For younger fans: what was big in metal during Blaze era

the point of the thread is about what was popular at the time. a lot of those great albums you are listing were not popular.
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Moonspell - Wolfheart
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe
Fear Factory - Demanufacture / Obsolete
Sepultura - Roots
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth
Bruce Dickinson - Accident Of Birth/ Chemical Wedding
Dream Theather - A Change Of Seasons
Black Sabbath - Reunion
Type O Negative - October Rust
Down - NOLA
Morbid Angel - Domination
Death - Symbolic / Sound Of Preserverance

Totaly unpopular at the time.

also, that's not a lot of great albums you are listing. If you went back to the 70's and 80s you would have the same amount of great stuff being released in a single year

Point 1: These albums were all releseased in a a MERE 3 YEAR PERIOD (1995 to 98) and regard A SINGLE GENRE (Metal)
Point 2: So no great albums (by great I guess you mean Influential or high quality)? mmmmm... Let's see:

Morbid Angel - Domination It's not like back in the in the day at least 90% of Death Metal bands weren't trying to copy Morbid Angel.
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson Could be named the most influential Prog Death metal albums of its time. but no... it didn't influenced nothing of what Mikael would do with Opeth afterwards. Like almost everything here it's totaly forgotten. And who are Opeth btw?
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk Most of the fan's genre simply call this the best Symphonic Black Metal album ever. Irrelevant as everything Emperor and Ihsahn ever did.
Death - Symbolic / Sound Of Preserverance I won't even comment these two records.
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul Simply put: the bible of Swedish Melo Death and the one of the records that influenced the most a zillion of kids to create the Melo Metalcore scene. Totally Irrelevant
In Flames - The Jester Race / Whoracle Guess who were the other guys that influenced that movement largely.... right.
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times When you're dubbed "The British Metallica" and simply created a genre in Goth Metal (with both Icon and DT), sell a crapload of records in Europe, you're for sure a nobody.
Type O Negative - October Rust Yep... utterly unknown and irrelevant! Couldn't sell a record BTW.
Neurosis - Trough Silver In Blood Another record that didn't create an entire new genre. Unknown Bands like Cult Of Luna, Isis, Russian Circles, Mastodon (just to name a few) would defenitly do the same sound if it wasn't released.
Strapping Young Lad - City Devin who?
GZR - Plastic Planet Geezer who? Burt C who?
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe Obviously nobody was listening to this back in the 90's. Only sold a couple of copies in Guatemala
Fear Factory - Demanufacture / Obsolete Industrial metal? was that even a thing in the 90's? Both records were a commercial fiasco.
Rammstein - Sehnsucht I can't even pronounce this band's name. Besides their families nobody ever bought a single record.
Sepultura - Roots Another band I can't even pronounce. Who were they? Is this even an album
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes I wouldn't say nothing to me if it wasn't for Purple's album. I bet they sold zero.
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill Wasn't this a Dallas glam rock band that only had realtive local success in the 80's?
Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve Djent and Mathcore... all genres that would defenitly exist if it wasn't for this record. Sure....
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings Gold in 4 countries but only because it features a former member of Metallica.
Bruce Dickinson - Accident Of Birth/ Chemical Wedding Bruce who?.... ah..... Iron what?
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth Regarded by fans and critics alike as one of their worst releases and a all time low in symphonic/ prog/ power metal.
Hammerfall - Glory To The Brave It's like it revamped a new wave of Power Metal bands or something....
Dream Theather - A Change Of Seasons Dream what?
Black Sabbath - Reunion A bunch of retired old rags who nobody cared about released the 1st official live record together and two new musics in 20 years. What's the big fuss? It's like these guys invented metal or something.
Kyuss - And The Circus Leaves Town If only these dudes were regarded like one of the best Stoner bands ever and were the embryonic stage of Queens Of The Stone Age...
Down - NOLA Pantera? Crowbar? C.OC.? Has anyone bought this crap?

Yup... I agree. Absolutely nothing happened during these 3 years.

Last edited:
Back