Question about a Bruce lyric (Back From The Edge)

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Hi everyone who reads this. I have a question for you.

What are you ideas when you're reading these 2 lines from the song Back from the Edge?:

Now and then I wonder where the faces from my childhood have gone
Like father like son in your bones it lives on glowing shadows

My own thought is that the writer doesn't realize where his childhood has gone (though what is meant by "faces" of his childhood?), but later assumes it still lives on (inside). But perhaps it is a metaphor or something? And what about those shadows?

How do you interpretate this? Not necessarily in context but also apart, if possible.

I really find these lyrics intruiging and they are probably my favourite Bruce lyrics ever. The weird thing is that I am not 100% sure how to understand them. Since I am doubting about using these 2 lines for a certain purpose, I first want to be sure what they could mean. And I guess English speakers should know this better than me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Forostar

Good question Foro,

My interpretation is that the writer is looking back with a mix of sad and fond memories about people that have passed through his life but are no longer there. The second line implies to me that like generations before him and those yet to come; memories live deep in your soul (bones) with elusive but often joyful clarity.

Perhaps

Thanks Foro, I hate not getting on here but cirrcumstances dictate otherwise a lot right now. I'll hang out for a while though.  :bigsmile:

Back