JUDAS PRIEST ALBUM RANKING GAME: #3 REVEALED

I always found it super impressive that they produced their best album (and one of the genre's finest) so deeply inside their discography.
16 years since Rocka Rolla; quite unusual, if not unprecedented!
Don't forget Defenders Of The Faith. If it wasn't for the last 2 songs... they don't feel like a proper song.

Edit: but yeah, Painkiller has that genre's defines thing.

Don't forget Defenders Of The Faith. If it wasn't for the last 2 songs...

I worship DotF but that was a mere 10 years after Rocka Rolla it's not the same thing.

EDIT after seeing your wow reaction: Remember the impressive here isn't that much the quality of the album, but the fact that it was released many years from the depute. 10 years is impressive, but 16 is mind boggling.

And I cannot recall another genre -defining album in rock so far from depute. RHCP's Californication (15 years) was super great but not defining, same as Motörhead's Bastards (16 years).

Last edited:
I've listened to them all many times. And over the past month or two, I've listened to them again, carefully.

Screaming is Judas Priest's best album. It's hooky like Steel, intense like Painkiller, atmospheric and varied like Sin After Sin and exquisitely crafted and powerful like Defenders.

All the little things that go into a great album are there: originality, sound, performances, pacing, variety, cohesion and most importantly loads of great songs.

But the re-listen made it crystal clear that what make this album so special is the ride. Both within individual songs, and from track to track, the band makes like a fighter jet performance team: each individual instrument taking turns shifting you from hook to hook, riff to riff, rhythm to rhythm often at supersonic speeds but always in sync, passing the baton of focus from moment to moment in a way that constantly keeps you on the edge of your seat without ever feeling mindless, self-indulgent or out-of-control.

Sometimes the planes are dipping and diving, Sometimes they are chugging straight at you. Sometimes they press you into your seat and other times they make you feel weightless.

The album is loaded with moments, none of them repetitive, none of which overstay their welcome. It's just one crazy good hook after another with the rhythm section a flow of lava allowing the three stars to pull on your strings with some of their most emotive performances on record. Huge, badass, frenetic, roomy, detailed and impossible to ignore.

It's the Raiders of the Lost Ark of heavy metal albums.

It’s definitely the rare instance, maybe the only instance, of a Priest album having the right flow throughout. A lot of their albums are frontloaded and end with a whimper, some just have strange choices for the end.

For a Maiden forum, ending with Devil’s Child is a weird choice, but it works for what Priest does. End with a song that has a hook which won’t leave your brain.

It’s definitely the rare instance, maybe the only instance, of a Priest album having the right flow throughout. A lot of their albums are frontloaded and end with a whimper, some just have strange choices for the end.
For a Maiden forum, ending with Devil’s Child is a weird choice, but it works for what Priest does. End with a song that has a hook which won’t leave your brain.
I only disagree about ''the only Priest album having the right flow throughout''. For me are: Screaming, Painkiller, Turbo, Firepower, Stained Class, maybe Sad Wings and Invincible Shield.

I only disagree about ''the only Priest album having the right flow throughout''. For me are: Screaming, Painkiller, Turbo, Firepower, Stained Class, maybe Sad Wings and Invincible Shield.
Screamin, Painkiller, and Firepower are the best at sequencing.

Invincible Shield ends correctly (discounting the bonus tracks), but the front is a bit samey and could have used some rearranging.

Sad Wings has absolutely terrible sequencing.

Sad Wings has absolutely terrible sequencing.
Aren’t the A and B sides swapped on that one for some reason? Does your opinion change if you start with “Prelude”, run to the end, then from “Victim Of Changes” through “Deceiver”…?

The Top 2 albums are Priest's best classics, so whoever wins will be great. I ranked Painkiller #1 - and because of DOFT's last 2 songs.

Defenders Of The Faith! Eternal classic and an album for the ages. An example of classic heavy metal. Emblem.
I could have ranked it 1st if it wasn't for the last 2 songs. Such a strange idea from the band. 2 intros?? Why? This is Priest at their best. One of the best titles in metal. Also, one of the best Side one in metal.

What to say? The songs, the riffs, the solos and the vocals speak for themseleves. Rob, Glenn and KK are oustanding. And the production is polished and sounds great.
Frewheel Burning - one of the best openers, that verses, solos and harmony!
Jawbreaker - essential metal song; classic metal riff, chorus, screaming vocals and KK's solo is amazing and one of his very best.
Rock Hard Ride Free - awesome melodic and anthemic pure metal. That intro(!), riff, verses, chorus, solos... everything is pure gold.
The Sentinel - Top 10 song for me. Classic Priest again, the riff, the chorus and the solos are some of Priest's best.
Love Bites - has one of the best rhythms and melodic riffs.
Some Heads Are Gonna Roll - another classic Priest rocker, listen to this brutal intro. The chorus and outro are also very fitting for the band. Top solos again.
Night Comes Down - one of the band's best slow songs for me. The vibe is just amazing and captivating. The chorus and solo are very effective.

Note: Eat Me Alive sans the lyrics and chorus is a great fast heavy banger with strong solos.

This could have been a perfect album. It desrved a special and longer title track. Heavy Duty could have been the intro for it, like they did for some albums. Defenders is an epitome of metal! That says enough.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Painkiller is another epochal classic in metal/speed metal. Pure metaaaaal! This is my #1 Priest album. It perfected what they didn't get to do with Defenders. Again, everything is more or less perfect. 9 amazing songs. Plus a cool Intro.
Rob's brutal vocals, Glenn and KK's influential guitar work and great solos (most of their best are on this album) and Scott's drumming are just out of this world and for the time. High praise. For me, this is the perfect album of the band.

I also love the heavier and crisp 90's production that fits the album so well.

The title track is one of the best songs in metal with its vocals and solo, Hell Patrol is a melodic anthem, All Guns Blazing is a speed anthem with a big chorus and another great guitar work and solos, Leather Rebel contains one of my favorite riffs and verses of the band (plus drumming), Metal Meltdown also impresses with its intro, riffs, high vocals, speed and oturo, Night Crawler is one of my favorite songs of the band, love the verses, the chorus and the harmony, Between The Hammer & The Anvil is a classic Priest rocker with its parts and the solos should be noted again, A Touch Of Evil is a classic ballad-y song with memorable riff, vocals, chorus and classical solo, while the closer One Shot At Glory is one of my top favorite songs and a perfect ending to the album. Listen to this heavy riff, verses, golden chorus and instrumental section with the solos and melodic parts! That's metal.

The whole album is an impressive piece of work. Literally every song has memorable parts and solos. Well, Leather Rebel is without a proper solo (I miss it), Night Crawler too, but it compensate with the middle part. The only ''weaker'' thing IMO in the whole album is the chorus of Metal Meltdown. That's it. There aren't many such albums. Another album for the ages. One of the very best albums in metal. I'm really curious with what album this lineup would have followed it...

About the overall results:
  • the Top 5 is best.
  • AOR this high is a nice surprise, Nostradamus should have been higher, I'm glad Turbo isn't lower, ROS is underrated. Everything else is expected, especially the bottom and the 70's albums.

Very nice breakdown of Painkiller @Kalata . Painkiller is an album I take for granted, it really is a masterpiece with no real skippable songs. I don’t really like Metal Meltdown but the rest I’ve gone through phases where I thought “this is the greatest thing Priest has ever done!”.

I have a real special connection to Battle Hymn/One Shot At Glory. It’s always my go-to hype song whenever I have a big event to prepare for. All Guns Blazing is probably my favorite off this album now though. That’s just going by how much I listen to it.

My personal favorite Priest album is Sad Wings, but on certain days I might tell you Defenders, Painkiller, or Firepower. Despite how weird it is, Ram it Down has also become a favorite of mine in these past few months. but I think I more so like the idea of Ram it Down more than the actual execution.

Last edited:
Defenders of the Faith should have been #3, because it has by far the worst song of the last three (Eat Me Alive).

Painkiller is a fantastic album (even the bonus track is incredible) and I hope it's #1.

Painkiller must be the most overrated album ever.
The title track maybe a bit overplayed (and that too in Metal circles only) but the album as a whole is certainly not overrated.

My ranking has actually changed a bit since I send mine to Mosh but my Top 3 is also similar to that of the forum:

1. Painkiller
2. Defenders Of The Faith
3. Screaming For Vengeance

What to say? The songs, the riffs, the solos and the vocals speak for themseleves.

#Lazy :p

The only ''weaker'' thing IMO in the whole album is the chorus of Metal Meltdown.

My favourite from the album and ironically the chorus riff is one of my favourites, not to mention the slowed down version right after the solo is just awesome!

But nice review man.

Back