New Commentary Format

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
What's up with the new commentary format, Mav? It looks good, but why did you drop the ratings? But I do like the main page for the albums with all the sides...

I'll make you ratings so you can post them! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Otherwise the new formats are great.

The changes in the layout aren't so drastic. I merely re-work the pages to give them a unified look. I think that this homogeneity between the various pages and sections is already an improvement.

Besides, the html code and the folders themselves were in a bit bit of a mess that I'm trying to clean up. As I'll have a proper French translator (and hopefully news from the German one too), I need to make the code as clear as possible for when they'll work directly on the pages. I like things that are ordered and tidy [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

As for the rating, I simply found it too subjective. Many people disagreed with it and I myself wasn't happy with it at times. Depending on my mood, I'm going like a song more or less and you'll all agree that this is not an "accurate" way to rate the songs.

Last, but not least, you'll have noticed that I have modified some commentaries (essentially in the "Singles" section for the moment) and that I even wrote new commentaries where there was a "Commentary coming soon..." before. [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, the ratings were my only thought...I mean, the rest of it looks good. I just remember when I was a new Maidenfan and I used the ratings as a guide towards what to get into first. I mean, it really helped as for what albums to go after first.

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Feb 21 2004, 06:46 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Feb 21 2004, 06:46 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] If possible you could have a system so the fans rate the songs out of ten and you then use an average from that. [/quote]
[!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Great idea!!!

I agree the rating system was good for newbies (myself included) and the 1-10 rating system is a good idea. I also noticed certain commentaries were considerably shorter than the originals, what happened there? As far as the Uniformity goes, it is good for the asthetics of the page.

One thing I could do: set up a new forum only for song ratings and short commentaries. Everyone would get a chance to rate a song and leave his/her impression of why they like/dislike a particular song.

That'd be a lot of work though! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Just check out my test-thread called "Iron Maiden". I was thinking of having a poll for each song.

Back