Nelson Mandela

Natalie

Insect of Terror
Staff member
We don't have an official 'South African politics' thread or 'International politics' thread...so here's a thread dedicated to this icon that shaped a generation (or 3) and will go down in history as probably one of the most influential people ever. It would be good to take a moment to reflect on what he worked against and what the situation looks like today especially given how nationalistic white supremacy political parties are gaining in popularity in Europe. May he truly rest in peace and let his life be an inspiration to the rest of us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25249520

Wow, I wasn't aware of this news yet. Never do I forget the day his release from prison was discussed in history class. Nor his arrival in Amsterdam, multicultural city, 4 months later. He had quite a special bond with Holland.
(greets 15.000 people in Amsterdam at mark 1:00)
9 years later he got a honorary doctorate from Leiden University, which was special because that university rarely gives such honours (as opposed to many other universities in the world). The previous two were given to Queen Wilhelmina and Churchill.

He also has been the biggest inspiration for my favourite footballer (my favourite for many years at least), Ruud Gullit. In 1987, Gullit dedicated his Golden Ball to Mandela, who was of course still in prison. 7 years later he could give him the award personally.
Rest in piece, Mandela.

Last edited:
For the last five minutes, I have been trying to come up with something fitting to say, but I couldn't. And who am I to do so anyway? Frankly, when the moment comes, would anyone of us have the spine and the guts to face a lifetime in prison because we refuse to accept what is wrong?

Words are pointless now.

But i'm seeing South Africans chanting together, not crying. That is the best example that Mandela still is very much alive.

On the BBC last night the Scottish news pretty much managed to claim that Scotland was responsible for him being freed from prison. I did learn that he was influential in helping bring Abdul Ali Baset Al-Megrahi to trial for the Lockerbie bombing though.

And thus passed one of the great figures of our age. It is not that there may never be another Nelson Mandela...but I hope, fervently, that his type is not needed in South Africa again.

For the last five minutes, I have been trying to come up with something fitting to say, but I couldn't. And who am I to do so anyway? Frankly, when the moment comes, would anyone of us have the spine and the guts to face a lifetime in prison because we refuse to accept what is wrong?

Martin Luther King Jr didn't spend life in prison, but he was willing to be jailed for what he believed in, Ghandi was willing to go hungry, he is definitely in select company... RIP

Back