Set list stats (reunion era - 1999 to 2022)

Yup, I would also say Book Of Souls and The Red and the Black are in third place in reunion era epics all thanks to one extensive tour.

Yup, I would also say Book Of Souls and The Red and the Black are in third place in reunion era epics all thanks to one extensive tour.
So, you don't consider "Ghost of the Navigator" as an epic then? Because it was actually played more often (around 130-140).

Yeah, to each their own. I don't consider Ghost of the Navigator as an epic, more like extended rocker. It's not a rocker nor epic, somewhere in between. Out of those songs mentioned here lately (Ghost, Blood Brothers, Red and Black and Book of Souls), I would say Book of Souls fits the most as an big epic. I think this kind of discussion which songs are epic, which are not, have been discussed many times earlier in this forum, but never finally agreed upon.

True it does, but I haven’t seen any bootlegs or set lists to back this up.

The Commentary bootleg listing says that it's on the Montreal 1992 bootleg, but even the sleeve picture, small as it is, seems to say "Tailgunner". So I have serious doubts this ever happened.

There's a good handful of tracks by Maiden that I'd consider "mini-epics" and Ghost of the Navigator is one of them. Along with songs like No More Lies, Fear of the Dark, These Colours Don't Run, Infinite Dreams, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, etc. Songs that have a quiet buildup and are generally in the 7 or less minute range.

Borrowing your thread a bit if you don´t mind, so I thought it would be fun to list when each song has been played last time, if you follow me. May need to lean towards setlist fm or Iron Maiden.com and Commentary or other sources occassionally, some from the top of my head. Note: only taking to account the songs of the remastered studio album releases.

I try to put the exact date or month at least. Thereabouts. You can count on, however, that the year is always correct. Feel free to correct me should you notice a mistake (and thank you for that!), which there probably are bound to be in plural. Sometimes there is just the best known date, but there should be the latest confirmed date. And hope you understand, but I list the songs first which have been released first, and maintaining the same order compared to the original album. So here goes nothing:

October 6th

Iron Maiden
The Prisoner
The Trooper
Caught Somewhere In Time
Wasted Years
Heaven Can Wait
Stranger In A Strange Land
Alexander The Great
Can I Play With Madness?
Fear of the Dark
Writing On The Wall
Days of Future Past
The Time Machine
Death of the Celts
H*ll On Earth

October 27th

The Number of the Beast
Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Revelations
Flight of Icarus
Aces High
Sign of the Cross
The Clansman
Blood Brothers
Senjutsu
Stratego

October 15th

Where Eagles Dare
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Evil That Men Do
The Wicker Man
For The Greater Good of God

July 22nd

Wrathchild
Children of the Damned
Powerslave
If Eternity Should Fail
Speed of Light
The Great Unknown
The Red & The Black
Death or Glory

August 4th

Tears of a Clown

July 5th

Sanctuary
Phantom of the Opera
Moonchild
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

October 2nd

Running Free
The Clairvoyant
Afraid To Shoot Strangers

August 6th

Dance of Death
Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
El Dorado
Coming Home
The Talisman
When the Wild Wind Blows

August 21st

Ghost of the Navigator
Brave New World
Wildest Dreams
No More Lies
These Colours Don´t Run
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeq

June 12th
Paschendale

June 9th
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

April 2nd, 2009
Rime of the Ancient Mariner

June 24th, 2007
Different World

December 23rd

Pilqrim
Longest Day
Out of the Shadows
Lord of Light
The Legacy

September 2nd

Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Another Life
Drifter
Die With Your Boots On

May 29th
Charlotte the Harlot

February 8th, 2004
Lord of the Flies
Rainmaker
Journeyman

August 30th, 2003
22 Acacia Avenue
Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter

March 21st, 2002
The Mercenary
Dream of Mirrors

January 13th, 2001
Fallen Angel
Out of the Silent Planet

October 1st, 1999
Killers
Man On The Edge
Futureal

December 12th

The Angel & The Gambler
Lightning Strikes Twice
When To Worlds Collide

December 2nd
The Educated Fool

April 29th
Don´t Look to the Eyes of a Stranger

April 26th
Fortunes of War

September 7th

The Aftermath
Blood On The World´s Hands

June 30th
The Edge of Darkness

August 28th

Transylvania
Be Quick Or Be Dead
From Here To Eternity

June 5th
Wasting Love

October 22nd

Tailgunner

September 21st

Public Enema Number One
No Prayer For The Dying

April 5th
Holy Smoke
The Assassin
Hooks In You

December 12th, 1988
Still Life
Infinite Dreams

December (18-21)

Sea of Madness

September 10th
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

December 15th, 1984
Losfer Words

December 10th, 1983
To Tame A Land

April 28th, 1982
Total Eclipse

December 23rd

Genghis Khan

November 15th
Innocent Exile
Twilight Zone

October 30th
Purgatory

May 24th
Strange World

Last edited:
I think it partly has to do with the band still recovering from the death of metal in the 90s, and they were still rebuilding their popularity after Bruce and Adrian rejoined. I think it was the mammoth success of Somewhere Back in Time tour that propelled them to do longer tours with more shows.
This is true. The band didn’t have much money to risk doing long tour legs in lower selling markets after the Blaze era. Especially in America. They toured there in 1999 and 2000, even if they pulled a bigger audience than the Blaze era, the shows were not sold out. Not sure how the 2003 dates turned out regarding audience numbers, but they took a The Wall approach doing multiple dates in a few cities during Dance of death tour. The 2005 dates was successful and I also think it was a good move by the band to split the bill by doing Ozzfest then. Also a short 2006 leg in America, but when Somewhere back in time tour was up and going with their own plane, they finally could afford to tour Australia for the first time in 15 years, do bigger shows and longer American legs. All in all a brilliant business move by Rod!

Back