Paschendale -Blake

____no5

Free Man
in the 1791's edition of Blake's "songs of experience" we can find the below additional poem :

A DIVINE IMAGE

Cruelty has a Human Heart,
And Jealousy a Human Face ;
Terror the Human Form Divine,
And Secrecy the Human Dress.

The Human Dress is forged Iron,
The Human Form a fiery Forge,
The Human Face a Furnace seal'd,
The Human Heart its hungry Gorge.

Was it not 1974?

Anyway, this just shows once again that Adrian is a fan of the poet.  It's a great line but did it really need a thread of it's own?

Conor said:
It's a great line but did it really need a thread of it's own?

I think yes.
the tread of paschendale is more about the battle, and the more recent post in Poetry is mine, so.......

'Cruelty has a human heart
And jealousy a human face -              And every man must play his part
Terror the human form divine-            Terror of the men we kill

The human heart its hungry gorge-      The human heart is hungry still

I like how Bruce(Chemical wedding), and with 'Paschendale' Adrian too chose to revive some meaningful lyrics . Interesting how they fit well with metal.

Urizen said:
I like how Bruce(Chemical wedding), and with 'Paschendale' Adrian too chose to revive some meaningful lyrics . Interesting how they fit well with metal.

I think there more extracts I'll find 'em (I have the Blake's complete works ;))

and even if I don't like at all the way Steve is writing (lyrics, in after 80's eras) I have to recognize that it was he the pioneer (in the subject poesy -metal) with his Rime.....

....I can't think of any example before '84 of a metal song bringing some classic poems to the fans, so if anyone of you knows something, please let me know

but even if it exists an older  song, I think yet he deserves our praises because he brought this mode to a large basis (considering the popularity of Maiden in 1984-85) 

As a conclusion I would say that I forgive him and I'll allways forgive his bad lyrics for his great action to write a song (....and what a song !!) about a so important and beautiful British poem

Back