How to deal with rejection? Or something like that.

I can't get a good advice because I've never been rejected for a job application. Then again, it was a while since I tried for the last time. I have my current job since 2001.

Lots of good advices by people here. Shows one of the strengths of the community.

I have my current job since 2001.
Which means you've literally been working there longer than Maidenfans has been around. Though I know for a fact you were active on the old BBs, based on the stuff posted on the IMC.

I was on a newsgroup called alt.rock.n.roll.ironmaiden or something in that vein, starting in 1998.

But 2001 is also pre-Euro era (has any of you seen guilders?) so I feel like an oldy indeed. I would not dare to make a linkedin account, who knows people start to think I want to leave.

I'm trying to get rid of my LinkedIn - I'm fed up of having to go through 12-plus pages of "prove you're not a robot by clicking on pictures" every time I try to log in. Life's too short ...

I've found LinkedIn far better at attracting wannabe journalists who are trying to see if I have connections that can get them a job than actually spreading my own net. It also attracts strange hangers-on who used to regularly pester me in my old job, trying to get publicity for nothing.

I've found LinkedIn far better at attracting wannabe journalists who are trying to see if I have connections that can get them a job than actually spreading my own net. It also attracts strange hangers-on who used to regularly pester me in my old job, trying to get publicity for nothing.
It may be different in your field. In IT, if you don't have at least a basic LinkedIn account, you can pretty much assume you won't get hired for anything.

It may be different in your field. In IT, if you don't have at least a basic LinkedIn account, you can pretty much assume you won't get hired for anything.
In media and PR, they're bigger on things like Facebook and Instagram profiles. They want to see you pushing your brand.

Little late, sorry but I want to thanks all of you for help. I just signed contract with new company - little bit different than my normal line of work - I'm now growth hacker in 5 years old startup dealing with AI, web development and web analytics. Exciting because it's something that I always wanted to do (I looooove data analysis, UX, project management and design and now I'll work with IT team testing every day how new button, call to action etc. is performing!) but my old bosses never wantend to pursue data driven environment in company.

About Linkedin - it's hit or miss from my experience - if you're in IT they will hit you every day with proposals. If you are like me - marketing and analysis you will get contact requests from other marketers trying to a) sell you their goods or b) marketers trying to promote their brands. I have ~950 conctacts on linkedin, my wall is full of articles about "how to create brand in 5 easy steps" etc. little bit boring :)

Oh and one more thing - it's job that I was not prepared to get. After answering almost every job posting in my city I started to read about small tech companies in my area, one of them was pretty interesting so I research them. They was dealing with interesting stuff so I made list of things that in my opinion doesn't work in their product as good as they should and I wrote to them something like "Hey, I like your stuff and I think that I may help you with making it even better. I have years of experience in a, b, c, d. I know that you're not looking for new employes so give me a call when any position will be open" They call next morning, we meet, talk for over 2 hours and they hired me. :)

Congrats!

I'm currently seeing CVs, cover letters, formal e-mails and essays with my level 3 students (currently teaching English) and if it is OK with you I'd like to use your story, specially your proactive approach, in class.

Congrats!

I'm currently seeing CVs, cover letters, formal e-mails and essays with my level 3 students (currently teaching English) and if it is OK with you I'd like to use your story, specially your proactive approach, in class.
Yeah, do it :)

It's great tactic - search company (or check for job postings) and look for manager in this company if you like it. Recruiter often doesn't know your field but manager must know thing or two about your job. So you can use LinkedIn to find decision makers or just like me - find contact page, wrote e-mail (forms dosn't work so well in my opinion and opinion of my friends) and be honest - you like this company, you want to help them and ask for e-mail of person that can help you with getting the job. 9/10 times you'll be forwarded to department manager which is much, much better than talking to some HR person.

It doesn't work so well in bigger companies BUT you'll get extra points for effort.

PS. I have allergy to HR people after meeting with someone who treated me like shit and doesn't known difference between Java and JavaScript (similar name - completly different languages). And yes - I was on JS interview and got Java questions.

Back