Mav's Comentary

Mosh

PM me your Nightwish album rankings!
Staff member
I just wanted to say that by reading Mav's commentary I get the feeling that he didn't like the album much. Not because it is a bit hollow (I get that) but just the tone of the commentary. Especially the introduction. Am I reading things wrong or am I right in thinking he didn't like this one?

Re: You Know Who's Comentary

If you're talking about The Final Frontier, you're right. He didn't like it all that much when I first talked to him about it. He said it was good, but barely original and far from being their best. He seemed to be more into it when I talked to him a while after he posted the commentary, though.

I had heard the same; of course, I spoke to him last when he was in a rush to get the IMC stuff up when he was asking for permission to use my writing.

Yes it was TFF. Sorry. from reading the site update he seemed to be annoyed at people asking him when it would be done.

LooseCannon said:
He always is.
oh. It seemed more obvious with this one. Is this the first time he put up a commentary as hollow as this one? It seems like he will eventually go back and expand it. Did he do that with others?

You should have seen the Commentary when he first took it over. Yes, he will eventually expand it, if he wants. He's a busy guy, after all.

And I won't take it personally that you consider it shallow ;)

LooseCannon said:
You should have seen the Commentary when he first took it over. Yes, he will eventually expand it, if he wants. He's a busy guy, after all.

And I won't take it personally that you consider it shallow ;)
If you're referring to your El Dorado and Starblind pieces I thought they were excellent. Especially the latter. I was referring to songs such as Isle of Avalon.

I was. And my Starblind piece needs some tweaking, I've made some changes to how I think about the song, primarily the beginning verses, which originally I struggled with but came clear a few weeks ago.

I think my El Dorado one was one of the better reviews I've written. I have a half-finished IOA one somewhere.

The Knife Master said:
Is this the first time he put up a commentary as hollow as this one? It seems like he will eventually go back and expand it. Did he do that with others?

hehe ... you should have seen the original AMOLAD commentary.

LooseCannon said:
I was. And my Starblind piece needs some tweaking, I've made some changes to how I think about the song, primarily the beginning verses, which originally I struggled with but came clear a few weeks ago.

I think my El Dorado one was one of the better reviews I've written. I have a half-finished IOA one somewhere.

I need to rework my Final Frontier review at some point, there's still a few bits which seem half-finished looking back. And if I ever find the time, I would like to do similar reviews for all of the albums.

Forostar said:
I wonder if any of you still remembers the General album ratings topic. I always used that one for every album.

I do, given how I opened the thread. However, it is more about rating the albums, whereas I was thinking more about writing about the thoughts that come to my head during an involved listening of them without any absolute or comparative rating. Anyway, that's just one thing I'd like to do, but seeing how I have about a jillion tasks ahead of me, don't hold your breath.

I never used it for rating to be honest, but I understand what you mean. I use it to sum up all the things that come to mind when I want to describe my "bond" with it. Unfortunately the thread is quite dead, but I am planning to revive it as soon as LC leads us into VXI.

As much as I like Perun's and LC's writing, I actually didn't like Maverick's laziness and inserting PERSONAL opinions into a commentary that for the most part has stayed as objective as possible, SPECIALLY Starblind. I do hope he fixes it at some point.

As for other commentaries like this, AMOLAD has already been mentioned, but I think the initial Final Frontier one was also extremely biased.

I can assure you that Mav wasn't lazy, he was simply too busy to write a proper commentary. He told me he will get down to it eventually, but he simply can't find the time right now.

Back