Favorite Maiden Lyrics

I don't understand this part (english is not my first language). Why is it so special ?
It’s a hard one to explain, but I’ll do my best (from my perspective).

Within the context of the album, the first line refers to how people trusted religion over the very real prophecies of the Seventh Son. In the real world, it can refer to how religion can often make you live under a rock (in America, the religious right are the ones most against the idea of climate change, gay marriage, etc).

The second line I think has a bit more to do with some of the shit that had been happening in the Church. The ‘80s was the decade of the Satanic panics, but a much bigger threat was hiding in the form of pedophilic priests in the Catholic Church. The two lines are a stab at, not religion, but the religious, and how they will often throw in their own beliefs to justify being assholes.

That’s kinda what I get from the lines, but other people might have different explanations.

Iron Maiden isn't anti-religion, but I would say there is a pretty strong current running against people using religion to take advantage of others, which is a pretty hefty sub-theme of Seventh Son in general.

When you know that you're time is close at hand
Maybe then you'll begin to understand
Life down here is just a strange illusion

It’s a hard one to explain, but I’ll do my best (from my perspective).

Within the context of the album, the first line refers to how people trusted religion over the very real prophecies of the Seventh Son. In the real world, it can refer to how religion can often make you live under a rock (in America, the religious right are the ones most against the idea of climate change, gay marriage, etc).

The second line I think has a bit more to do with some of the shit that had been happening in the Church. The ‘80s was the decade of the Satanic panics, but a much bigger threat was hiding in the form of pedophilic priests in the Catholic Church. The two lines are a stab at, not religion, but the religious, and how they will often throw in their own beliefs to justify being assholes.

That’s kinda what I get from the lines, but other people might have different explanations.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with you in the direction you interpret these lyrics. I think you need to take the rest of the verse, song and album into account. It's the Seventh Son talking, who has predicted disaster with nobody believing him, and when disaster did strike, the blame is being put on him. Having both nothing left to live for and nothing left to lose, he becomes a cynic and tells the world straight in the face what he thinks of them, and that they're a lost cause because they rather believe in show and delusion than the naked and uncomfortable truth. Instead of trusting somebody who tells them what they can really do to help themselves, they cling to miracles and bishops who give them convenient but useless solutions. This, of course, can be read beautifully in today's context, an that's why I think this song has some of the strongest lyrics in Maiden's catalogue.

Back