IRON MAIDEN SURVIVOR #7: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 6th time!

Infinite Dreams
The Evil That Men Do
The Edge of Darkness
The Wicker Man
Brave New World
Blood Brothers
The Mercenary
The Nomad
The Thin Line (that's a lot of "the" songs :) )

One of the hardest rounds so far...

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 18:
The Mercenary - 22 votes
Man On The Edge - 18 votes
The Nomad - 16 votes
The Fallen Angel - 14 votes

Promoted after Round 18:
Sign Of The Cross
Lord Of The Flies
The Edge Of Darkness

Dance Of Death joins the game! 11 votes allowed.

Infinite Dreams
Wildest Dreams
New Frontier
Age Of Innocence

Age Of Innocence is the weakest song in the list. I like Wildest Dreams and New Frontier, but they could have had better choruses. Gates Of Tomorrow's chorus is better imo.

It was really difficult to get to 11 votes this time, with SSOASS and DOD both being in my top 5.

Infinite Dreams
The Evil That Men Do
Only The Good Die Young
The Wicker Man
Blood Brothers
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
Wildest Dreams
Montségur
New Frontier
Paschendale
Age Of Innocence

Wildest Dreams' only actually good part is the VI VII I progression after the solos, especially in the live version. The rest of the song is forgettable.
Montségur has some of the greatest riffs and atmospheres in Maiden's entire catalogue, but absolutely ruins the whole thing by inserting nursery-rhyme-style saccharine melodies; fucking hate that song because of it.
I like New Frontier much more than most do, but it's clearly one of the weaker songs on the album (Gates Of Tomorrow is a genuine 10/10 in my opinion and I will fight everyone who claims otherwise :D )
AOI suffers immensely from the lyrics. Never liked Paschendale, it's one of the most boring epics I've heard. There are some good moments and the lyrics are great, but as a whole it's one of the weakest songs.

Last edited:
It was really difficult to get to 11 votes this time, with SSOASS and DOD both being in my top 5.

Wildest Dreams' onlys actually good part is the VI VII I progression after the solos, especially in the live version. The rest of the song is forgettable.
Montségur has some of the greatest riffs and atmospheres in Maiden's entire catalogue, but absolutely ruins the whole thing by inserting nursery-rhyme-style saccharine melodies; fucking hate that song because of it.
I like New Frontier much more than most do, but it's clearly one of the weaker songs on the album (Gates Of Tomorrow is a genuine 10/10 in my opinion and I will fight everyone who claims otherwise :D )
AOI suffers immensely from the lyrics. Never liked Paschendale, it's one of the most boring epics I've heard. There are some good moments and the lyrics are great, but as a whole it's one of the weakest songs.
DOD, Top 5 album - :ok:

Wildest Dreams has a cool riff and a great solo by Adrian. And the calm part after the solo, ofc.
About the melodies in Montségur, it's a bit strange for the song indeed, but I don't have a problem with that. The whole album is characterized by meldoic features and vocal harmonies (Montségur, Gates, New Frontier, Age Of Innocence...). Probably The Thin Line from the previous album inspired them. The Time Machine has a similar feel (btw, if played live, it will be the first song with such vocals and proggy solo played live).
New Frontier is an underrated song (even more than Gates). I've always liked Gates Of Tomorrow. I probably like it more than 3 other songs in the album. Janick's solo is great (his classic style, in Alchemist too). I would have cutted the intro though (although it's cool).
Age Of Innocence has a nice intro, great harmonies and a wild solo from Dave.
Paschendale boring? Wow. It's quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Paschendale boring? Wow. It's quite the opposite.
That trite descending guitar melody being doubled by the vocals through most of the song is super lame, IMO. And the chorus is fine, but nothing great. The muddy production clobbers the instrumental parts that could have had some finesse, too (though the remaster helps slightly with this).

I feel like "Paschendale" is one of those songs that a lot of fans automatically decide that they like because it's over 7 minutes long and paints a very specific picture with its lyrics, but musically it just isn't all that great. Similar issue with "Phantom Of The Opera", "To Tame A Land", "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" (OK, it's just barely under 7 minutes), "Sign Of The Cross", and more. "It's Maiden and it's an epic, therefore it must be great." Well, no, not really.

Had to double check and make sure I didn't go on a drunken Iron Maiden tirade that I forgot about. Great critiques @Jer . I have those same sentiments about a lot of longer Maiden songs.

Reactions: Jer
Voting for Only The Good Die Young (for promotion purposes), nothing from BNW and then everything from DOD apart from Rainmaker, title track, Paschendale and Journeyman.

Wow I like both Gates of Tomorrow and New Frontier but they're getting clobbered.
On the plus side my 3 favorite DoD songs - title track, Montsegur, Rainmaker - look safe for this round.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 19:
Age Of Innocence - 28 votes
Gates Of Tomorrow - 27 votes
New Frontier - 27 votes
Wildest Dreams - 22 votes
Journeyman - 22 votes

8 votes allowed.

Back