Poll OVERKILL alert

Forostar said:
I seriously think SMX has this data, because he follows the voting in an excel sheet.

The data I have would not result in an accurate ranking, for most of the songs.

In a Survivor, the only solid ranking is from the Finals round. In other words, the final top ten.

As to the meat of Foro's post: I largely agree. I think there are too many games going on right now. As the Survivor guy, maybe I'm not in a position to criticize. But I will anyway...

valacirca, since you joined here, you've done almost nothing but try to start games. And games are fine, but now it seems you're starting a new game every other day. I strongly suggest that you finish one of your games, such as the "build the perfect album" game, before starting a new one. Foro is right: your new "6 pairs of songs" game is overkill.

I'm with Foro in this one, mostly.  It does not matter to me that much, but the abundance of polls has resulted in me losing interest in all of them, even the ones I followed earlier.  Even if I vote, I'm less inclined to comment on my vote (since there's so many polls to comment on), and I would guess that applies for some other people too.

Forostar said:
I don't see yet how your competition/grouping is constant for all songs. Care to explain (again)? Thanks.
http://forum.maidenfans.com/http://foru ... 28#p271728
SinisterMinisterX said:
valacirca, since you joined here, you've done almost nothing but try to start games. And games are fine, but now it seems you're starting a new game every other day. I strongly suggest that you finish one of your games, such as the "build the perfect album" game, before starting a new one. Foro is right: your new "6 pairs of songs" game is overkill.
As far as I know, posts in the Polls and Spam forum don't increase one's post count. I've been here for around a week and a half and my post count is at 66. I think saying that I've done almost nothing but try to start games is unfair.

To be fair myself though, I'm admittedly a fanatic of games/polls/surveys/lists/statistics, which is why these threads have been started. Some of them didn't work: There was that song-a-day thread I started, which apparently was similar to the daily song thread. Also, there's the "Ranking The Songs" and "Ranking ALL Iron Maiden Songs from Best to Worst" that didn't fly due to low participation. If I had the ability to delete my own threads, I would delete those last two so that they don't clutter up the forum.

Ultimately though, I would obviously have to disagree to the entire point of Foro's post. He called overkill, proceeded to attack my thread, and his logic for comparing my game to BT's was totally faulty and holds no ground.

But since you are a mod, then I have to defer.

Well, I don't think it's entirely that you've done nothing but start games. That's not true. But there's a lot of games going on right now, and people are starting to lose interest.

Perhaps we should end up limiting the amount of games going at any one time?

Forostar said:
Which at the end comes up with a brilliant list of best songs. The ones survived. Same results, different method.

Which is the case of all polls on best of/worst of.  Even a single poll with only a few songs.  The point, as Albie said, is that if people want to vote on the polls, they will, if they don't, they won't.
LooseCannon said:
Well, I don't think it's entirely that you've done nothing but start games. That's not true. But there's a lot of games going on right now, and people are starting to lose interest.

Though this is good advice.  If valacirca's poll does not show a lot of interest, perhaps he should re-start it after some time has passed.  As of right now, I'm participating in his poll, which I think is an excellent idea if many fans participate.

SinisterMinisterX said:
As to the meat of Foro's post: I largely agree. I think there are too many games going on right now. As the Survivor guy, maybe I'm not in a position to criticize. But I will anyway...

Invader said:
I'm with Foro in this one, mostly.  It does not matter to me that much, but the abundance of polls has resulted in me losing interest in all of them, even the ones I followed earlier.  Even if I vote, I'm less inclined to comment on my vote (since there's so many polls to comment on), and I would guess that applies for some other people too.

LooseCannon said:

valacirca said:
I'm agreeable to that.

Thank you guys, that was my point. The valacirca poll was just an example but you got the main message.

Anyway, I think we're all in agreement that we have exactly enough games for now?

LooseCannon said:
Anyway, I think we're all in agreement that we have exactly enough games for now?
IDK... I'm generally used to this kind of chaos and amount of polls/games/surveys :bigsmile: so I really don't mind. At the end of the day, I suppose it's up to the mandate of the mods regarding what is too much for this forum.

That would be me :p I thought it would be fun to try out the mechanics of some games here on that site and vice versa. The poll system here is much more refined though, so the voting is pretty crude there...

Woe to you, oh Vala C
For Forostar sends the mods with locks
Because they know a poster's time is short

Let Mister X, who hath understanding,
reckon the number of the polls
For it is a smaller number

It's number is no more than 66...

Back