Jan. 27th 2007 -- Happy 50th Birthday Janick! + Janick solos poll!

Jan. 27th 2007 -- Happy 50th Birthday Janick! + Janick solo solos and co-writing credit poll!

• Fear is the Key

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Wasting Love

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Lord of the Flies

• The Aftermath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 A.M.

• Como Estais Amigos

• Ghost of the Navigator

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Dream of Mirrors

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Out of the Silent Planet

• Montségur

• Gates of Tomorrow

• The Pilgrim

• The Legacy

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Genghis Khan

Ancient Mariner
This thread may, at first, seem a little confusing, so let me clarify it with two points.

1.  :hbd: Janick Gers.  He's 50!  Hopefully he'll create many more great songs with the band.  He is often an under-appreciated member and I think remembering his birthday is worth the time.

2.  This is a poll.  Vote for your FAVOURITE SONG that has both:
    a) Janick credited as a co-writer.
    b) The only solo performed on the song is by none other than Janick, himself.
I did not realize there was so many of them that fit into this category.  Originally, I was going to have all the songs that Janick co-wrote and soloed on, but the amount of options necessary would be just too much for any poller.

Enjoy!  I'll vote a bit later, when I've have time to put a bit more thought into it.

(If there are any corrections needed, please let me know).

That is a really hard choice, because all of these songs deserve my vote:

Lord of the Flies
The Aftermath
2 A.M.
Como Estais Amigos
Ghost of the Navigator
Dream of Mirrors
Out of the Silent Planet
The Legacy

I really can't choose!

OK, lets look at the best songs from this poll (in my opinion):

2 A.M. - So dark, so frigging depressing. I love it.

Como Estais Amigos - so nicely played and sung, one of the highlights of Virtual XI

Out of the Silent Planet - stonkingly good song and a great galloping chorus (when we get it).
Bruce Dickinson said:
Certainly by halfway throught the song 'cos I certainly wanted to get into the old gallop bit from the get go and Steve was like "Let's not give it to 'em straight away".

The Legacy - the pick of the bunch here. No doubt will be hailed as a true Maiden classic in years to come. This is where my vote goes.

My favorite song is Ghost of the Navigator, favorite solo is 2 A.M. (great melody!)

Since Ghost.. also has a cool solo, I'll vote for this one.

Happy Birthday, Janick! :hbd:

For me, the best song Jan has ever done is Lord of the Flies.  The intro is perfectly representative of the skills of each Maiden instrumentalist, and is wonderfully syncopated (especially the bass rhythm).  Blaze sounds great, and the chorus is very hummable.  The whole song is wonderful to listen to.

Raven said:
Happy Birthday, Janick! :hbd:

For me, the best song Jan has ever done is Lord of the Flies.  The intro is perfectly representative of the skills of each Maiden instrumentalist, and is wonderfully syncopated (especially the bass rhythm).  Blaze sounds great, and the chorus is very hummable.  The whole song is wonderful to listen to.

Did you regard the solos as well ?

First of all, happy birthday Janick!

This was a hard one, so many good choices. Its easier for me to say which ones I don't like so much, they are: Gates of Tomorrow and Fear is the Key. This doesn't mean much since I like them too, just not as much as all the others. In the end I settled for Out of the Silent Planet, with The Legacy and Ghost of the Navigator as runner-ups. I'm not sure I can say a reason, they're just great songs that have good structure, good melodies, good solos, and that touch of 'epicness' which I love so much in Maiden.

Forostar said:
Did you regard the solos as well ?

Whoops, didn't see that bit. :p

Well, it doesn't make any difference, anyway, as the solo in Lord of the Flies is one of the best on The X Factor, in my opinion.

Many contenders for great songs:

Wasting Love
Lord of the Flies
The Aftermath
Ghost of the Navigator
Dream of Mirrors
Montségur
Gates of Tomorrow

But 'Ghost...' has the best solo, so with that in mind the vote is easy to decide.

Back