Materials That Inspired Maiden

This thread has been started as a way of listing for quick reference and discussing the books/novels, movies, etc that Maiden have written songs off of loosely. So please tell me what you've watched/read that Maiden has credited for their songs and what you thought.

I've read 7th Son of a 7th Son, Red Prophet(not a Maiden song, I know), and Stranger in a Strange Land(I know the song is not based off it). I also just watched The Name of the Rose.

I want to see The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and The Wicker Man, but I guess they're rare around here. Are they worth a watch?

Two books which I'm sure I need to read are Lord of the Flies and Brave New World.

Please suggest which avenues of inspiration I should pursue first.

Check out the Commentary. All the sources of inspiration are there and most eTexts of the books are also available.

TheWickedChild said:
This thread has been started as a way of listing for quick reference and discussing the books/novels, movies, etc that Maiden have written songs off of loosely. So please tell me what you've watched/read that Maiden has credited for their songs and what you thought.

I've read 7th Son of a 7th Son, Red Prophet(not a Maiden song, I know), and Stranger in a Strange Land(I know the song is not based off it). I also just watched The Name of the Rose.

I want to see The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and The Wicker Man, but I guess they're rare around here. Are they worth a watch?

Two books which I'm sure I need to read are Lord of the Flies and Brave New World.

Please suggest which avenues of inspiration I should pursue first.

I am nowadays working on a doctoral dissertation right on this topic (Universitat de València, Spain), and well ... some of the references I'm handling are, apart from those you mention, Tennyson, William Blake, Edgar Allan Poe, John Milton, Gaston Leroux, Coleridge, Gilbert Keith Chesterton, Franz Herbert, and a list of about 20 different authors.

The final conclussion is relatively secret, but as soon as I finish writing it, get my degree, and an authorisation by the band to "air" this topic, I will provide further information. But as a hint, I will tell you that the REAL concept of "Satanic" seems to be around

Back