1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's try and get 100,000 replies to this post

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Ancient Mariner, Apr 30, 2002.

1. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Addendum general relativity, I forgot to mention string theory. Quantum mechanics contradicts general relativity, so there's string theory. Everything vibrates... that seems to be the solution.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Travis The Dragon

Travis The Dragon The dreamers may die, but the dreams live on.

Jon is here! Hopefully he'll set it up so new members have to make 5 posts before starting a new thread to help with the spam problem.

3. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Keep in mind that general relativity works, special relativity works, and quantum mechanics works. To make the matters more cynical towards Einstein, a light bulb whose light he used while working on his theories is indeed "spooky action at a distance", because it allows transfer of energy states without moving any mass at a speed of light.

4. jazz from hell

But relativity only works as a model of macro-cosm, and quantum mechanics only works as a model in micro-cosm. The two models contradict each other. That's why -- as of today -- string theory is the shit, because it tries to bring those two together.

How is it that light has no mass but still can't escape black holes?

5. Zare

Because it's not pulled directly by gravity, it's the extreme concentration of energy in that system resulting in distorted fabric of space. The road is curved, photon doesn't 'feel' like it's being pulled anywhere.
    Here is a simple visualization

[​IMG]

The white circles denote gravity force, that acts on mass. Blue circle is event horizon, a border of space-time distortion caused by huge concentration of energy in the hole. The photon going straight in between these space boats would just go straight ahead through the event horizon, sort of falling in a hole and interact with whatever is to be interacted with there, never bouncing off anything to illuminate poor boats, traveling on millions of years to a distant telescope.

Read this to get a broader understanding on what photons really are

http://quasars.org/photon.txt

6. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

I see @Yax has poked his head in. I wonder which handsome devil suggested he check things out.

7. Yax

Yax Ancient Mariner

Can't miss the 100 000th reply! :D

Travis The Dragon likes this.
  8. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Does anyone here have an idea on what they would post if they had a chance to be the 100.000th reply?

9. Yax

Yax Ancient Mariner

Nothing of substance. Likely "100 000th reply zomfg i r amazing" quickly as hell so nobody would beat me to the punch.

10. jazz from hell

Re: lativity
    Thanks. That's an interesting page, got me educated a bit about the Fermi Paradox. The whole universe is our own (for all you superstitious alien believers)!

Photons have always confused me (and that article is a little long...:)) But light not being able to escape black holes doesn't have anything to do with gravity as such, because photons have no mass, right? Isn't 'gravity' a term to be avoid in post Newton physics, in favour of space that's being bent (which appears to be gravity)?

11. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

It'd probably be something like

Or somesuch.

12. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

The LC Maidenfans Meetup World Tour is officially over. This year I have spent time with the following Maidenfans:

@Black Wizard
    @Shadow
    @Brigantium
    @Perun
    @Ariana
    @national acrobat
    @Forostar
    @Dr. Eddies Wingman
    @Albie
    @Black Abyss Babe
    @Wästed The Great
    @bearfan
    @MrKnickerbocker
    @Detective Beauregard
    @Lampwick 43
    @Natalie
    @Yax

Think about how epic a community we have where we can arrange these meetups and share space in what ends up being a grand manner. We're truly lucky. Next up - we need to start thinking about 2018!

13. Zare

Don't look them as packets of light, they can be if they're of appropriate frequency, but it's best to visualize them as quanta of energy.
    Regarding your gravity questions, try reading this ;

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/ph...nd-bullet-follow-different-paths-intermediate

I can somewhat abstract these things in my head and I have some basic understanding of physics involved. I'm an amateur in this field, enthusiast, so it's hard to explain something I don't understand down to the bone.

jazz from hell likes this.
  14. jazz from hell

Cool. We're all amateurs, aren't we. Interesting discussion.

15. Travis The Dragon

Travis The Dragon The dreamers may die, but the dreams live on.

I'll have to try and add my name to that list at some time.

16. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

I just found thousand_sun's Facebook profile.

It's as creepy as you would imagine it.

I will share it next Pony.

17. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

Is it the creepiest profile is?

18. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

What, just stumbled across it?

19. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Not as creepy as those of us who stalk him.... ;)

20. Yax

Yax Ancient Mariner

Is it Christmas already?