Libya in new hands

It would have been nice to capture him (most likely execute him after a trial),etc.  But It is not all that surprising that after ruling the country with an iron fist for so many years, killing, imprisoning, torturing, and living in opulance courtesy of the state coffers that he would run into some people that would want to treat him in the same manner as he treated so many others.

What Natalie said in her drive-by post. And what bearfan said. I'm against capital punishment in all situations, I really am. But it is unsurprising that the man was killed. That doesn't make it sad. He was a bad man.

We hope now that Libya rebuilds. And NATO can turn its attention to those in the region that haven't learned from Libya's example - like Syria or Yemen.

Let me just point out that under Gaddafi all Libyans had access to free healthcare, free education (including free university education), cheap housing and cheap fuel. It has the highest literacy rate in all of Africa (82%).

I wonder: a) how many NATO-oriented countries have access to at least one the four above; b) how long will it take for the people to lose some or all of the above. So, yeah, maybe he was a violent guy who raped women. He came to power in a (bloodless) coup d'etat. His people later killed dissenters, yeah. (I wonder what's going on in America's "most favored nation" of China.) But Gaddafi's people mostly led decent lives. And I fear that is going to change very much because the country has been thrown in chaos. I'm sad for the people who lost their homes and whose lives are going to change dramatically.

Ranko said:
Let me just point out that under Gaddafi all Libyans had access to free healthcare, free education (including free university education), cheap housing and cheap fuel. It has the highest literacy rate in all of Africa (82%).....

Under Hitler the German industry grew, the Autoban and VW came into being. Under Mussolini the trains ran on time. Under Franco Spain was one of the cleanest, safest countries, Under Porfirio Diaz Mexico modernized and laid more train track rails than they did in the 100 years after his dictatorship.... So... as Bearfan said.

Back