Drifter

How good is Drifter on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Another unfairly maligned song. I’ll say right off the bat that while the lyrics are a bit goofy, I always felt that the optimistic nature of them served as a nice way to round out that particular album. However, since I’m trying to judge the songs independently of the album, I will say that the lyrics don’t do much for me out of context. I think the vocal melodies are cool though and the song has a cool vibe. Yet again the guitars make this song work. Love the main riff and the way the second guitar and bass respond to it. The instrumental section rocks hard. A fun track with thick grooves and tight solos. 7

One of my favorite Maiden’s songs, Drifter have the energy and fun that Clive and Paul gave to the band and sorely missed, I wish they could make a third album with Paul before TNotB…

I want Rock and Roll
10/10

“Drifter” once again feels cobbled together for the runtime without Steve actually going anywhere with the elements. Not that the elements are great for a start. Paul singing about cuddling and shit turns me off, the instrumental section is among the band’s worst moments, and they extend the ending way too far. I just don’t get it. There’s a couple good moments here (like the guitar solos) but mostly I don’t want to sing it, sing it, sing it along, let alone hear Paul sing it. And god the final scream is trash. Boring and borderline bad. 3/10

So, we've finally reached the last song of my least favorite Maiden album. It starts out promising with a fantastic little riff, but as soon as the intro is over does the same thing MITRM did, where it goes into a completely different direction, one I don't enjoy at all. I know that it used to be a very successful live song back in the day, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. The only other section that's kinda nice is the slow solo, the happy-go-lucky part right afterward is obnoxious though. The performances are good, gaining another point out of appreciation I guess, landing a 4.

Back