight into your file manager of choice (if it's not Explorer lmao), like Total Commander, and make shortcuts there. Or just some small semantic launcher that gets called up on a shortcut.

This thread is from 2018, though. Yours is the unnecessary thread opening!
I never said it was unnecessary... pointing out one existed and it being from 2018 is irrelevant. no one complains the commentary is from like 1998.

I never said it was unnecessary... pointing out one existed and it being from 2018 is irrelevant. no one complains the commentary is from like 1998.
No, all I meant was you quoted a three year old post saying that you already had a thread for this up, but yours was from 2019 and this was opened a year prior. That’s all.

ve6NFtY.gif

Back