IRON MAIDEN SURVIVOR #7: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 6th time!

It baffles me why people seem to have such love for "Fear Of The Dark". It's not bad, but it's one of the band's least interesting epics, the lyrics are cringey, and near as I can tell its main utility is to give people an excuse to jump up and down during the chorus. Can't we all just agree to jump up and down during some other song and reclaim this 7+ minutes in the set list for something more deserving...?
I'm actually with you on "Fear of the Dark" as part of the Maiden show. I think it's among the least interesting of the classics live, and it's been cool to see it twice but I'm okay with it getting retired. The audience participation has not wowed me either time. In fact, it's been "Trooper" and "Hallowed" that I felt connected with people even more than FOTD.

That being said, I actually do love both the album version and the performance on Rock in Rio. (And I think it fit the Somewhere Back in Time Tour too, despite not being from the '80s.) So I won't be voting for it here because the performance on the album to me is a magical way to close out the record. But am I okay with it being dropped from upcoming tours? Yeah. Not that they'll ever do that though.

You will never see such stats for the Reunion epics. That's why I don't want Maiden to make mostly short songs - they're too good just for that.
It's funny that this is the takeaway for a lot of fans. The Fear of the Dark songs aren't bad because they're short, it's because they contain mediocre performances, uninspired riffs, and lack the energy of a great Maiden song. There are plenty of great short Maiden songs in every era, including the reunion era and even including this album. Judas My Guide is top tier, unfortunately, it's an exception.

It baffles me how Fear is the Key survived longer than The Fugitive.
I think Fear Is The Key has a better chorus plus a cool intro, great melodic riff before the instrumental section and great solo by Janick. It was a bit surprising, but the song isn't half bad imo.

The only weak thing in Fugitive is the chorus. The production of the album really complements the intro.
It baffles me why people seem to have such love for "Fear Of The Dark". It's not bad, but it's one of the band's least interesting epics
''Less interesting'' or ''simple'' doesn't mean bad or weaker. The magic of the song is in its vibe, that starts with the intro-then continues with the fast melodic riff in the verses-then with the twin-lead guitar harmonies and the two great solos-and then ends with the outro. And Bruce's singing, ofc.

It's funny that this is the takeaway for a lot of fans. The Fear of the Dark songs aren't bad because they're short, it's because they contain mediocre performances, uninspired riffs, and lack the energy of a great Maiden song. There are plenty of great short Maiden songs in every era, including the reunion era and even including this album. Judas My Guide is top tier, unfortunately, it's an exception.
Of course. Maiden can always write a catchy and great short song. It's in every single album. I like almost all of Maiden's long epic songs, while in most cases the weaker songs in the albums for me are some of the shorter songs (and sometimes they're 5-6 minutes long!). Maiden have a talent for writing great long songs (unlike many other bands), why waste it?

Edit: Judas Be My Guide is an exception, the album lacks energy, mediocre performances, uninspired riffs? I can't agree.

Last edited:
I've grown to quite like Fear of the Dark, the song, over the years. It is filled with great riffs, melodies, and cool tempo changes. It's a bit pedestrian, lyrically, but at the same time it helps the song stay out of its own way (see songs like To Tame a Land or Alexander the Great for examples of overly busy lyrics dragging the song down).

It baffles me why people seem to have such love for "Fear Of The Dark". It's not bad, but it's one of the band's least interesting epics, the lyrics are cringey, and near as I can tell its main utility is to give people an excuse to jump up and down during the chorus. Can't we all just agree to jump up and down during some other song and reclaim this 7+ minutes in the set list for something more deserving...?
For me personally, before the Senjutsu album, this was the last "real" Maiden song - a song that goes somewhere, progresses effortlessly, reaches a climax, and bows out. Not the best of them but the last one. I cannot explain it better than that, sorry.

For me personally, before the Senjutsu album, this was the last "real" Maiden song - a song that goes somewhere, progresses effortlessly, reaches a climax, and bows out. Not the best of them but the last one. I cannot explain it better than that, sorry.

Dance Of Death, The Talisman, Empire Of The Clouds, or basically any of the modern story-telling epics in shambles, being like:

1674597356584.jpeg

:D

...And a great middle part, and a dramatic buildup. And the best outro you could ask for?
Not only that - great storytelling/lyrics, beautiful melodies, 2 amazing solos, great drumming, awesome singing (especially after Adrian's solo).
I don't think it will work if it was shorter because there are so many different and great parts and a story that needs to be told properly. The atmosphere is important too. And I don't mean shorter by a few minutes, I mean if it's half its length or a bit more.

I think there are two really strange decisions about the song (it's still a masterpiece):

1) Janick is without a solo in the band's longest song - although the song feels perfect as it is.
2) no proper chorus - that's something Steve usually does, not Bruce. Not that the song needs it.
It's their best song despite being a bit pompous.
It needs to be because of the theme. I'm not terribly wrong, right?

2) no proper chorus - that's something Steve usually does, not Bruce. Not that the song needs it.

I don't think a song like Empire, that tells a story and is pretty lengthy as it is, needs a chorus. In fact I believe it would've harmed the song.

Back