Opening nominations for the GREATEST METAL SONG CUP - Submissions due July 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you banned Whitesnake though it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
I was listening to "Still of the Night" on the radio today and I do think it's a strong song that could be a contender (although I won't include it in my own list). Beyond that song... yeah. No loss.

Yeah, I'm hopeful to get quite a few lists. Around 10 right now.

There were 35 for the GMAC, I wonder if we can get close to that.
I've come up with a list of like... 50 that I have to cut down now. Will take some time but I'll have it in before the due date!

I vowed, 1 band - 1 song.
Which made my list 50% safe and the other 50% pretty weird.
I tried to avoid most famous songs and try to add my favorites, but they still ended in top 10 of the band's hits.
Those 50% weird ones were the first that came to my mind, I just wanted to reach number 25.
Oh, and anybody taking Rush, Floyd etc. road gets negative internet points from me.

The obvious lack of metal or even hard rock. Rush rock a bit harder but I don't think they were suitable for the game either. That's why I agree with Spambot that we hopefully won't be seeing those bands this time around. I'll be happy to vote for Rush in a rock themed game though.

Metal archives is a bad source, but the broad sources used in GMAC inevitably will result in some weird additions while offsetting sites with weird biases (MA) so it's a net positive. Of the near 600 albums that were included in the original game, only a small handful were unequivocally not metal so I'm not sure what the problem is there. Some non-Metal songs will inevitably appear in the game because of the methodology of selecting songs, they probably won't last long.

It would probably be difficult to implement but in theory: how about the nominator can add a short description (up to a few sentences) about why a nominated song is noteworthy and deserves to be in the competition? Let’s say I nominate a song that probably nobody besides myself knows, so I shortly explain the special qualities of said song so it wouldn’t get disregarded inmediately against a well-known song. Again, I don’t realistically see this being implemented, just food for thought.

I don't know, I only had only two criteria for my songs: They need to be metal and sound really fucking good to my ears. I would have hard time explaining why a random deep cut from a popular artist needs to be in the game, other than being my favorite song from the said artist.

I hope so, I discovered this thread just now and I won't be able to send mine no earlier than tomorrow.

I have no idea how I'm going to get Judas Priest and Opeth down to three songs each.

I was actually toying with the idea of counting Rhapsody and Luca Turilli solo as separate bands, but I've decided to adhere to Loosey's rules in spirit, not just in text, so it's three songs at most for both.

Picking three Opeth songs will be easy (I keep updating my personal top 10 all the time - I'll pick the first three and that's that) and JP songs even easier - there won't be any :D (sorry!)

I'm kinda afraid there will be some recency bias, because my tastes have shifted quite severly over time, so I might pick way too many power metal songs, for example, but in the end I'm definitely picking stuff that I actually like and enjoy, not just stuff that should be there (although I'm probably going to nominate Achilles Last Stand, because I'm afraid no-one else might - when we had the metal album cup, no-one nominated Borknagar's Winter Thrice - not even @Magnus ! - and I'm not even a super fan, but it should have been included).

I was actually toying with the idea of counting Rhapsody and Luca Turilli solo as separate bands, but I've decided to adhere to Loosey's rules in spirit, not just in text, so it's three songs at most for both.
I was thinking of doing much the same for Devin Townsend, and I ended up coming to the same conclusion. Band, Project, self-titled work... it's all the same in the end.

personal top 10
This should be interesting. I deliberately avoid keeping lists, in part because making them would require a lot of time that I'd rather just spend listening to music. Maybe I'll use a preference revealer.

recency bias
Recency bias is going to happen, of course — we all change over time.

Going through my music in preparation for this is making me realise just how many songs I like because they have cool parts, rather than them being special as a whole.

Holy schmoley, this is becoming even harder than I expected. I find it rather in bad taste to pick all three songs by any given band from a single album and even then I cannot pick sometimes. I'm really close to picking only one song by each band. It's weird, but it feels more manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back