NOW WATCHING

My current watches are/have been:

X-Men '97 - obviously, it's a cartoon specifically designed to evoke my personal sense of nostalgia, but overall it's been a mostly fun set of comic adaptations that moves mostly too fast. However, it still has the bangin' theme song, so does it really matter what comes after? If you liked the original 90s X-Men tv series, this one is that, but done far better.

Fallout - I was very much concerned going into the series that the showrunners wouldn't understand the show. But I was really wrong to have that concern. Frankly, the showrunners nailed it, and I'm thrilled with the show. A hell of a ride, start to finish, that slots mostly neatly within the game canon, answers some outstanding questions, and drives the story forward. Atop that, it's confusing conservatives who thought that it'd be a standard dystopian action show but have found it to be so explicitly anti-capitalist that even they can't ignore the message.

Shogun - possibly the best tv show of the year so far. Incredible acting, beautiful, filled with hard historical work that sets a perfect stage and tells the tale of medieval Japan at the end of the Sengoku period, although with fictionalized characters. You have to read a lot in this, unless you speak Japanese, but it's worth it. Even my roommate, who is not at all into this stuff, has thoroughly enjoyed the show.

s-l600.jpg

Watching through this again for the first time in about 10 years. Still great from the very beginning.
I remember getting tired of this show like around season 3. I usually get tired of procedurals once the gimmick wears thin. I also started watching it from the start recently (funny enough I'm on season 3), and now I'm just enjoying pointing out how ridiculous the whole thing is. They address hospital budgets occasionally, but only mentioned having "expensive tests" once so far. They tended to a homeless woman without once asking or wondering about insurance. So at the end of the day it's just a show to be enjoyed for it's pure fantasy. Also... since when do doctors break into patients' homes looking for "clues?" So yeah, I'm loving the ridiculousness of it all.
Fallout - I was very much concerned going into the series that the showrunners wouldn't understand the show. But I was really wrong to have that concern. Frankly, the showrunners nailed it, and I'm thrilled with the show. A hell of a ride, start to finish, that slots mostly neatly within the game canon, answers some outstanding questions, and drives the story forward. Atop that, it's confusing conservatives who thought that it'd be a standard dystopian action show but have found it to be so explicitly anti-capitalist that even they can't ignore the message.

I liked it too. Don't know if they "nailed it." Really don't like the "arm jets" on the power armor, but that's more of a nitpick. But I love Lucy (call back intended) along with the other two protagonists, Maximus and Cooper. REAAAALLY don't like that they gave him the last name Howard, takes me out every time thinking Todd is THAT full of himself to have a character named after him. Everything else was good. Can't wait for season 2.

So at the end of the day it's just a show to be enjoyed for it's pure fantasy. Also... since when do doctors break into patients' homes looking for "clues?" So yeah, I'm loving the ridiculousness of it all.
Yep, it's asshole genius logical absolutist power fantasy in a lab coat, though they try to keep the medical details a little closer to reality. House and Wilson are extreme versions of Holmes and Watson, with some very explicit nods to those references, and they're solving a "whatdunnit" instead of a "whodunnit", with some horror movie tropes thrown in for good measure. Lots of great dry humor, too. It's an interesting stew.

Kvlt stuff from my childhood and from behind the Iron Curtain.
Subtitles (NOT part of the original!) are occasionally, and unintentionally, hilarious
e.g. getting boatswain right most of the time but occasionally coming up with "bootlegger"; "юнга/yunga" being eunuch once instead of cabin boy, and Milanese Scala becoming Milanese Rock just because both are скала in Bulgarian (different syllables stressed though)
Not bad at all for an Eastern Bloc country well before perestroika I think.

Subtitles (NOT part of the original!) are occasionally, and unintentionally, hilarious
e.g. getting boatswain right most of the time but occasionally coming up with "bootlegger"; "юнга/yunga" being eunuch once instead of cabin boy, and Milanese Scala becoming Milanese Rock just because both are скала in Bulgarian (different syllables stressed though)

Oh man, that reminds me of this vid I watched on youtube a year ago or so:

Also, youtube has a bunch of old soviet animation which is incredible.

This one was also nice :

I watched it when I was a kid. And it was soviet equivalent of Coyote and Road Runner. Not as funny as the US cartoon, but it's OK. :)

I liked it too. Don't know if they "nailed it." Really don't like the "arm jets" on the power armor, but that's more of a nitpick. But I love Lucy (call back intended) along with the other two protagonists, Maximus and Cooper. REAAAALLY don't like that they gave him the last name Howard, takes me out every time thinking Todd is THAT full of himself to have a character named after him. Everything else was good. Can't wait for season 2.
I do doubt Todd Howard was that involved, but you never know with that asswipe.

Back