Pink Floyd Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7164

Anyone here for some Floyd discussion?

Actually, i was always quite amused with one thing. The number of concert dates on average Floyd tour in Waters era is ~ 40. A bit small for a band that placed live experience above the music itself. On the other hand, in Gilmour era, Momentary Lapse Of Reason Tour was massive (197 shows, thats 4 more than World Slavery Tour!), Division Bell Tour had 110 dates.

Does anyone know of a pro-shot bootleg from Animals (In The Flesh) Tour?
They've played both of my best two Floyd albums song by song (Animals, Wish You Were Here) on that tour, i'd really like some good quality bootleg stuff, but quick search around Youtube revealed nothing.

By the way, they're quite "best" in a lot of categories. However, where they outclass any other band is studio sound and production. From 1971, they've always sounded ten years in the future (except Animals, which has sound rough around the edges intentionally, to fit the story). One Of These Days for example, with synths and guitars running around the stereo scene, sounds like typical early eighties synth rock stuff. On the other hand, The Wall, from earliest eighties, sounds like something from late eighties, especially the guitar sound...

BTW #2, i've listened to Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory today. The guitar solos from Overture 1928 are pretty Gilmourish. Then i realized how much the intro piece, Regression, has in common with "Pigs On The Wing 1". And, in "Fatal Tragedy", the last part is pretty much standard high-speed Maiden. There are DT's influences coming out everywhere. Then i realized i though that it was the most original rock album that i heard, when i heard it first time ten years ago. Now i don't rank it as highly...a lot of stuff over there was "borrowed" from older, influential bands.

That's what i like about Floyd, when you listen to them, you feel cutting edges everywhere. They also have their influences, but they've pioneered so much you can hardly dig some part that resembles something older non-Floyd.

Maybe everything worth pioneering in rock has already been done.

Zare said:
BTW #2, i've listened to Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory today...

And you missed one of DT's most obvious Floyd ripoffs? :bigsmile:

Go listen to "Beyond This Life" at 6:09, the riff which introduces the main solo section.
Direct rip from "Money". A slight change in the chord sequence, but they were going for the "Money" solo section feel.
(Not my opinion, but fact - Dream Theater said it themselves on a DVD commentary.)

In fact, DT have Floyd influence all over their albums. The first few minutes of "Octavarium" (song not album) sound like they could have come from SoYcD.

As to the small number of tour dates in Waters era - they had a huge set, as I recall, and it was probably a logistical nightmare. Floyd was one of the bands who pioneered huge stage sets and sound systems, and it wasn't easy back then. Now there are trucking companies dedicated to touring shows, and I suspect there weren't many (if any) of those back in the mid-70s.

I've noticed it, i just haven't mentioned it  B)
And some parts of that song ("she wanted love forever...but he had another plan") sound like Queen in my ears.

Regarding tours - i agree with you when we talk about Wall and it's huge production. However, other stages weren't as big, especially on Dark Side tour. I'll label that to Waters' personal issues, he's the one that doesn't like to be "massed".

Zare said:
Regarding tours - i agree with you when we talk about Wall and it's huge production. However, other stages weren't as big, especially on Dark Side tour. I'll label that to Waters' personal issues, he's the one that doesn't like to be "massed".
Waters always said he hated touring in big venues and hated being far from home more than say, a few weeks. At least during the 70s. He started touring much more later (during the past 15 years).
Gilmour was the boss in the second half of the 80s and he did like touring (and making big money too) but it's true to say that the technology had improved too...

I'm a huge PF fan and I'd be happy to discuss any aspect of that band.  :bigsmile:

Zare said:
However, other stages weren't as big, especially on Dark Side tour.

I guess I was thinking of the Animals era, with the floating pig and all that.
But Waters wanting to stay home does make more sense as the cause.

I recall when Momentary Lapse came out, I heard a radio interview with Waters, and he was asked what he thought of AMLOR ... his answer: "A brilliant forgery."
Now that's a back-handed compliment if I ever heard one.

Yea Animals had quite large production, and on that tour Waters "realized" the distance between band and fans on big venues. Then came the famous spitting incident, and then came The Wall.

It's very Waters-like to bind the i-ain't-playing-big-concerts issue to some big sociological thing like the story behind the Wall, but IMHO it's probably some very very basic issue like demophobia or something  :D

I'm a huge PF fan and I'd be happy to discuss any aspect of that band.

Here here  :)

So, what to do?

Link you to a Pink Floyd topic full of opinions of various members, or shall I copy-paste my post in this new topic?

My dad's favorite band. I like them alot too.
I remember being really bummed after first reading how much of an asshole Waters was (and is), and how it reflected in the music. Wright's death was also sad.

PF is now one of the bands that, even though I don't really have a history with, makes me feel nostalgic and kinda sad.

I know this has probably been widely discussed online, but not being a massive Floyd fan (in terms of what I've listened to) I've not read about this before. What's the connection, if any, between Turn to Stone (by Joe Walsh) and Floyd's Animals; particularly the track Dogs? The phrase "turn to stone" is immediately reminiscent of the Gilmour sung lyric in Dogs (which was written after Walsh's). The music & guitar section is also quite similar; more so in live versions of Turn to Stone performed by Walsh. Gilmour's only writing credit on Animals is Dogs. Any evidence he was influenced by Walsh?

I was listening to the Crippled Black Phoenix cover of Turn to Stone & they've confusingly also included elements of Animals (they're huge Floyd fans I gather) in their cover of Walsh. It's confusing the fuck out of me.

They've shared the stage before in 2004. I haven't heard of much a connection beyond that. I'm also pretty sure Roger Waters wrote that lyric.

I didn't mean to imply Gilmour wrote the lyric (I said "Gilmour sung lyric"). I was really meaning the influence on Gilmour's guitar playing & the influence on the Floyd music generally on that album.

Have you heard the Walsh track?

Back