Hey Jon, a couple suggestions for the hyperlink feature...

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
First off, it needs to be more automated. On other forums, when you click the hyperlink button here is what happens:

First you get this:
Picture2-26.png

Then, you get this:
Picture3-14.png

Which turns it into this:
Picture4-4.png

And when you submit the message, it turns it into a hyperlink: Best Iron Maiden forum ever

On this site, all you get is [url ] [/url ] and you have to manually put everything else in. It would be great to have it automated.

Second, it would be nice if hyperlinks were either underlined or turned a different color because they blend in too much with the rest of the message and people might not know they're clickable.

So, if you could find the time to fix that feature as long as the forum's software allows it, that would be great. Thanks for your time. :)

I agree that hyper-links could be a different colour (or even underlined - or both), but the creating of them as the Rush forum does is a bit, well, unnecessary. In my opinion.

Bearing in mind that as you can change the theme from the forums default, changing the colour of hyper-links may dump the issue onto someone else. I don't know what other themes look like as I have stuck with the default.

Seconded about underlining, I have sometimes overlooked links because they didn't stand out from the text at all.  But I agree with Albie, I'm quite happy with the URL system now.  The other forum's system seems slower.

I'm totally against. I write the tags manually as i write the post.

How hyperlinks are handled is mostly a function of the board software. I believe I've seen vBB and phpBB doing something similar to what you suggest - the way things work here is the default for SMF (SimpleMachines Forum).

If we shift board software, the way hyperlinks are handled will change - otherwise I'm loathe to meddle with something that's not an absolute dealbreaker.

Cheers for the feedback though,
Jon

So, basically you don't want to mess with it because it would require entirely new software and that's a bit too difficult to do? If that's the case, I understand. I'll just use another forum to create the hyperlink.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
So, basically you don't want to mess with it because it would require entirely new software and that's a bit too difficult to do? If that's the case, I understand. I'll just use another forum to create the hyperlink.

That's roughly the way it is. I'm evaluating a move to some different bulletin board software, so it might change before long.

Cheers,
Jon

It's something that bugged me when I first came but you just have to not be lazy, which is understandably hard but it really isn't a major problem.

Back