Concept album?

A

Anonymous

Dance of Death had Death is the title.
eddie apears as Death on the cover.
Most of the songs are about death.

Would this count as a concept album?

There is a difference between THEME and CONCEPT. Every album has a theme but not every album has a concept. A concept album tells a story, like Scenes from a Memory from Dream Theater or Pink Floyd's The Wall. But every album has a theme or mood it wants to set and express, Powerslave comes to mind as a very obvious example of a powerful theme. So Dance of Death has Death as it's theme yet not as a concept... in other words the songs don't follow a storyline.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jan 2 2005, 11:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jan 2 2005, 11:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]A concept album tells a story, like Scenes from a Memory from Dream Theater or Pink Floyd's The Wall.
[snapback]95096[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Not by definition. A concept album does not need to tell a story. The music on the album just has to be a part of something complete, be it in terms of lyrical themes or musically, as part of a musical piece that wouldn't work if single parts are separated. Some examples of concept albums that don't tell a story would be nearly everything by Pink Floyd or Jethro Tull. Granted, both bands had albums that told stories and were concept albums ("The Wall" or the first side of "Aqualung" spring to mind), but both had albums that either revolved around similar lyrical themes ("Dark Side Of The Moon" or "Wish You Were Here" for example), and, both had albums that could/should be only regarded as one piece, sometimes even without the possibility of sepparating single parts ("A Passion Play" or "Meddle"). Let's examine "A Passion Play" further, even though I don't know the album that well. Why is it a concept album?
There's only one track on it. This track is not a "song" by our standarts, but a 45 minute long progressing piece of music, with many variations (just think "The Story Of The Hare That Lost His Spectacles").
A concept album does not need a story, it needs a concept, hence the name. This concept can be a central piece of music that is subject to musical evolution (as "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" on Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", many of Jethro Tull's albums), a basic lyrical theme (Again, "Wish You Were Here" with the central theme of melancholy and loneliness), a set of lyrical themes that are either related to each other, or combined by the general way the music is built up ("Dark Side Of The Moon" by Pink Floyd is a perfect example), or the telling of a story, which, however, is the least frequent form of a concept album.
Likewise, concept albums rarely ever occur in the world of Heavy Metal (and if, usually in the last form), but are characteristical for Progressive and Art Rock. In these circles, many, if not most albums are concept albums, and the least of them really tell a story.
Some characteristics of concept albums are long instrumental sections, which usually have a progressive and evolving feel to them, the tracks often form segues, and there are reocurring musical and/or lyrical themes in them (think of the voices and laughter in "Dark Side Of The Moon", the audience cheers in "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" or the various musical reprises in so many albums to get a picture).

Therefore, it's easy to say why "Dance Of Death" isn't a concept album. There is no central musical theme on the album, the tracks do not build up on each other and don't relate to each other. There is no progress in the album: each track is a finished, round song. They work perfectly standing alone or in combination with other album's songs (in fact, I frequently mix them with songs from "The X-Factor", "Virtual XI" and "Brave New World" to form a harmonical playlist).

Now, I could get going about the definition of "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" as a concept album, but it's 1 AM and I have to get up at 5 in the morning [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

If an album can be a concept album by mere music then ALL albums are concept albums since all albums have a certain, sound or "feel" in the music. That is a common THEME, but not a concept. I stand by earlier statement like the stubborn bastard that I am.

i think "concept" is in both - the music and the lyrics.
there only 1 maiden concept album called "7th son" aor something like that
but also i feel some "conceptuality" when i listen to "fear of the dark" album

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Jan 10 2005, 11:38 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Jan 10 2005, 11:38 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Did anyone even think about what I wrote?
[snapback]95645[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I don't think they bothered, like they didn't bother reading the Commentary. I had already explained there that there was a clear thread throughout the album.

There are no worse ignorants than those who don't want to be educated... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Jan 10 2005, 10:42 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Jan 10 2005, 10:42 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]

There are no worse ignorants than those who don't want to be educated...  [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]95646[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Oh wise and knowledgable Maverick, please help me follow the light, for I am a bit of an unedumakted [!--emo&:homer:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/homer[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'homer[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] ...and I cant spell. [!--emo&:rolleyes2:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes[2].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes[2].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

If you want to follow the LigHt, I suggest you either sell your soul to Adrian Smith or offer the content of your bank account to his newly-appointed high priest, SinisterMinisterX. Take one of these two options and you'll be saved for eternity! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Jan 10 2005, 10:38 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Jan 10 2005, 10:38 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Did anyone even think about what I wrote?
[snapback]95645[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I did, I just don't agree, join the club of informative posters that get cusually overlooked (I'm the president [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ). Anywho I've stated my opinions and I stick by 'em.

For me, a concept album would have to have some loose ends at the end of each song, ready for the next song to pick up on the theme/story, expanding and varying on it. Although, if you look at 7th son, half of the album was single material. Quite strange for a concept album, since taking the songs out of context should cause them to lose quite a bit of their importance. You can't really DoD is a concept album, death is a prevalent theme in the majority of metal music. One example that springs to mind is Ride the Lighting. Most of the songs feature death (except perhaps Escape and obviously Ktulu), but they are mostly unconnected. And look at Killers. Nearly all the songs involve a killer, but is it a concept album? I don't think so. Even supposed concept albums like American Idiot don't really strike me as having a concept per se-a lot of the latter songs on that album seem very unconnected with the rest of the album. That said, I'm not a great Green Day fan, so if anyone wants to take up this thought...?

[!--quoteo(post=129024:date=Feb 15 2006, 09:15 PM:name=Ascendancy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Feb 15 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]129024[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]'Aces High' is about people in fighter jets killing each other.
[/quote]
Messerschmidt 109s and Spitfires fighter jets? Are you sure? ::

Maverick likes accuracy, apparently! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129028:date=Feb 15 2006, 09:31 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 15 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]129028[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
he couldn't resist the urge to flame ::
[/quote]
Hmmm. You got me worried now. I hope I won't be another victim of this 'dragon'! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Nothing out of the ordinary, if I remember correctly. I was just being my usual self. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129035:date=Feb 15 2006, 09:17 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 15 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]129035[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Once I got chucked out of it for starting a thread called "Iron Maiden is s**t". That took me 10 minutes to get banned after all the n00bs couldn't take a joke. ::
[/quote]

I'm sure you would have got banned quicker by starting a thread called 'Blaze Bayley is a great singer' or 'The X Factor rocks'. Lol.

I believe it was a consious effort to make the album thematic around Death. After all, this can't be a coincidence, seeing that it was their 13th album and that Maiden have showed intrest in tarot time and again:

TAROT_DEATH_FULL.jpg

[!--quoteo(post=129062:date=Feb 16 2006, 11:45 AM:name=gor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gor @ Feb 16 2006, 11:45 AM) [snapback]129062[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]...Maiden have showed interest in tarot...[/quote]Speaking of which...

I found this essay that might be interesting in connection to both the artwork and the (possible) concept of the album (although I tend to think that Dance of Death is not a concept album).

[!--quoteo(post=129070:date=Feb 16 2006, 03:25 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 16 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]129070[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I found this essay that might be interesting
[/quote]
Wow, that's a brilliant page, mate. Excellent find! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
[!--quoteo(post=129070:date=Feb 16 2006, 03:25 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 16 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]129070[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I tend to think that Dance of Death is not a concept album
[/quote]
Of course it's not! The only Maiden true concept album so far is Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. Some of the others have a common theme that more or less connects the songs, but they definitely cannot be labelled "concept."

More people should check out the Commentary. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

Back