NWOBHM Week on Maidenfans (Sep 28 - Oct 3, 2009)

Who shall we discuss next week?

• Children Of Bodom (Perun)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Alice Cooper (LC)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Classical/rock hybrids (Onhell)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
It's NWOBHM Week on Maidenfans! Don't forget to take special note of Saxon, the band originally nominated. Also, let's try to avoid talking too much Maiden ... it's a Maiden forum, and the idea here is to talk about different music.

Here's my take on Saxon: while their music is enjoyable - there's nothing bad about it - it's also mediocre. I've never heard a Saxon song which made me want to hear it again.

I'd put the first 2 Def Leppard albums in the NWOBHM, though they were already moving towards pop on that 2nd album. Those albums I know pretty well, and I love them both.

I'm listening to the Angel Witch album now. This album always rocks.

Do people think Judas Priest belonged to the NWOBHM around 1980? Was British Steel a NWOBHM album? I see that the Wikipedia article on NWOBHM does not talk about Priest.

I must admit I haven't been digging to deeply into the genre, I've mostly heard the big bands. Therefore I'll use NWOBHM Week as an excuse to listen to bands I've not listened much to before  :)

That's a good question. I just noticed Maiden is probably the only NWOBHM band I own... :( Never got into Priest for whatever reason.

Eddies Wingman said:
Do people think Judas Priest belonged to the NWOBHM around 1980? Was British Steel a NWOBHM album? I see that the Wikipedia article on NWOBHM does not talk about Priest.

I must admit I haven't been digging to deeply into the genre, I've mostly heard the big bands. Therefore I'll use NWOBHM Week as an excuse to listen to bands I've not listened much to before  :)

Hmm, I guess not. They belong to the "old garde".

Yes, Foro is right, they were already around for a bit by then. They influenced the NWOBHM, and were perhaps also influenced by the NWOBHM a bit, but I think they stand separately.

Another pre-NWOBHM commonly mislabeled as such: Motorhead.

I was trying to sort this out in my head, so I did the wiki (yeah, I know)-- they list bands such as Samson, Urchin, Girlschool, and Tygers of Pan Tang (among others)-- do those bands seem more correct?

Yeah, that's more like it. I have a Samson album and I recall liking it, and I've heard a bit of Girlschool on Sirius. Good stuff.

Yeah, I've heard a little Girlschool myself, and I thought it was pretty good; I'll have to find some specific songs.  IIRC, the Motorhead 'best of' that I have has a Girlschool song on it.  I've always wanted to find some Samson songs, but have never been able to find an album.

As to Def Leppard, I think I recall Albie saying that their debut album may have been one of the best debut albums ever...  I loved it, and the second one as well.  And, yes, they did seem to go a poppy way after that.

SinisterMinisterX said:
They influenced the NWOBHM, and were perhaps also influenced by the NWOBHM a bit, but I think they stand separately.

Yeah that's right, it's obvious in British Steel.

My best bands of the wave apart Maiden are : Samson, White Spirit, and the giants of Diamond Head
After come Saxon, Angelwitch, Def Leppard & Girlschool

Wasted CLV said:
As to Def Leppard, I think I recall Albie saying that their debut album may have been one of the best debut albums ever... 
Def Leppards first album is superb. It's ranks as one of the best of that era - after that, the Leps went all poppy (though I did have a liking for Hysteria).

Venom were possibly one of the best bands of NWOBHM and their first two albums are classics - and Primeval is worth a listen as well.

Diamond Head was another and had possibly some of the most anthemic songs of that era.

And no, Priest and Motorhead, as SMX said, should never be tagged as NWOBHM. Both bands were well established by that time.

Forostar said:
Someone oughta drag Perun to this topic. I guess he's a huge fan of this wave.

He is.

Your first stop for the NWoBHM if you want to pass Maiden and Def Leppard is, of course, Saxon. Some note should be taken that they were extremely early warriors and released their first (usually disregarded) album in 1979. If you want no-frills, down-to-earth, greasy and completely conservative heavy metal, look no further. Here is a band that dished out four albums that are basically "greatest hits" collections early in their career before descending into repetition, and eventually self-parody. They're still good to see live, but it's kind of like the old attic you haven't gone in to in twenty years- it desperately needs a wind of fresh air.

Of course, the four albums I am talking about are Strong Arm of the Law, Wheels of Steel, Denim and Leather and Power and the Glory, although Crusader also deserves some mention, if only for the amazing title track.

Most other NWoBHM bands suffer(ed) from the same symptoms as Saxon did: They released all-defining metal classics early in their career and then descended into obscurity, because they could never top their first efforts.

The most notable of these is Angel Witch. Their debut (1980) is one of the most enduring heavy metal albums of all time, and in fact one of the most heavily rotated albums in my collection. I think that everybody should know, own and love this. It set impulses that young bands fed on even a decade later, and clearly left its mark in nearly every sub-genre of metal, including black and death metal. An absolutely essential classic, hands down.

One of my favourite NWoBHM bands is Demon. They were much more melodic than Maiden were in the day, obviously feeding much more from 70's hard rock than punk. Still, compared to their peers, they were among the most energetic, catchy and have a much more 80's feel than many other bands. Check out their first two albums, Night of the Demon and The Unexpected Guest. Don't Break the Circle off the latter was covered by Blind Guardian in 1989.

Next, I would like to mention Holocaust. The name already suggests that they had a much darker, heavier and more evil approach than their contemporaries. They are mostly remembered for their hit, Heavy Metal Mania (later covered by Gamma Ray), a minor metal classic. The album it is off, The Nightcomers is another amazingly enduring however uncomfortable one, and requires a few listens to get into.

More should be something of a household name to Maiden fans, because their debut album, Warhead (1981) featured the vocals of Paul Mario Day. The second album was a bit of a let-down, but the debut is as strong as ever, and I have a particular liking to the track Way of the World.

White Spirit is equally crucial to Maiden fans, because they were the first band Janick Gers was ever in. They only ever released one album in 1980, but that is a really brilliant one. Midnight Chaser should sound familiar to all of you for some reason, and Fool for Gods is something like a bastard love child of a very drunk Pink Floyd and a very hungover Black Sabbath.

Samson is yet another essential band for Maiden fans, and this time, I guess we all know why. Brucie wasn't at all professional yet, but still sounds good. However, the rest of the musicians are the real stars. Thunderburst from 1980's Head On album should also sound very familiar to all of you.

The Tygers of Pan Tang had something of a superstar status and at least in Germany, their early albums are easy to find at record fairs. I never really got into them, but that may change.

Who's next, who's next... let's say... Diamond Head. Contrary to popular belief, Metallica did not only cover Am I Evil?. Don't believe me? Then listen to Sucking my Love and tell me if the riff starting at ca. 00:50 doesn't sound kind of familiar to you... Of course, Diamond Head are also essential listening, especially their debut, Lightning to the Nations.

Girlschool is sort of the female version of Motörhead, and I'd guess Lemmy went over all the band members several times. Other than that, they were/are just some girls who want to have fun, and it shows... but they are also expert musicians. Again, the first two albums, Demolition and Hit and Run are crucial, the rest is for fans.

I'm now going to dig a bit deeper and present to you Savage. This is the point where you leave well-produced, catchy and clean recordings and enter the real underground. Savage were a big influence on Metallica though, and their debut, Loose 'n' Lethal (1983) is another essential, despite being rough, edgy and uncomfortably produced.

Satan is more of the same, although much heavier and much deeper (also a tad better produced). Their debut Court in the Act (1983) is a very daring album, if I may say so.

Tank is everything the name implies. They have the subtlety of a big armoured vehicle running into a concrete wall at full speed and the sophistication of a stranded whale. However, not only their song titles (Who Needs Love Songs?, (She Fell in Love with a) Stormtrooper) are something to behold, and the intro to what is perhaps their best release, Filth Hounds of Hades (1982) always puts a broad grin on my face.

Quartz is one of those bands that never had the stars aligned the right way. They had the best possible conditions for their start: An early debut, a producer named Tony Iommi, and even a guest guitar solo by Brian May! But they never made it big, despite being a great band, and so perhaps their greatest legacy is the bassline of Mainline Rider, which was, with a few changes, used on Black Sabbath's immortal anthem, Heaven and Hell.

I'll just drop a few more names here for now and write more about them later on (some obscure, some well-known): A-II-Z, Blitzkrieg, Urchin, Persian Risk, Witchfynde, Raven, Tytan, Lone Wolf, Praying Mantis, Gaskin, Jaguar, Tokyo Blade, Sweet Savage, Venom, Sledgehammer, Cloven Hoof, Grim Reaper and then some. To be honest, I need to revisit a few to refresh myself on them... but that sounds like a good mission for this week.

Of the bands Perun listed, I only listened to Diamond Head and Blitzkrieg.  Both curiousities were due to my love of Metallica.  I enjoyed both bands and will listen to them again. 

Uh so yeah out of all those I've listened to Saxon.

I'll admit that their earlier albums and actually most of their albums don't do it for me. Far too repetitious and a little too ACDC/Motorhead/stereotypical for me, although on some of their better early songs I detect some of that Maiden sound that might be common to most NWOBHM bands. The songs I'm talking about are: Crusader, Princess of the Night, Judgement Day, and Battle Cry.

However, the more recent we get, the better Saxon gets (imo). Lionheart is a great album, Dogs of War has some great stuff (most notably The Great White Buffalo), Metalhead also, and then their latest releases, The Inner Sanctum (Attila the Hun!) and Into the Labyrinth. Admittedly none of their albums stand out as strong overall efforts (there's usually a song on there that kills it).

I really have to check out more bands of this era, thanks Perun for the list!

Like Per and no_5 I recommend White Spirit very, very much! Please check out the Janick topic on this forum for more info. (don't miss some classic thousand_suns posts!)

If you don't want to read that whole topic -> Here the best song Janick has ever played on (perhaps even Maiden included): Awesome, epic stuff. Great melodies, lyrics and emotion:

Fool For The Gods (1980)

Absolutely check it out if you haven't done that before!

Albie said:
And no, Priest and Motorhead, as SMX said, should never be tagged as NWOBHM. Both bands were well established by that time.

I wasn't suggesting that Priest was a NWOBHM band as such, I know they were big well before 1979, I just wondered whether the albums they produced during these years (1979-81?) were generally considered to be NWOBHM albums? From your replies I guess the answer is no.

Perun: Thanks for the input, I'll check out some of this stuff!

A couple of general thoughts.

The way it is always presented in the media suggests that NWoBHM is a genre, like Bay Area Thrash or Gothenburg Death Metal. It's not. It's an era. It's a term that was coined to lump all the new, small heavy metal bands that appeared in the UK in the late seventies and early eighties together. Consequently, the stylistic variation between individual NWoBHM bands is very, very wide, and they sound very, very different. Although you could argue that there is such a thing as a "typical" NWoBHM sound - a more or less radical blending of 70's hard rock and punk - most bands had their individual approach to it. It is only called NWoBHM - or sometimes "traditional heavy metal" - because the sub-genres we know today did not exist back then. Many bands played early versions of what we would now call "thrash", "death", "power", "progressive" or "black" metal. Some were much more radical and provocative than others. However, most bands allowed themselves to experiment much more, and did not think of sticking a label to their music as is done now, so calling them by modern genres is anachronistic and wrong.
What I mean to say, however, is that if you don't like Blitzkrieg, that doesn't mean you wouldn't like Demon. Most people who told me they don't like NWoBHM ended up not actually knowing what NWoBHM means.

SinisterMinisterX said:
It's NWOBHM Week on Maidenfans! Don't forget to take special note of Saxon, the band originally nominated. Also, let's try to avoid talking too much Maiden ... it's a Maiden forum, and the idea here is to talk about different music.

Here's my take on Saxon: while their music is enjoyable - there's nothing bad about it - it's also mediocre. I've never heard a Saxon song which made me want to hear it again.
I strongly suggest you listen to their more recent material. I think they make better albums/songs now than in the 80's.

Suggested records: Lionheart and The Inner Sanctum

Atilla the Hun (amazing song) from The Inner Sanctum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cCJ8_F5VCI

Nat: Looks like we're on the same page here.  :D

Perun said:
Quartz is one of those bands that never had the stars aligned the right way. They had the best possible conditions for their start: An early debut, a producer named Tony Iommi, and even a guest guitar solo by Brian May! But they never made it big, despite being a great band, and so perhaps their greatest legacy is the bassline of Mainline Rider, which was, with a few changes, used on Black Sabbath's immortal anthem, Heaven and Hell.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if strictly speaking we could considered Quartz as NWOBHM... I remember having purchased  their debut
album (unfortunately my brother sold it when I left house, along with other very rare vinyls), an item ultra rare
-and it was really nice album!!! And yes, I remember it being produced by Tommy Iommi but:

1) The album was dated (without remembering exact date) well before 1979 /80.
2) The sound was not what someone could call typical NWOBHM. Now, I know there is no clear definition of what
was this sound, but I would say that this group was sounded too young to be old school (Sabbath, Priest)
and too old to be NWOBHM

My 2 cents...

Okay, Quartz may be a bit borderline, but there is no clear distinction. Maiden started out in 1975, just about the same time as Quartz did- the only difference is that Quartz got a record deal earlier. I always saw them as pioneers of the wave.

Back