is it illegal to share maiden boots?

A

Anonymous

Is it illegal to share Maiden boots (audio & video) in Soulseek in THE UK??

I would really appreciate if someone could shed light on this for me for once and all. Is there some sort of an official statement regarding this or anything?

I don't think it's illegal. It's our right!

Steve Harris also likes em!

The way I understood it, it's illegal to RECORD bootlegs.

But if you're not recording anything, just downloading what other people have recorded, its all legal. This is so because you are not offending by getting the bootleg from this person. Any bootleg stuff is 'non-official'. Things like the Hammersmith 1988 gig, which was a bootleg before being put on DVD, are still bootlegs, as long as it's not a DVD rip of Hammersmith and was the bootleg version, you're good to go

Tell me if I've missed anything

EDIT: I swore I put 1982 in! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Do you mean Hammersmith 1982, which is on the Early Days DVD?

Yes, it was originally a bootleg.. same with the Ruskin Arms gig. Ignore them though, that was an example. It's legal in my opinion

I think maiden now say that bootlegs, pictures or anything like that are ok as long as you understand that they are property of iron maiden... I dno how that works but thats what I heard

[!--QuoteBegin-iron_gr+Jun 27 2005, 09:37 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(iron_gr @ Jun 27 2005, 09:37 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]But in your post it's 1988!
[snapback]110202[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeh sorry! Typo. I swear I typed in 1982! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Thanks everyone for the responses. But is there a way to find it out for sure? Is there a way to find out what the official view is?

I believe this falls under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Silly Walks. Their offce is at 123C Fake Street, Cheapside, London. Also sub offices in Cardiff, Glasgow, and Leeds.

In all seriousness, I seem to remember a bootleg in which Bruce gave oral consent for copying and sharing over the internet. While this consent may not have been meant to cover all their stuff, it could be argued that way if it ever came to court (and knowning Maiden, it never would. I think they're happy people love their music enough to go through the effort)

In legal terms, then, you have both expressed and implied oral consent to bootleg as you please.

Back