HYPOCRISY

Eddie's Lil Helper

Ancient Mariner
HYPOCRISY mainman Peter Tägtgren recently spoke to Denmark's Metal Reference about the band's new CD, "The Arrival", and the addition of drummer Horgh (ex-IMMORTAL) to the group's ranks. The following are some of the highlights of the interview:

Metal Reference: [I understand that] "The Arrival" was remastered and remixed because you were unsatisfied with the first result. True?

Peter Tägtgren: "Yes. It was because of my busy tour schedule with DIMMU BORGIR. I had to hurry with the album, and though I did some of the mixing, I had to go back on tour. When I got back and heard the final result, it sucked. So I remixed and remastered it myself. The sound was really lousy and too low on the first [version], but now it's good".

Metal Reference: HYPOCRISY are ready to embark on a tour in South America, and I obviously have to ask you about the change in drummer. Lars Szöke, who's been in HYPOCRISY since the early days has been replaced by Horgh, who's formerly with IMMORTAL. I suppose that you picked him because he's also the drummer in PAIN, your other act?

Peter Tägtgren: "It just got too silly. Lars hasn't owned a drum set for 10 years now, and that's an example of how dedicated a drummer he is... It just got so fucked up... we couldn't develop, 'cause he's not developing. So we employed Horgh. He's a talented drummer and has a strong personality. And he's dedicated to the music".

Metal Reference: Anyway... only few other bands manage to keep the same line-up for 10 years as you've done...

Peter Tägtgren: "Yes, I know. That's kind of weird... and sad, 'cause we were family. I still try to get some sense into this thing, but I can't".

Metal Reference: What will happen to HYPOCRISY in the future... the musical development? Will you record with a string orchestra?

Peter Tägtgren: "We might record with a real choir, and maybe some orchestral samples, but not an entire orchestra. Who knows?"

Metal Reference: HYPOCRISY has been Nuclear Blast Records for more than 10 years. Will you stay with that label?

Peter Tägtgren: "Absolutely. They're my friends, and we're a huge priority, so that's fine".

Metal Reference: For years, HYPOCRISY has been three-piece with you as the only guitarist, and in live situations you've used Matthias Kamijo [another PAIN associate]. Have you ever thought about employing a proper fourth member?

Peter Tägtgren: "We just did, but it's not Matthias. His name is Andreas, and he was also the live guitarist on the 'Catch 22' tour. He's our new member".

Back